QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

DIY Oil Catch Can...much cheapness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Vehicle modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YOZA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 21:00    Post subject: DIY Oil Catch Can...much cheapness Reply with quote

I have made this mod for my Delica 4m40, but I though you guys my be interested as we have similar vehicles.

I am not the first to make and mention these catch cans, and I first noticed one when it was fitted to my Subaru, but that one cost the previous owner £90..  ...so I set about making my own Blue Peter stylee.  

I have noticed that oil has been getting splattered around my air box and sucked down into the induction pipe of my turbo then out the back of my exhaust.  

This oil/vent comes from a pipe/hose connected to the back of the rocker cover to the induction pipe of the turbo, it is designed to vent pressure/oil vapour from the engine, but as your engine gets older the pipe/hose also carries more oil.  

The oil inturn goes through your turbo then exits through the exhaust, I didnt like this set up, so I fixed it.  

Its a nice easy little job that cost me £8, it works perfectly and looks/fits well tucked away near to the brake master cylinder.  

The catch can is made from a 1 litre sized stainless steel sugar/tea/coffee drum from Wilkinsons...It is the barrel shaped one with a tight snug fitted sleaved lid.  

I drilled 2 holes 13mm dia on either side of the tin about 2cms from the top, I also drill a 13mm hole in the top of tin lid.

I then drilled a 3mm hole in the lid and case of the barrel together, for a self tapper screw to keep the lid secure.

I then cut three pieces of STD 13mm copper pipe to a length of 4cms, I placed these three pieces of pipe through the drilled holes.

To secure the pipes in place I used a two sleaves of hose pipe slid over the copper pipe 2 cms long, so the copper pipes are now sandwiched into position via two sleaves of hose pipe.(note put these pieces of hose pipe in cup of boiling water for 5mins, they then go soft and pass over the copper pipe easily, when they cool down they shrink and harden giving an excellent seal/fit)  

I then secured the back/inside end of the pipes with a jubilee clip for good measure, now they are fixed solid.

I bought a small K&N style vent filter off E-bay for £5 delivered and placed this on the top of the barrel lid, secured again to the copper pipe via a jubilee clip.

Next I took the assembly to the truck.....  

I chopped the original vent pipe in two and placed one end on to one copper/sleaved pipe, and the other end to the other copper/sleaved pipe, again using two more jubilee clips, you will see why I sleeved the copper pipe with hose pipe if you decide to make one, as this gives a perfect fit for the original bore of the pipe/hose.

I then cable tied the whole unit via the rear pipe to the securing hook that holds the brake servo pipe, and it sits perfectly and securely supported by the ties and its own pipework.

What happens now is that the oil from the rocker cover pipe/vent goes through my barrel and gravity makes it drop to the bottom, as opposed to through my turbo, down my exhaust and all over whatever is behind me.    

All I have now is clean air going through it, and the oil is at the bottom of my "catch can", which can easily be emptied out periodically.

Photos to go with the text.

Later Yoza
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 21:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

YOZA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually when I start the truck oil spatters out of the exhaust and goes on my garage door, or the other truck parked behind it, or the cat if I time it right.    Rolling Eyes    

It doesnt do that anymore since I fitted the catch can....clean garage door this morning, and happy cat.  Cool  

Also it has stopped/reduced the plume of smoke I used to get when I used the kickdown accelerating hard, this is quite noticable.

I just need to get some thinners to try and get the COFFEE sticker off, and Im done with it.

Hope you can use ths mod.
leebeelee123
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice mod indeedy, well done mate! Cool
kev 190164

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good i have seen these before and half that sizes . are they just for diesel or can you use them on petrol. i will try anything to keep my 3.5 tip top
JasonE
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job , saved a few pennies there  Wink

Not knocking your handy work  , but catch tanks usually have the entry and exit pipes in parallel , this stops oil being blown straight through and down the exit pipe  Wink

Im not convinced the top filter is always needed on these things either  Confused

Nice job  Wink
YOZA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, I agree with the comment on the entry and exit being in parrallel, so I am going to fit a 90deg elbow to the inside rear of the intake to direct the flow downwards into the can. Idea

It is working as it is though, I have oil in the bottom of my can. Smile

Thanks for the feedback.
Gerry.F

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You can also take a drain pipe from the base of the catch tank and modify the oil return from the turbo to the sump (t-piece) to drain the oil straight back to the sump.

I used to have to drain my catch tank every week, with this mod, I hav'nt had to drain again and I never have to top up between servicing. Been running with this set up for over a year or more, no probs.

If you check posts under my name , you will find pic's of the sump drain and catch tank.

Good luck

gerry
dulux

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will find that its most likley the oil separator inside  the rocker cover thats the problem. wants a good clean.
craiggaler

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

great job thumbs up wav
Leeizcool

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like something I should try as my 1992 2.5td swb pajero has oul in the intercooler and oil getting to the turbo ( I get smoke on start up and when I accelerate especially from low revs)

I can't see the pictures you posted of your mod, would you be able to re-post them ? please.

Cheers
Lee
mad mike

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that! Nice to see the pics  Wink
mad mike

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, but could you mount the tank just above the level of the pipe from the rocker cover so the oil could naturally run back into the engine?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Vehicle modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: