eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Weird Hi Pitch Rattle from top of engine

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> L200 technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitcat

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:03    Post subject: Weird Hi Pitch Rattle from top of engine Reply with quote

Hi all

Just a quickie. My Shogun Sport 2.5TD Warrior has a weird high frequency tappety noise coming from the engine or engine compartment when running at around 60mph on a motorway. Its not constant, more intermittent, but getting more commonplace now. I dont notice it, or put it another way, it doesnt seem to happen on town driving. I (yesterday)took it in to Mitsubishi for a cam belt service and was relieved of £650 for the priviledge. I asked them to look at this "tapping" under warranty which they agreed to do. On a road test, thankfully, the tapping reared its ugly head and the engineer seemed to think it was a "loose bolt" on the intercooler. When it was in for the service he said he tightened one of the offending bolts and road tested it again. Nothing heard thereafter.

However, I left the dealer after picking the car up and low and behold as soon as I got back out on the motorway it started again! I can only aliken this noise to "tappet like" sounds in time with the engine revs and for some reason seems to get quieter when I "feather" the throttle back. The noise seems to be eminating from the top of the engine somewhere or bulkhead area. Its not "intrusive" but definitely audiable and only seems to happen at high speed. There is no loss of power when this occurs and the oil pressure is normal and constant. Another strange phenomenon is that when accelerating in third gear it seems very reluctant to go past 3000 rpm's. Whether this is inter-related I do not know, but seems odd as in any other gear its completely fine.

Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone had this and can point me to any particular place to look. ? Its driving me nuts. Shocked
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

nitrodave
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like the timing could be off or you have a faulty crank angle sensor. the sound you describe suggests it's detting/detonation or pinking and the lack of power too
kitcat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dave, I did wonder if it was something akin to this. I suggested injectors or fuel pump to the engineer but he dismissed it.
kitcat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 17:30    Post subject: I think I have found the problem! Reply with quote

I think I have finally got the the bottom of the problem...

The annoying rattle on my Shogun Sport Warrior 2.5 TD which eminates around 60-65 mph and is intermittant 'seems' to be the EGR valve. It is still under investigation with Mitsubishi in Southampton, but we appear to be finally getting somewhere with it. Even the Poole branch rang them today saying they had a similar problem with another Shogun  2.5TD but couldnt pinpoint it. The EGR valve seems to be the way to go.

I just thought anyone else with a similar problem may like to read this. Will update this thread as soon as I have a definitive answer.
waynec
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaw its not the turbo overboosting??????????????
kitcat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was mentioned by the mechanic that the waste gate is also a possibility - will update soon
kitcat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here is the update. I picked up the car from Mitsubishi today and it has been said that the EGR valve was completely caked in cack so they have cleaned out the valve and everything appears to be fine. Whether its the placibo effect I do not know, but it seems to run smoother to.
kitcat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW UPATE:-

This is driving me bleedin' nuts! It seemed ok for the first day, and now, low and behold the noise is back yet again. Seems to be more regular now and "louder".

Any other suggestions? Even the Mitsubishi mechanic is scratching his head, which, quite frankly inspires no confidence!!
kitcat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

waynec wrote:

Apparently if it were the turbo over-boosting, the engine management system would flash the engine light on the dash and shut off the power instantly. I dont think it is this problem.
waynec
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitcat wrote:
waynec wrote:

Apparently if it were the turbo over-boosting, the engine management system would flash the engine light on the dash and shut off the power instantly. I dont think it is this problem.

Does if have a power upgrade???????????? if it does - light WON'T come on and power WON'T be cut!!!!!!!!!!!
kitcat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will make some enquiries, but to my knowledge it doesnt have an upgrade.

UPDATE:

Well after much consternation and swearing at Mitsubishi, they are finally getting somewhere. As you suspected Wayne, it IS something to do with the turbo. They are replacing both the turbo and the wastegate under warranty. I would have thought the turbo would have lasted longer than the 52,000 miles on the vehicle. Apparently there is a leak from the turbo gasket and the wastegate is failing to operate as per tolerances. So all being well, I get the vehicle back AGAIN tomorrow and hopefully this will have cured it once and for all.

Here's hoping!!
waynec
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink That will fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!
kitcat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope so - or they can have the damn thing back!
kitcat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another update to this ongoing problem. The rattle (which is tappet like) at irregular intervals, on accelaration or cruising at or around 60mph at 3000rpm's has been traced to the small chrome inserts that sit between the rocker arm end and the tappet. Three of these have been found to be cracked and are opening with heat. This would now explain the tapping noises. It has taken Mitsubishi mains dealers seven times now to remidy this problem! They have so far replaced the turbo, the wastegate, the egr valve and have had the dash in pieces on two occassions to find out what was causing this. I am hoping now that this has finally put an end to the noises.

Apparently they have had two vehicles in now with the same problem, both 2.5TD Warriors.
countymonaghan

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

New to the forum, I also have a shogun sport 2.5td and I have the same symptoms as kitkat. I was wondering what parts of the rocker arm/tappet you actually got replaced and if this has cured the problem as I was looking at tackling it myself as I have adjusted valve clearances before and looks pretty straight forward. I also have spent ages trying to find the cause of the irritating noise but hopefully going to put it to bed once and for all. This is my first mitsubishi and I love it don't think I will ever get rid of it best buy ever. Any help with the correct parts would be greatly appreciated as I have looked on fleebay and there are several different rocker arms and adjusting screws for the tappets and after phoning my local Mitsu approved dealer trying to convince me that I have a petrol engine when I tried to order a rocker cover gasket has somewhat lost all confidence in approved parts dept.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> L200 technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: