Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

radiator Q

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martyp

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 20:05    Post subject: radiator Q Reply with quote

hi all,
want to take the radiator off on my 95 paj 2.8 ,
and flush it ,
would like any help in instructions to take rad off please  Wink
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 20:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello MP  Very Happy

First you have to remove the intercooler.

To do this, take off the  two  large braided pipes, Then,

unplug the electric connectors to the EGR control solenoids ( at the rear of intercooler at bulkhead)   then,

The two EGR pipes (mark these to remember which way they go on re-assembley) i always take them off at the actual EGR and thread them throught the metal loop on the rocker cover.   Then,  

Remove intercooler,  Clean it out while you are at it. Idea  then,

Undo the tap on bottom (when Cool or Cold) of Rad, or/and Remove Top and Bottom hoses, also,  the pipe which goes to the expansion tank, then,

If it is an auto you have to undo and plug/join together the ATF  pipes in the botton of rad as well. Then,

the radiator shroud, dont know if they are all the same but mine has a corner which comes off first (on the right),  then undo the remaining bolts and jiggle the shroud  out.  Then,

Two bolts at the top of radiator and it just lifts out (not fixed at bottom)

i am sure i must have forgotten something,  someone else can help and fill in that bit  Laughing Oh yeah, there is an overflow pipe that maybe fixed but not on mine Embarassed

See you when you are flush Embarassed  Laughing
emax
JasonE
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

bah , if you only want to flush it : leave in it place , remove top and bottom hoses , get a hose pipe stick it the top then in the bottom ( try to get a good seal so most of water comes out top of rad ) then repeat a few times  Wink
Montero Gib

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had overheating problems with my 1988 Montero about eighteen months ago and 'in situ' flushing didn't work.

I removed the radiator as described in the above post and blocked off the the inlet and outlet hose connecting stubs, and through the filler I filled the radiator with diluted hydrochloric acid (Spirit of salts), this can be bought at builders merchants for cleaning cement stains from brickwork.
I left the radiator for 24 hours and carefully disposed of the acid and resultant deposits, then flushed the radiator with fresh water from a garden hose.

With the radiator re-fitted the temperature gauge stays on the normal position.

Note:- Wear rubber gloves, safety glasses and other protective clothing when using hydrochloric acid and dispose of the acid thoughtfully by thoroughly diluting it.
JasonE
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
hydrochloric acid
  Shocked  Confused

You wouldn't catch me using that , I've seen what it can do.  I might use it to clean my toilet but not a radiator made from plastic and aluminium  Wink
haylands
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I just cleaned mine out on my new (to me) 20yr old Paj, the water was a nice shade of rust before, I used one of the Holts two stage flush products and flushed it through very well with clean water afterwards. I also removed the expansion tank and cleaned it out with a bottle brush so I can actually see the water line now...Refilled it with long lasting antifreeze and it is now a lovely clear pink colour. Did it about 1000 miles ago and it's still crystal clear...

Mind you I then removed the rad whilst fitting the electric fan (other post) and back flushed it, no more crud came out so the above stuff works well, have heard of people having problems with this flushing stuff but if you rinse it out well and follow the instructions then I'm sure it will be OK. It's probably a diluted form of the above acid, although it says nothing about protecting your hands....

Have also heard of people springing leaks after flushing as the crud had blocked a hole so you have to be wary of that and check the levels every day for a while, and take a peek underneath whenever you leave it parked....

Pete
Montero Gib

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonE wrote:
Quote:
hydrochloric acid
  Shocked  Confused

You wouldn't catch me using that , I've seen what it can do.  I might use it to clean my toilet but not a radiator made from plastic and aluminium  Wink

Plastic would be impervious to Hydrochloric acid but I take your point about aluminium. Thankfully radiators on older models such as my old 1988 Montero were made from brass and copper which do not react to dilute Hydrochloric acid.

Most build ups are calcium based so even a salt vinegar solution would help to dissolve the alkaline deposits.
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to use Vinegar years ago Dont remember the Salt though. SOO many uses for vinegar theres a site somewhere listing them. Doubt if this is one of them though.
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.vinegartips.com

1001 uses  Wink  Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: