2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

timing chain snapped

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mw6zanhampete

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 23:08    Post subject: timing chain snapped Reply with quote

hi ho all i need advice please i had a breakdown on the 13 sept 2020 in cardiff, had pulled into a tesco off newport road. Cutting a long story short on starting up paji ran for 25 yards at 5 mph in car park loud grinding noise then she stopped dead. had a 5 hour wait for the RAC flatbed pick up to return me to my crib. paji layed up since sept orderd a timing kit from milners the kit is listed as a twin chain but on opening the box it has all the paji parts for a single chain install. now my question to you is this would it be ok to actually install this mod kit converting the twin chain original set up to a single chain, and would this mod cause long term problems. help
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 23:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, im guessing you have a 2.8 mk2? (you dont say but it being a duplex chain would suggest that)

Pajeros and Shoguns was always duplex chains, some very late 2.8 Delicas had a simplex conversion from the factory and this was after they stopped making the MK2 Paj with the 2.8 so maybe it was a natural progression to using the same simplex chain set up that was on the newer 4M41 3.2td engine?

As far as fitting a simplex chain to what was once a duplex set up goes you could be asking for trouble and they're will prolly be more than just the basic parts that are different, the guide, tensioner and its slipper pad, oil squirted plus prolly more i not thought about.....

If the kit you have been sent contains a load more bits than just the chain and sprockets then maybe its possible but i would go with what was originally intended for that engine and assume Milners have sent you the wrong kit!

If need be i still have a few brand new duplex chains floating around from my old Mobilemechanic days  Very Happy
mw6zanhampete

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there mark hope you and the family are well my paji is a 2.8 96 reg shorty you did my pump seal a good few years ago. the kit sent has all gears chain guides etc in the box its the FAI autoparts TCK39 complete kit not just the single chain i have to now contemplate giving milners a new one as they are advertising this complete kit as a duel chain kit, even label on box states duel chain  placed over FAI IDENT take care stay safe.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

mw6zanhampete wrote:
Hi there mark hope you and the family are well my paji is a 2.8 96 reg shorty you did my pump seal a good few years ago. the kit sent has all gears chain guides etc in the box its the FAI autoparts TCK39 complete kit not just the single chain i have to now contemplate giving milners a new one as they are advertising this complete kit as a duel chain kit, even label on box states duel chain  placed over FAI IDENT take care stay safe.

Anything to do with FAI and i would bin it  Surprised

They're rubbish quality often known to last less than a year (6 months is often mentioned) before they wear enough to start rattling again  Shocked

As said i still have a few tried and tested Reynolds chains around if you want one  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: