QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Fitting a TURBO in a Naturally Aspirated 4D56???

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / etc - non-technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pajero 4D56

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 16:38    Post subject: Fitting a TURBO in a Naturally Aspirated 4D56??? Reply with quote

I have this Plan Long time ago since i had it,i already ask many Mechanic and had many Information about Fitting a Turbo Kit to a Naturally Aspirated 4D56!

I have seen A lot of Information on Internet that say the Diesel Engine can Withstand with the Boost Pressure of a TurboCharger and it's Heat!

Not like the Petrol one that will Melt the Piston when the Turbo Kit has been installed!

BUT,i Have to get More Information Before Starting The Project of INCREASING THE HORSEPOWER OF A 4D56 WITH TURBO KIT! Wink

My Question is:

*How Much HorsePower are the 4D56T?
*How Much Bar(Kg/Cm)are the Standard 4D56T Turbo Produce(When it Leave the Factory)?

Does anyone had Installed a Turbo Kit in his Pajero Before?and How Much Horse Power will it increase?

Thank For Any Advance and WISH YOU ALL HAD A HAPPY MERRY CHRISMAS! reindeer   santa  reindeer
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 16:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

El Ricko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Winston

A few years ago I turbocharged a Nissan LD28 engine (2.8 6cylinder) that I had grafted into my Range Rover

I had terrible trouble with diesel knock and underfueling or over fueling

it took about 4 months of graft to get the engine running well with 8 psi of boost and required an electronic enrichment device

after 2000 miles the engine started breathing heavily and had suffered damage to all 6 bores due to the piston rings allowing the boost presure to blow the oil away

After a rebore and set of LD28T piston rings ( sent from japan) then engine seemed ok till it turned all the main and big end bearings.

So it got scrapped and swapped for tdi 200 landrover engine.

------------------

If you 4D54 has recently been rebuilt and the crank is factory spec and not machined, and you can fit a set of rings from a 4d56t  along with an injector pump from a 4d56t it would be worth a look

But from my experiances I would get a complete 4d54t  engine and fit it
Pajero 4D56

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks For The Advice Smile

I Think The Only Difference Between the 4D56T And 4D56 N/A is only with the Piston Ring and a Injector Pump! Rolling Eyes

But when i Examine and Compare With my 4D56T In My Other Pajero,the Injector Pump are Same,Both are Diesel Kiki Pump!The Only Difference Is the Manifold Pressure Compensation Device on The Top Of Pump! Confused

I Think it is a Valve that When the Boost Pressure Are Applied to the Device,it will Push a Plunger to bottom to Enrich the Fuel Delivery!

Don't know wheather i can Just Install the Device to the Pump without Any Modification as i see there is many Threded Hole around the Top Of Pump Where the Device Should Mount Wink

And i See your Previous Post,Are you Say The Big-End Bearing?As i know this is the Most Robust Construction In A Diesel Engine!
El Ricko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Winston

the big end bearings were a different design, the turbo ones were solid, and the original ones had grooves.

With regard to the injector pump you tend to find that they are set up differently for turbo applications with different amount of fueling and as you say the boost enrichment device

I converted a number of Perkins Prima ( montego/sherpa) engines to turbo when I was fitting them to Landrover's and i had to fit the turbo injector pump to get the correct fueling
redneck mitsi

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you would get abetter result and save time and hassles by changing whole engine with one that has turbo . wreckers might give you good deal on swap . not a big gain with turbo but still a noticeable improvement on power. aprox 15 hp to be had depending on engine and turbo .
Pajero 4D56

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do You Mean the Big-End Bearing for the N/A 4D56 Has a Grove and Turbo Ones Dosn't?What the Grove actually Do?

At My First Pajero,I did Replace it with a New Reconditioned 4D56T,But This One is My Second Pajero and it is Waste to Replace the Whole Engine Because it has a Full Engine Overhaul including the Injectors Nozzle,Injection Pump and Many More like The Bearing!

At First i Take The Car From Someone who has no Money to give to our Company so he Give Me This as 20,000 Ringgit Malaysia,About 3500 In Uk Paun!
As i Take it,it cannot Run and It's Hard to Get It Fire and Alot of White and Black Smoke it is in a ScrapeYard Condition!

After That i Send it to the Garage to Give it a Full OverHaul Good at Engine and the Whole Of the Pajero!Spend about 2700-3000 UK Pound at the Garage! Rolling Eyes

So Are there anyway to Increase the Horse Power of an Diesel?
El Ricko

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wilson

no is was saying when i was upgrading the perkins prima engines to turbo the bearing were different, you would need to check with mitsubishi if the turbo version had different bearings.

I would try to use the injector pump and injectors from the turbo engine to ensure the fueling is suitable for the turbo.
Pajero 4D56

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the Injection Pump are Just After Recond Few Month Before,i Think it also can be fitted with Fuel Enrichment Device that will Increasing the Fuel Delivery when the Boost are Applied Rolling Eyes

I will Check with my Mechanic about the Big-End Bearing Later Wink
settaz69

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont do it from previous story's heard then it will make more problem then they are worth if it was ment to have a turbo then it would have or as said b4 then put a turbo engine in

just in my opinion
Pajero 4D56

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice,i already get many information on Haynes about 4D56T and 4D56,they both are same engine and have a same internal parts,but i think the Piston ring are bit diffrent from the turbo ones! Confused

If for the standard turbo 4D56,how much Boost do the turbocharger produce?
Pajero 4D56

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the 4D56T(Turbo Diesel) has any blow-off valve?
El Ricko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has an overboost valve on the end of the inlet manifold as far as i am aware
Pajero 4D56

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the valve should open ONLY when overboosting are occur?

Not as like the petrol model that when you take your foot off the accelerator then it will blow the excess pressure?
El Ricko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiya,

yes it opens when you overboost.

( a dump valve is what some cars have fitted that open when you lift your foot)

paj seem to run about 7-8 kg/cm2 from what i have seen
Pajero 4D56

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

That dump-valve will produce a sweet noise when it blow the boost throught narrow spaces Wink

Anyway that it can be installed on the 2.5 Pajero engine as it does not have any vacuum to power up it Confused

Are you sure that 4D56T are running with a boost pressure at 7-8 Bar?that very-very much maybe its in psi form?i have seen some heavily modified petrol turbo engine,they only run with 1.5-2.0 Bar (Kg/Cm)!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / etc - non-technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: