QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Port Scanning

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Computer bytes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stumpey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 22:29    Post subject: Port Scanning Reply with quote

I don't know who it is but each time I come on Pocuk my pc keeps getting port scanned. You know who you are and I am tracing you down AOL your isp has been informed and logs of your games have been sent to them. I haven't taken this further but I will if it continues all these pipes work both ways..... 8) .
So if nothing else everbody else (the good guys) make sure your security is up to date and you have all the protection, cos somebody in here is not what they seem or they like playing games. I do not get this problem on other sites or when I come in here in the day from work.

Steve
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 22:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

follyman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it is deliberate Steve ? Some servers 'ping' you to see if your still using them as your probably aware, and this may show as a scan on your firewall.
I don't think anyone on the forum can actually get your IP from you just being logged onto here.
It maybe someone is scanning a block of IP's [ the normal way they do it] and your ISP 's range is in that block. They may do it in the evenings which just co-incides with you being here.

Unless of course you have a static IP, [ dont answer that if you reply ]and someone on here knows it, then when they see that you are logged on they are scanning you.

You can hide the fact your logged on in your profile preferences I think.
stumpey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer some of the questions....why would AOL want to ping me I would never use them in a million years...I know the difference between a ping and a port scan...I also realise that AOL is probably not the original port of origin....

You can get ip addresses if you have the right tools...

Whether I have a static ip or not I have also used proxies and still get the same problem...

I am also one of the mystery members that have been mentioned recently!! and always have been...dammm blown it

This post was meant as more of a warning to other members rather than a witch hunt it is not a problem to me more an annoyance and I have it under control. If I felt it was a major issue I would have kept my head down and done the business quietly..all this has done is warn
all concerned!!

Steve
Bob_jayne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know who it is but each time I come on Pocuk my pc keeps getting port scanned. You know who you are and I am tracing you down AOL your isp has been informed and logs of your games have been sent to them. I haven't taken this further but I will if it continues all these pipes work both ways.....

Same happens here......and all the time..........day/night when ever we log on someone tries to breach our wall, and only on this site....

bob
stumpey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob

So I am not mr paranoid and this is happening to other members.
The problem is that other members may not be so security conscious and this was the point of my original post.

Steve
Telboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get Zonealarm (or similar), turn off event logging (but not firewall!) and forget all about it. Works for me, only thing is that icon on the task bar flashing away telling me my pc has been port scanned/pinged but is safe...

Terry
stumpey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Telboy but you seemed to have missed the point....

Steve
Telboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

stumpey wrote:
Sorry Telboy but you seemed to have missed the point....

Steve

Maybe,

If what you are referring to is the issue of PocUK member(s) deliberately scanning IP addreses etc to hopefully obtain info then yes something should be done.

I know that one member at least keeps trying to send me cookies which just get rejected by my browser. Personally I cant see a problem with this but in any event (and the point I am trying to make) is that at the end of the day if we are unable to stop people trying to pry (and I'm not saying we cant) then a suitable firewall is a good deterrent.

My firewall detects hundreds of 'probes' a day coming from all over the place, most apparently from my ISP - hence my comment on ignoring it, However I do not wish to give the impression that people should get away with it - just that maybe they will hopefully give up if the recipients pc offers no response.

regards

Terry
marcsparks

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usefull utility i run along side zonealarm http://www.visualizesoftware.com/

Marc 8)
Telboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marc

Do you run XP? as in the FAQ it suggests not supported officially. Not bad for freeware though.

regards

Terry
marcsparks

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i run win 98 sr2 moor reliable lol

marc
Trig

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... some Cyber thug is around!! My firewall goes mad when on PoCUK... got the point of Stumpey which is KEEP your eyes open! Don't want to start a Panic as the attempts of the "thug" seem amateur so far... albeit annoying!

Marc,... abandoning the Pajero!!?? Sad
bperfrement

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to check my firewall logs more often and see if it happens to me too.
Ginja Nutz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 2 mins it took me to read through this forum my firewall log showed that it blocked 7 'Incoming TCP' s, each had a different IP address or port reference !
Someone is having trying to have a lookey see !! Shocked Shocked
bperfrement

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, just been monitoring by firewall logs; not what I'd call a port scan, just attempted connections to port 135 (Windows RPC), Port 135 is essential to the functionality of Active Directory and Microsoft Exchange mail servers, among other things.

This could be a problem if you have either Exchange or run Windows 2K or XP which I beleive use Active Directory. There's also a virus which attempts to use this port to do evil things.

Which ports are you seeing being opened?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Computer bytes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: