Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Towing Conumdrum

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tonyt

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 20:17    Post subject: Towing Conumdrum Reply with quote

Hi peeps,

OK here is the question!

- 1995 Mitsi 2800 TD Pajero SWB.
- SBS R4/2500 boat trailer (rated at 2050K load)
- Doral 230CC boat, 3929Lbs or 1809Kilos
- Car has the Tow Sure TC700 system on it

Is this setup going to be OK?? Is the TC700 the heavy duty tow option, I think it is.

Want to tow to Spain.

Any advice gratefully received!

Regards,
Tony
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 20:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Zodiac: Capricorn
Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can tow with that bar upto 85% of the towing vehicles weight.so should be fine  Very Happy
Tonyt

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm being a bit thick..the total weight of the boat and trailer is going to be about 2500 Kilos...is that going to be OK? I heard somewhere that the car would two 2800Kilos but I don't want to get this wrong.
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

3170 kilo's is the max you can tow with a SWB 2.8 ...........cheated googled it  Laughing ........just hope you can afford the Deisel Bill Shocked
Tonyt

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, OK thanks, I want to make sure this is all going to work before I buy the trailer! Could you send me the google thing you found so I can feel warm and comfy? Smile
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put in maximum towing weight 2.8 SWB Pajero  Very Happy
Lenny

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAJOR NO NO HERE:

You need the gross TRAIN weight for the car.

The towing weight is purely based on WHAT the car is capable of pulling whilst on an incline, it is NOT what it can legally tow. It refers back to the old farm trailer testing at 5mph etc etc.

The amount of people that make that mistake is boggling.

Look on your capacity plates on the vehicle, they have to be there by law.
DaveRob

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenny wrote:
Look on your capacity plates on the vehicle, they have to be there by law.

Yes, but as these vehicles were originally intended for the Japanese market, I think you'll find that the towing limits aren't widely published..

It makes it more difficult, by having models that were only available in Japan, too, such as the 2.8 TDi SWB. That was never an option to us Brits, I believe!
Tonyt

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are these plates?? I can't find anything....hence my post here..
Lenny

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonyt wrote:

There should be a plate under the bonnet with the vehicles weights on.

The vehicle weight will be on it, should be around 2100 kgs or there abouts, but there should be a GTW figure (gross train weight). Thats the figure you can legally tow.
The car can *pull* 3500 kgs from a standing start on a 1 in 4 incline, thats a measure of the cars capabilities. The GTW may or may not have that figure quoted as allowable.

The 85% is a guideline.

Think about it, if you have 3500kgs at the back, and 2100 kgs at the front, your asking the Pajeros brakes to be able to stop 5600kgs of moving load minimum. Thats the point of the figures. Add to a fact that if yo hit wind resistance or similar you have 3500 wagging the dog, so to speak.

Ive towed a caravan at about 98% and it is not a nice experience at all. No matter what you feel your skill level, if the rear wants to wag you havent got the weight to hold it still.

Like i say your GTW may allow you to tow somewhere close to 3500 kgs, but rather you than me.
paul_c2

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenny wrote:
Tonyt wrote:

There should be a plate under the bonnet with the vehicles weights on.

The vehicle weight will be on it, should be around 2100 kgs or there abouts, but there should be a GTW figure (gross train weight). Thats the figure you can legally tow.
The car can *pull* 3500 kgs from a standing start on a 1 in 4 incline, thats a measure of the cars capabilities. The GTW may or may not have that figure quoted as allowable.

The 85% is a guideline.

Think about it, if you have 3500kgs at the back, and 2100 kgs at the front, your asking the Pajeros brakes to be able to stop 5600kgs of moving load minimum. Thats the point of the figures. Add to a fact that if yo hit wind resistance or similar you have 3500 wagging the dog, so to speak.

Ive towed a caravan at about 98% and it is not a nice experience at all. No matter what you feel your skill level, if the rear wants to wag you havent got the weight to hold it still.

Like i say your GTW may allow you to tow somewhere close to 3500 kgs, but rather you than me.

The trailer would be braked, so the Pajero would be braking its own weight + around half the trailer, depending on how efficient its brakes are of course.

The problem is that towing is illegal in Japan, so imported cars simply don't have the European 'plate' which handily gives the towing weights. I had a similar predicament with an old mercedes, it had a plate but never gave the GTW, was full of asterisks instead!!!!! So in this situation the law is more vague, but you should seek "manufacturer's guidance". Hence, the number of posts on here about the towing capacity. I'd have thought the sensible thing would be to compare it with the equivalent Shogun - but then are you comparing an auto with a manual?
paul_c2

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS I agree with the bit about the dangers of towing a trailer greater than the weight of the car. Use the analogy of a shuttlecock, the heavy bit wants to be in front of the light bit when slowing down, so essentially in an emergency stop situation, the car must be able to stabilise and resist the tendency for the trailer to overtake the car and go first.

I know its vague but I heard something about reduced speed limits (50mph?) for trailers where they're heavier than the car....???
Richie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_10013073

Read this and links, beware, the use of terms like GTW  Gross train weight, this is a manufacture weight, waht it is designed to do, which differs from local law. and not necessarily the weight allowed by the authorities in the country your towing, and it does, although suppose to be covered by EU law, vary from country to country.

Also, look for the phrase, recommended, etc, advisory and the likes, you need to see what the law is, advice, recommendations are what they are, not the law.
paul_c2

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also worth mentioning.....in terms of towing stability.....if the towball is LOWER than the centre of the rear axle, then the forces imparted are favourable. In other words, under heavy acceleration it will not 'wheelie' the car, and under heavy braking, it will push the rear wheels downwards instead of upwards. This is probably the main reason why 4x4s are often seen as being better for towing.

Now, if you have 31x10.5 or whatever tyres, your axle centreline will be 393mm from the ground (approx). And the standard height of the towball (standards say to measure to centre of ball) is 360-420mm. So, if you can use a suitable drop plate and lower the ball to 360mm, you have a more stable outfit.
Tonyt

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. There is no plate in the car that shows any towing weight numbers. I'm thinking that my boat and trailer will be around 2.5-2.7 tonnes. Maybe I should just call the local Mitsi dealer and see what they say? Having said that, by it being an import they may decline..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: