Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

4WD usage (DUMMY GUIDE) lol

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
busumark

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello i am new to this forum and i found it very interesting. i have a 1988 2.5 pajero and for about a month when i put in 4wd when the car moves there is a clinking noise from the front of the car. there is the noise also if car is free but in 4wd and moves down a hill or when you drive. when in 2 wd there is no noise. does anyone knows what it might be? thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 19:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

61jason61

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

'88 i take it its a mk I then mate, sounds like hubs clicking.  try reversing to free them up, or jack front of car up so see if it has ' wind up' jacking up should free it.
busumark

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

61jason61 i tried reversing and the noise is still there. the noise comes when i put 4wd and stops when i put it again in 2 wd so the hubs should free. could it be something in the front shafts or something else
NJV6

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

busumark wrote:
61jason61 i tried reversing and the noise is still there. the noise comes when i put 4wd and stops when i put it again in 2 wd so the hubs should free. could it be something in the front shafts or something else

Does it do it in a straight line or only when turning? To me is sounds like your automatic hubs are shot, but without hearing it cannot be sure.

61jason61 wrote:

just to make sure i got this correct, it gets more and more confusing LOL

i CAN use 4wd but not 4wdllc on the roads.

i can change from 2h to 4h on the move, up to 60mph, but better to push clutch down, was told to dip clutch elsewhere.
and back again 4h to 2h.

the only bit i'm not sure about is the reversing bit,  my ford i had to reverse whenever going back to 2wd to free up the auto hubs,

your're saying in a mk II with super select i DON'T have to do this??

Yes, thats all correct. As mentioned, the super select ones have no hubs and the automatic ones are the ones that require reversing. So you don't have to.

P.S. Time for some more petrol  Cool
61jason61

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks njv6, yeah, diesel light on again.  thats a fiver gone jsut sitting on drive way, ticking over for a ten minutes everyday.

sorry can't answer anymore on the hub issue, my mechanical knowledge don't go that far. lol
PoCUK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys ... if there's anything further on this, please start a new topic/thread in the same section Wink

That'll keep this thread specific to the topic title thumbup

Cheers!

Simon thumbright
Pajero 4D56

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

busumark wrote:
hello i am new to this forum and i found it very interesting. i have a 1988 2.5 pajero and for about a month when i put in 4wd when the car moves there is a clinking noise from the front of the car. there is the noise also if car is free but in 4wd and moves down a hill or when you drive. when in 2 wd there is no noise. does anyone knows what it might be? thanks

Wind-up problem could occur on the 4WD system,find a place with minimum trafic,try to drive in 2H,accelerate hard and turn a corner fast this should free the wind,if not jack up either wheel and turn them with lug-nut wrench Wink
Al wadi

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:42    Post subject: Re: 4WD usage (DUMMY GUIDE) lol Reply with quote

Hi all, Newbie here  Very Happy  Very Happy

Got a cuple of questions.
1st. When and How i do i use the Center-Diff? Ie. Do i just put it in CD and go off road and if i need to use 4Hlc its ready or only use CD once I'm in 4Hlc???????  Confused  Confused

2nd. In the first post, it said use "4H when towing or in snow" I was under the impression 4H could only be used offRoad not on tarmac etc..

Sorry for the Newbb questions. I'v only ever had experience with part time 4WD, Landcruiser  Smile , my current frontera  Shocked. All these new gadgets and gizmos are a bit new to me  Embarassed  Embarassed

Ps. My frontera is no more. It had died, but has served it purpose Well Exclamation
Pajero 4D56

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:52    Post subject: Re: 4WD usage (DUMMY GUIDE) lol Reply with quote

Al wadi wrote:
Hi all, Newbie here  Very Happy  Very Happy

Got a cuple of questions.
1st. When and How i do i use the Center-Diff? Ie. Do i just put it in CD and go off road and if i need to use 4Hlc its ready or only use CD once I'm in 4Hlc???????  Confused  Confused

2nd. In the first post, it said use "4H when towing or in snow" I was under the impression 4H could only be used offRoad not on tarmac etc..

Sorry for the Newbb questions. I'v only ever had experience with part time 4WD, Landcruiser  Smile , my current frontera  Shocked. All these new gadgets and gizmos are a bit new to me  Embarassed  Embarassed

Ps. My frontera is no more. It had died, but has served it purpose Well Exclamation

I quess you have a MK2 Pajero Smile

1)When you put the Transfer-Lever in 4Hlc,the centre diff is locked and a orange light on the centre of the SS4 panel will illuminate Wink

2)If in MK1,yes you can't use 4WD on tarmac,if on MK2 SS4 system you can use it ONLY in 4H and 2H other than that will cause transmission windup,using 4WD when towing will utilise more traction and torque Wink

If you have other question...please feel free to ask Wink
astrex101

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS MATE THAT HELPED LOADS..ALL THE BEST.
Abbot

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i will print these pages off and store them in my glove box lol. Good guide thanks, guys
yo_sushi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking post, thank you, exactly what I needed to know.
makrin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbot wrote:
I think i will print these pages off and store them in my glove box lol

Exactly what I've just done - cracking information.... thank you Smile
arumdevil

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJV6 wrote:
If anyone wants more detail on how the super select or auto/manual hubs actually works then just sing out.

yes I want some more detail please!

My dad has a MKII Shogn with Super Select including a rear locking diff. I basically understand all of that although I'm not clear on how the flanges you mention work although I understand what they achieve. I would like to understand how they actually work if possible.

More importantly, my friend has a Delica which is a MKI so no super select. I under stand in what situations the different modes can and can't be used but I still have some questions as to exactly what is where and how it works hardware-wise:

1. What is between the front and rear axles on this earlier system? Obviously the gearbox and transfer case, but how is the power shared between the two axles? A locking diff? if not then what and how does it work?

2. What do the locking hubs (manual or auto) actually lock and to what?

Once this system is in 4WD, are all 4 wheels locked at the same speed (as a super select would be with centre and rear (and front if it could) diffs locked )? or is there still chance of all power going to one wheel if it loses traction?

I hope you can clarify this for me Smile

many thanks,

arum
NJV6

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between the front and rear axles on the vehicle without super select is a simple transfer case where you pull a lever and it moves a splined thingie and locks it solid between front and rear outputs. On one with super select it locks it solid as well but then goes through another diff to allow movement. This is the centre diff which you then go on to lock.

Once the centre diff is locked on super select box and the older box is put in 4x4 then the transfer cases will behave identically. ie. Solid drive front and rear.

Drive flanges don't have anything to do, they are just like having your manual hubs always in. If you under stand their point then that should make sense? Just means you don't need top hop out of the vehicle to put it in 4WD (at the front wheels) as it is always engaged (front diff and cv's always turning).

The manual or auto hubs and fixed drive flanges lock the axle at the most outer end of the CV and front driveline to the hub. The reason you would have hubs is to reduce wear and tear on the front diff, and cv's when you are on the hard surfaces as you can unlock them. Which means when you are in 2WD at the transfer case with the hubs unlocked the front diff and cv's are not turning no matter what speed you are doing. If you put it in 4WD at the transfer case but leave your hubs unlocked then you are still in 2WD, the diff and cv's will be turning but its not connected to anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: