QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

4WD usage (DUMMY GUIDE) lol

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markopollo

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!!!!!!

I have been reading loads of confusing pages on how to work the different drive options and in the space of 5 mins i learned all i need to know, Thanks agen!!!  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

Marko
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 17:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

SIRHCRETSO1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, for a Super Select II (Mk II), you are able to treat 4H as an all-time 4wd?  In other words, could you go 120km/h in 4H?  Would you have to resist taking fast turns?
bengreen

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

What A/T setting is best offroad?
loopyles

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi im new and have a question , if im towing a horse box fully loaded and in mud/sand which gear is best to use please ?
loopyles

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

im i have super select btw
gazmantoo

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHIFTING 2low to 4low ON THE FLY

You're clearly referring to the grown up Pajero...but what about my little Pajero Mini 660cc???, can I shift from 2low to 4low on the fly too?, I'd rather someone else who has one confirm this either way than me finding out by accident that you cannot, Shocked...
Glendrick

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 23:20    Post subject: Changing from 4H back into 2H Reply with quote

I've been told that to change my S reg 2.8 diesel automatic Shogun from 4H back into 2H I need to stop, move the lever to 2H and then reverse back 5 yards.

Is this correct?
NJV6

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, as it is posted, you don't need to stop to change from 2h to 4h and vice versa. Some find they need to reverse up to get the front wheel dash lights to stop flashing but if everything is working as it should, you wouldn't need to reverse.
Glendrick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:54    Post subject: Shifting from 4H to 2H Reply with quote

ok thanks for that.

it was the garage that looks after my cars that told me i need to reverse to get out of 4H following an incident where i used 4H to get out of a field while pulling a trailer, then moved the stick to 2H on the move once i was back on the tarmac.

a few minutes later there was an enormous bang from underneath, and when the garage checked it, the propshaft to the front axle was wrecked.

apparently it had not come out of 4H properly, but i thought i could use 4H on tarmac so i don't understand what went wrong but whatever it was, it cost me a new propshaft!!!! Sad
NJV6

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!, thats crazy! Never had one of those let go, thats some serious pain, or the universal joint was really stuffed. You can use 4H on tarmac but not 4HLc.
Glendrick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 23:50    Post subject: Changing from 4H to 2H Reply with quote

It was crazy, but that's what happened!!

I've been reading through this thread from start to finish and I noticed this post about the positions on the transfer knob:

See your lever, if marked as follow, you have the SS4:

4Llc

PRESS
                                                                     4Hlc
                                                                       4H
                                                                       2H

PRESS is written in red and means you have to press down the lever to go into 4Llc  

You can use 4H on the road,4Hlc on the mud and 4Llc on climb(mud),any surface that are low traction the lc must be called  

From 2H to 4H and vice versa can be done at speed up to 60Mph (100Km/h), release accelerator and put auto lever into N or depress the clutch pedal on manual and it will go like a dream  

SS4 on MK2 dosn't had Freewheeling Hub as NJV 6 mentioned,it are always locked to the drive shaft so no need reversing

Reading that post has got me wondering if I pushed the t/f lever too far forward and gone into 4Hlc instead of 4H by mistake without realising what I'd done.

I remember that I put it into 4WD while I was stationary before I attempted to pull the trailer out of the field so it would have gone into 4Hlc without difficulty, but then once I was out on the road, assuming I was in 4H, I moved the t/f lever back to 2H without stopping.

But if I'd put it into 4Hlc by mistake it would not have disengaged and would have wound up the transmission until something broke.

Just a thought, but could explain why I ended up with a knackered propshaft!!!

The other interesting thing in that post is this bit about changing from 2H to 4H or vice versa: "release accelerator and put auto lever into N"

That's the first time I've heard any mention of moving the auto lever to N before moving between 2H and 4H but I can understand the logic because it relieves the transmission of all pressure completely, just like dipping the clutch on a manual, thus making for an easy change.

Any comment?
NJV6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just lift the throttle slightly so it is not under load (accelerating or decelerating) and whistle it through. You don't need to stop, remember it was designed to be done on the move.

Take it out on your road and just try it.
lukea890

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 17:52    Post subject: 4WD - Mk1 and 2 Reply with quote

I had a '90 Mk1 with auto hubs. You DO have to stop to move between 2 and 4WD, but quite often didin't engage properly until i'd driven a couple of feet SLOWLY and sometimes needed to reverse a couple of feet SLOWLY to get back to 2WD.

I now have a '92 Mk2 with SS4. No need to stop for 2-4WD, but must be in N to move from 4WD to 4Hlc and 4Llc.

Currently stuck in 4WD 'cos a previous owner has put a gert dink in the front driveshaft cover connected to the actuator so close to the diff it physically cannot move in. Not looked too hard yet but hope to get away with blending out the damage, otherwise might be expensive. Even doing most work myself I've easily paid the same in maint as i did to buy (£1500) but 'she's worth it' lol
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

On super select you can select 4hlc (centre lock in high) on the move,it's only low ratio truck has to be stopped and in N.
lukea890

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 19:57    Post subject: My mistake Reply with quote

I stand corrected, you can change fro 4 H to 4HLc on the move lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: