Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

4WD usage (DUMMY GUIDE) lol

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pajero 4D56

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear another people know how to care thier beloved mk1 Very Happy  Laughing

But beware,put a mk1 onto 4WD in a Paved road(tarmac) it must be in 4H,no tight turning,sudden released clutch/accelerating,4L should be use only on slow speed driving,if the precaution are not be taken,then serious damage to the transfer-case might result Wink
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 13:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Pajerophile
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 20:06    Post subject: 4WD Reply with quote

This is really useful info.... Thanks

I have a 1992 Paj. 3000 V6 autu.  Is there a recommended maximum speed at which you can travel in 4H on normal roads ?

Alan
icomefromlanddownunder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:03    Post subject: Re: 4WD Reply with quote

Pajerophile wrote:
This is really useful info.... Thanks

I have a 1992 Paj. 3000 V6 autu.  Is there a recommended maximum speed at which you can travel in 4H on normal roads ?

Alan

whilst its not wise to drive on normal roads in 4H, there is no max speed for 4H (its just like ur normall 2wd except the front wheels are also driving) 4L on the other hand i would say 50kmh, although i have gone a lot faster than this but that was to out run a rising tide along a boggy as hell beach
Pajero 4D56

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since i owned my mark-1,when i use the 4WD on the road in 4H mode,i usually drive between 80-100Km/h,they can go alot faster but i keep the pressure on the acclerator constant,in 2H i can push it nearly 180(172-175)Km/h if there is a really straight road Wink

4L is a really LOW ratio gear,and thats is the SECRET WEAPON  of the paj,it equalise the torque came from the engine to 3.5 times bigger to drive the wheels,thats mean 3 engine are driven the paj now,many 4x4 can't beat it Cool

i usually drive in about 50-60Km/h,they can go even faster,but the forest aren't big enought to run at that speed Shocked
Pajero 4D56

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pajero 4D56 wrote:
i usually drive in about 50-60Km/h,they can go even faster,but the forest aren't big enought to run at that speed Shocked

Sorry,i mean in 4L Embarassed
paul_c2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you definitely need to stop, in a Mk2, to go from 4H to 4Hlc (ie to lock and unlock the centre diff)? Also, when I went on a test drive the car salesman reversed after being in 4WD to get back into 2WD, something to do with auto free wheeling front hubs?
icomefromlanddownunder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_c2 wrote:
Do you definitely need to stop, in a Mk2, to go from 4H to 4Hlc (ie to lock and unlock the centre diff)? Also, when I went on a test drive the car salesman reversed after being in 4WD to get back into 2WD, something to do with auto free wheeling front hubs?

dunno bout the first part, but the second part bout reversing  is correct, it removes any transmission wind up
GearAFRICA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:28    Post subject: 4WD function Reply with quote

Great advice. I have learnt a thing or two, since I rarely use the 4WD function. 1) Maybe the reason y the 2WD keeps jamming is because of inadequate lubrication flow (I will try to engage 4WD some more and hopefully see some difference). 2) The manual for my Mark-1SWB strongly discourages shifting from 4H-N-4L when vehicle is moving and insists that one MUST stop the vehicle. I guess there must be a good reason for that. Good day.
icomefromlanddownunder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:48    Post subject: Re: 4WD function Reply with quote

GearAFRICA wrote:
Great advice. I have learnt a thing or two, since I rarely use the 4WD function. 1) Maybe the reason y the 2WD keeps jamming is because of inadequate lubrication flow (I will try to engage 4WD some more and hopefully see some difference). 2) The manual for my Mark-1SWB strongly discourages shifting from 4H-N-4L when vehicle is moving and insists that one MUST stop the vehicle. I guess there must be a good reason for that. Good day.

certainly is a good reason, the 2 gears are different ratios, and there are no syncros like ya "normal" 2wd gearbox, so if u did try the grind together and dont match up. no big deal having to stop, ur generally stopped when u need to change between the 2 anyway
Pajero 4D56

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can move from 2H to 4H without really stopping,but moving slowly and had the clutch depressed or Auto in Neautral,if from 4H to 2H it can be done at any speed with the clutch pedal depressed or Auto in Neautral Wink

If going in to next upper position than 4H it need to stop or you will have a nasty GRINDING,because like Cameron says that it's dosn't had any Synchronizer it just gear grip to each other and i had a friend had snap a chain in the transfer-case on the 4x4 Cherokee that he dosn't stop to shift to 4L,the whole transfer-case explod Shocked ,i think Pajero transfer-case dosn't had chain inside it hmmm

But Mostly MK-2 had a Vacuum type front axle disconnect that noneed to reverse or engage the front axle manually,it's engage automatically once the transfer-lever at 4WD mode Wink

You can still lock the Hub if the 4WD are use intermittently,but it tend to unlock when you turn a tight U-Turn or starting on a downward slope or reversing,so if you are Manual and it's a Diesel don't play with the clutch by revving up the engine and letting off clutch suddenly,sudden force could break something Shocked
andrewlowe13

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pajero 4D56 wrote:
i think Pajero transfer-case dosn't had chain inside it hmmm

My understanding, from my workshop manual, is that the Pajero (MK2 at least) does have a chain drive.
icomefromlanddownunder

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i thought it was chain driven too wilson, when i pull my spare gear box apart next wednesday ill try and do the transfer at the same time and let u know
Pajero 4D56

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some searching and asking i find that i was wrong,it was chain driven to transfer power from the rear layshaft from the gearbox to the front probshaft Embarassed
Pajero 4D56

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:26    Post subject: Re: 4WD usage (DUMMY GUIDE) lol Reply with quote

Pajero 4D56 wrote:
I see there are quite a few people who are still puzzled about how to use their 4WD properly – Most important, especially in a  notworthy Pajero notworthy !

Generally, the 4WD in a Pajero is one of 2 Types of system, either Part-Time 4WD or Super-Select 4WD (SS4)

--------------------

Pajero Mark-1
(Part-Time 4WD)

Let’s start with Part-Time 4WD

Part-Time 4WD is used on all MK1’s and some Mk2’s.  Part Time 4WD should not be engage into 4WD when driving on a high-grip surface, such as tarmac or concrete, and should NOT be locked into 4L when towing on that type of surface!

--------------------

Transfer-Lever Position

2H=High Range 2 Wheel Drive
    4H=High Range 4 Wheel Drive

N=Neutral

4L=Low Range 4 Wheel Drive

--------------------

Description

2H should be used when driving on normal roads when not towing.

4H should be used when increased driving power is needed, such as driving in snow. When using 4H, you may experience increased difficulty when turning and the steering might feel heavier than in 2H.

N is Neutral. This is used to drive a mechanical winch by engine power.  The vehicle cannot be driven when the transfer lever in this position!

4L should be used when 4H isn't enough to produce the required traction and torque.  This should be use when driving in off-road conditions, such as driving in mud, and to free the vehicle when it’s stuck!  The driving power is greatest when the transfer-lever is in this position!

--------------------

WARNING

• Do NOT corner too fast nor too tightly when using the 4H, otherwise transmission wind-up may occur!
  • Do NOT exceed 100 Km/h when in 4H mode and 60 Km/h when in 4L mode, otherwise serious damage to the transfer case may result!
  • Do NOT push the transfer-lever too aggressively or the Transmission in Gear!
  • DO stop the vehicle before shifting into 4L. You CAN shift into and out of 4H without stopping.

--------------------

Pajero Mark-2 or Later
(Super-Select)

The SS4 was a groundbreaking achievement for Mitsubishi, incorporating a centre-differential that can be locked for any off-roading, eliminating the tight turning that part-time 4WD might cause.

--------------------

Transfer-Lever Position

2H=High Range 2 Wheel Drive
    4H=High Range 4 Wheel Drive

4Hlc=High Range 4WD With Locked Center Differential
    4Llc=Low Range 4WD With Locked Centre Diffrential

--------------------

Description

2H should be used for normal day-to-day driving, around the city (say) to ensure quiet driving, preventing undue wear in the front tyres  and to keep the MPG Down!

4H should be used when an increase in driving power is required, such as towing or driving in Snow.

4Hlc should be used when driving in off-road conditions as the traction will be improved over just 4H.

4Llc should be used when maximum traction is needed.  It should be used when driving in mud or to free the vehicle from being stuck!

--------------------

WARNING

• Do NOT exceed 100Km/h when Shifting from 2H To 4H
  • DO stop the vehicle when shifting from 4H To 4Hlc
  • Do NOT drive on tarmac or other high traction surface when the transfer-lever is in 4Hlc or 4Llc

--------------------

Advice for Caring Your 4WD System

• Remember to drive in 4H for 10 minutes each week to ensure the oil is well distributed around the transfer-case and the front differential!
  • Check the differential oil after each time crossing water, streams, rivers or mud to ensure there is no milky coloured oil in your differential.  If there is milky coloured oil in your diff. then it has water ingree and you should change the oil IMMEDIATLY!
  • Every 3 months, give the each universal joint a squirt of fresh new grease!
  • Thoroughly clean the underbody, chassis area and engine bay every time after you’ve been off-roading!

--------------------

Locking HUB

*For Pajero equiped with Manual Locking Hub/freewheeeling hub it is necessary to LOCK the hub by turning the handle in the centre of the hub at both front wheel before you shift into 4WD mode to ensure the drive power reach the front wheel and FREE it when you want to shift into 2WD mode,you can leave it locked for confort and no need to lock the hub each time you shift in or out of 4WD,FREE it to get a more quiet,vibration free and fuel economy drive.

*For Pajero equiped with AutoLock Hub it is not necessary to lock the hub manually,the hub will lock itself when the drivetrain is enter into 4WD mode,when driving forward from initial shift from 2WD to 4WD mode in 2 Feet or more shorter distance the hub will be locked,a distinct jolt or a slight clunk will be noticed,it is not a malfunction and when the AutoLock Hub is engaged or locked properly a WHEEL light will illuminate in the warning light panel and goes out when the hub
                                                                                                                     LOCK
is in free mode,to free it all you had to do is to reverse in 2WD mode for about 2Feet or less until the light goes out,it necessary to lock the hub in a cold wheather if you hear a abnormal noise to heat up the hub to allow the lubrication.

WARNING

*For Pajero which equiped with AutoLock Hub,if the vehicle being stuck and using 4WD to unstuck it by moving back and forth,the hub can be free and the light will go out,if the engine are revved up high and the clutch are released suddenly the jolt of the driving torque will be dangerous to the people around or even the driver itself,the vehicle may suddenly unstuck and ramp into people in front so do not allow people to stand in front of the vehicle while try to unstuck it,it may also destroy some weak point of the driveline like UJ joint if the 4WD is used with 4L which will release a large amount of torque.

Care for the Locking Hub

*To maintain the Locking hub is reatively easy,for ManualLock hub you need to set it to free mode and undo the 8 bolt which hold the dial to the hub body,take the hub body out and see if there is any water ingress,if it do see if the hub body or the dial face had damaged surface,if it does a new dial or hub are need to be in order or the damage is tiny you can put some silicone sealant to the dial face and the hub body mating surface which may fix the problem,if it dosn't had water ingress scrape out the old grease and put a new grease on it but nothing should be exessive,the grease you should use is such as Castrol LM or high temp wheel bearing grease,this should be done about 3-6Month once.

*About the AutoLock hub,you need to grab a oil-filter wrench and warp a cloth around the shinny hub cover to prevent scratch,loosen it using the oil-filter wrench and the process is same with the ManualLock Hub

*Greasing should be done only a coat but don't do it too many or excessive as too much grease will retard the movement of the locking clutch

*If this is done regulary your locking hub will work like new even it is 20++-Years old

I hope this will help those of you who are new to the WONDERFUL WORLD OF PAJERO Wink  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
Pajero 4D56

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

No EDIT again Evil or Very Mad

Just add the information on about the Locking Hub,hope this will help Wink  Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: