2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

4WD usage (DUMMY GUIDE) lol

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJV6

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! It's written in this thread loads of times.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

FreebirdUK

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:58    Post subject: Part time 4WD Question Reply with quote

New member, new to 4WD, just bought Shogun Sport
I understand how part time 4WD works now and that its not to be used on paved roads. This morning at 5.30 side roads really icy and I live on a hill and some **** was parked opposite my drive making it a little tight to get out and my drives slopes down to the road and i didn't want to slide into him. So working on the principle 'every little bit helps' I put it into 4WD just to get down the slope and on the road. Coming back at 6.00 am the road still icy, I didn't use 4WD but as I turned the corner (slowly) and started up the hill the wheels started spinning and we were coming to a stop. So (every little bit helps again) I put it into 4WD hoping this will help. We did keep going but there was some spinning of the wheels, but I was able to continue past my drive and then reverse up the slope onto it. Now I still need the 4WD checked having just bought the vehicle (no 4WD lights on dash), but assuming it was working;
1. Was it ok to use part time 4WD in these circumstances as the wheels could rotate at different speeds?
2. Do you think that little bit helped.
BTW I am pretty experienced at driving in icy conditions as I used to drive HGvs over the Massif Central to Southern France.
Phil
brax

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

mines a mk2 pajero with super select and have ragged the *beep* of it in 2h and 4h,i just back of the throttle and change.works well in most conditions even dry tarmac though the steering can get a bit heavy.changes effortlessly at 60 to 70 mph in the uk never had a problem with it.the rest I just stop hit neutral and go works well but tbh the 4h gets me over most things
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes and yes ,ice is tricky at the best of times,also what boots are on plays a big part Wink
brax

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

proper boots is the key for ice
popuptoaster

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wont instantly kill your 4x4 system even in 4H on the road as long as you drive in a straight line in pretty much any 4x4.

The issues come from transmission wind up, which is when one or more wheels tries to turn at different speeds when they are all physically locked together.

Wheels will try to turn at different speeds under all sorts of circumstances but the main one to worry about is while cornering on high grip surfaces as none of the wheels can slip enough to match speeds so something else has to give, drive in a straight line however and you'll be fine for short periods such as trying to get up an icy hill.
zulublue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my 93 Paj up on the ramp today, I've lifted the motor up with all wheels off the ground and wanted to check the 4WD system (note the engine was not running for this) in 2WD I spin one of the rear wheels and both rear move forwards, (OK) I moved the transfer box in to 4H spun the rear wheel and all 4 wheels turn (OK), the same happened for 4HLC (OK). however when it was moved to 4LLC only the 2 rear wheels turned; could this be an issue or do I need to drive it to check this system.
Oakley.r

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

For piece of mind, you can use the normal 4wd on dry roads without it destroying my difs then.
elcouloume

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:09    Post subject: 4 WDs not just mitsu Reply with quote

Re using 4WDs .Winter time is coming . Your 4X4 is heavy so don't assume you can drive on " roads" better than 2WDs . A 2WD will break away ( skid, slide ,) if driving sensibly with a degree of warning but with a high center gravity and heavy 4WDs the break away can be instentanious without warning with dire consequences  . So with that always in mind select High 4wd - limited speeds and running time ( assuming not permanent ) before arriving at icing point ( beware of raised carriageways / bridges that ice up first ) and slow down and let the idiots pass you you'll see them in a ditch further on  ; Snow is surely obvious - do not select rear diff locks unless youve no choice ( directional control can be virtually impossible !) Deisel engined 4WDs do not need heavy throttle tick over is prefered for best low speed grip . Slow down select a lower gear  at top/ start of a descent in order to minimise need for brakes ( avoid if possible and use very lightly ) again deisels provide best control - petrol engined 4WDs with NO center diffs (ie  NOT  allwheel drives ) AND  4WD selected can benefit from light use / first klick of handbrake whilst descending ( to provide a degree of engine braking but do not let engine stall ) Low speed steep descents  Petrol and deisel engine braking can create a slide so be prepared to touch throttle( lightly and literally a second or two only ) to correct loss of grip !  Stating the obvious don't put yourself in a no exit situation think first always . Off road driving will follow on from above with low box and difflocks when needed but what seems to becoming quite common  driving through flooded roads the road might not be there and in urban environments manholes lifted by hydraulic preasures so don't assume and become a charlie
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful info there!

I was once confronted with a Range Rover heading towards me on snow. It was sideways with all four wheels locked and a driver who was looking rather concerned that his posh 4WD was not good on snow.

.... he did have low-profile road tyres on it though and was very happy when I got out of his way. I still had full control due to having AT tyres on mine.
elcouloume

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:48    Post subject: low profiles v ATs Reply with quote

RR sliding sideways low profile tyres - Paj II with ATs no problem . My previous comment was in the same ilk expensive toys with drivers who don't know what a 4x4 is . In Uk many of these fall over on dry motorways! London / M25 traffic Paj II do you have a manual box cos low box is best for those dry traffic conditions - saves the clutch!
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's an auto box - not needed to use Low ratios on snow yet.

There was a bloke on here who lives in Sweden who said that sensible speeds on snow in Sweden are about 100 km/hr.

He posted a photo of his tyres - they had metal studs in the tread!
elcouloume

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 14:33    Post subject: studs and ice Reply with quote

many years ago I was in frozen Baltic states ( liberation time ) and studs wern't just the rage 'winter' tyres were being hand sewn together from bits due to lack of - needs must eh got 2 speeding tickets within an hour one in Latvia and the other in Lithuania doing 45 kms "built up areas" frozen forests  and more trees !  and the best one overnight heating in a lorry non sleeper cab with pot stove coke fired yes with chimney out the roof . Serious time studs are not lawfull in some countries but they do work !
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest - we only need three snowflakes in this country and the whole transport system grinds to a halt  Very Happy
the swede

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 23:10    Post subject: Re: studs and ice Reply with quote

elcouloume wrote:
many years ago I was in frozen Baltic states ( liberation time ) and studs wern't just the rage 'winter' tyres were being hand sewn together from bits due to lack of - needs must eh got 2 speeding tickets within an hour one in Latvia and the other in Lithuania doing 45 kms "built up areas" frozen forests  and more trees !  and the best one overnight heating in a lorry non sleeper cab with pot stove coke fired yes with chimney out the roof . Serious time studs are not lawfull in some countries but they do work !

Not illegal in the UK. Few years ago (2009) I put mine on just before Christams in the UK as it started snowing and I needed to drive to Finland with the Evo anyway. Was great fun, especially being stoped by the police in Croydon and having them staring at my tyres as if they'd just seen an UFO  Laughing  

They actually claimed I drove too fast. When I told them I stuck to the 60mph limit, they complained they could not follow me and "they had a Land Rover 4x4" ... "Uhu, but you got poo tyres, officer. I got studded tyres under mine." :haha:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: