2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

4WD usage (DUMMY GUIDE) lol

Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pajero 4D56

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 14:56    Post subject: 4WD usage (DUMMY GUIDE) lol Reply with quote

I see there are quite a few people who are still puzzled about how to use their 4WD properly – Most important, especially in a  notworthy Pajero notworthy !

Generally, the 4WD in a Pajero is one of 2 Types of system, either Part-Time 4WD or Super-Select 4WD (SS4)

--------------------

Pajero Mark-1
(Part-Time 4WD)

Let’s start with Part-Time 4WD

Part-Time 4WD is used on all MK1’s and some Mk2’s.  Part Time 4WD should not be engage into 4WD when driving on a high-grip surface, such as tarmac or concrete, and should NOT be locked into 4L when towing on that type of surface!

--------------------

Transfer-Lever Position

2H=High Range 2 Wheel Drive
    4H=High Range 4 Wheel Drive

N=Neutral

4L=Low Range 4 Wheel Drive

--------------------

Description

2H should be used when driving on normal roads when not towing.

4H should be used when increased driving power is needed, such as driving in snow. When using 4H, you may experience increased difficulty when turning and the steering might feel heavier than in 2H.

N is Neutral. This is used to drive a mechanical winch by engine power.  The vehicle cannot be driven when the transfer lever in this position!

4L should be used when 4H isn't enough to produce the required traction and torque.  This should be use when driving in off-road conditions, such as driving in mud, and to free the vehicle when it’s stuck!  The driving power is greatest when the transfer-lever is in this position!

--------------------

WARNING

• Do NOT corner too fast nor too tightly when using the 4H, otherwise transmission wind-up may occur!
  • Do NOT exceed 100 Km/h when in 4H mode and 60 Km/h when in 4L mode, otherwise serious damage to the transfer case may result!
  • Do NOT push the transfer-lever too aggressively or the Transmission in Gear!
  • DO stop the vehicle before shifting into 4L. You CAN shift into and out of 4H without stopping.

--------------------

Pajero Mark-2 or Later
(Super-Select)

The SS4 was a groundbreaking achievement for Mitsubishi, incorporating a centre-differential that can be locked for any off-roading, eliminating the tight turning that part-time 4WD might cause.

--------------------

Transfer-Lever Position

2H=High Range 2 Wheel Drive
    4H=High Range 4 Wheel Drive

4Hlc=High Range 4WD With Locked Center Differential
    4Llc=Low Range 4WD With Locked Centre Diffrential

--------------------

Description

2H should be used for normal day-to-day driving, around the city (say) to ensure quiet driving, preventing undue wear in the front tyres  and to keep the MPG Down!

4H should be used when an increase in driving power is required, such as towing or driving in Snow.

4Hlc should be used when driving in off-road conditions as the traction will be improved over just 4H.

4Llc should be used when maximum traction is needed.  It should be used when driving in mud or to free the vehicle from being stuck!

--------------------

WARNING

• Do NOT exceed 100Km/h when Shifting from 2H To 4H
  • DO stop the vehicle when shifting from 4H To 4Hlc
  • Do NOT drive on tarmac or other high traction surface when the transfer-lever is in 4Hlc or 4Llc

--------------------

Advice for Caring Your 4WD System

• Remember to drive in 4H for 10 minutes each week to ensure the oil is well distributed around the transfer-case and the front differential!
  • Check the differential oil after each time crossing water, streams, rivers or mud to ensure there is no milky coloured oil in your differential.  If there is milky coloured oil in your diff. then it has water ingree and you should change the oil IMMEDIATLY!
  • Every 3 months, give the each universal joint a squirt of fresh new grease!
  • Thoroughly clean the underbody, chassis area and engine bay every time after you’ve been off-roading!

--------------------

I hope this will help those of you who are new to the WONDERFUL WORLD OF PAJERO Wink  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 14:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

nitrodave
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's brilliant, took me ages reading several random threads to understand as much as you put there. it all makes sense.

now all i need is a dummies guide to fault finding on the super select system. only been on here a couple so i am sure it's about. i havent found any info on here explaining why my truck is selecting 4wd from 2wd on its own?
icomefromlanddownunder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice find mate, should help out the new guys
Pajero 4D56

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,I Hope This will Help Some who dosn't know how to Treat their Pajero or Shoggie Laughing
jimboz4

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy .....im so glad i stumbled on this thread,  WOW......now thats what i call usefull info..yes , as you can see, im new to this 4x4 stuff, this is my first 4x4, and first diesel, and thanx to this site, ive probably saved my paj from an early grave, ....SO MUCH TO LEARN...SO MUCH TO READ,,,but by what i have read so far im impressed.....thanx to all you tech guys "n" gals....

P.S.
          HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

Very Happy  jimbo  Very Happy
bob cole
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may also help,

bob
fastnige
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn
Location: the black country, netherton,dudley , west midlands

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

good post too bob .... most people have that on the drivers door but it,s all jap writing Wink  Laughing
djandyp

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:44    Post subject: Re: 4WD usage (DUMMY GUIDE) lol Reply with quote

Pajero 4D56 wrote:
I see there are quite a few people who are still puzzled about how to use their 4WD properly – Most important, especially in a  notworthy Pajero notworthy !

WARNING

• Do NOT corner too fast nor too tightly when using the 4H, otherwise transmission wind-up may occur!
  • Do NOT exceed 100 Km/h when in 4H mode and 60 Km/h when in 4L mode, otherwise serious damage to the transfer case may result!
  • Do NOT push the transfer-lever too aggressively or the Transmission in Gear!
  • DO stop the vehicle before shifting into 4L. You CAN shift into and out of 4H without stopping.

i dont think you can shift between 2H and 4H whilst the car is moving on a mk1?

otherwise, awesome post!!
tazbabe
Events rep (Scotland)
Events rep (Scotland)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm, that point puzzled me too, don't think i'll be trying it in a hurry!
Pajero 4D56

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i mean is when driving in 4H,don't exceed 100Km/h as the 4WD system of Pajero are not designed for such high speed Wink

You can shift in or out of 4H when the vehicle are moving,as the rule you need to keep the clutch pedal depress or put the automatic lever in Neutral then you can shift from 2H to 4H or vice versa Wink

But this rule are not added to 4L as the gear ratio are very different,but you can shift from 4L to 4H without stopping Wink
icomefromlanddownunder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pajero 4D56 wrote:
What i mean is when driving in 4H,don't exceed 100Km/h as the 4WD system of Pajero are not designed for such high speed Wink

You can shift in or out of 4H when the vehicle are moving,as the rule you need to keep the clutch pedal depress or put the automatic lever in Neutral then you can shift from 2H to 4H or vice versa Wink

But this rule are not added to 4L as the gear ratio are very different,but you can shift from 4L to 4H without stopping Wink

u can exceed 100km/h in 4H, been there done that  Wink  Wink perfectly fine on ur drivetrain

on the MK1 i cant change between 2H and 4H whilst moving, may just be my paj but i cant do it
Pajero 4D56

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you are right Rolling Eyes ,the Pajero mk1 are a car that some impossible thing could happen on it,so it just won the Paris Dakar Rally on the 80's and 90's Wink  Very Happy

If you one couldn't,why my one is can,but if you put it straight to the 4L whlist moving,you could hear a terribble gear grinding noise,the metal sticker says it can be shift in or out of 4H without the need to stop the vehicle,BUT this should be made at low speed only like some 20-40Km/h Confused  Wink
irenerich
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,i had Mk1 for six years and couldnt change from 2H to 4H....Pajero 4d56 what language is that Laughing
Pajero 4D56

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you serious Irenerich?Never put into 4H or 4WD for six year tou drive the mk1?thats could be bad for your system as the driveline for the front wheel has been stopped for a longtime plus no lubrication are circulating around the diff it could became stick or jammed,you should put in 4WD once every week to get it run smooth Wink
kylethompson30

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents had my mk1 for 8 years before they let me share use/ownership & expenses... in that period it was probably put in to 4WD about 5 times...

Thankfully it was alright (besides the auto locking hubs being nackered!)... since sharing use it is now put in 4WD at least once a week and usually for more than 10 mins  Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: