QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

swapping front diff for super-select

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerrynzl

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:50    Post subject: swapping front diff for super-select Reply with quote

Hi everybody, Firstly I want to introduce myself to the forum. I'm Kerry from New Zealand.
I am playing around with a 1991 "poverty pack" MkII LWB Pajero.
It was purchased for NZD600-00 [ GBP 263-00 ] with a half finished 4D56T engine. I sank a further NZD1100-00 [ GBP 480-50 ] into parts and machining and ended up with a rebuilt engine.
Now this Pajero has the dreaded V5M21 alloy gearbox which will break as soon as I put my foot into it, so I decided to swap in a V5MT1 iron case gearbox while the engine was still out.
As luck would have it, I managed to buy a complete 'deregistered' Pajero with everything in it yesterday for cheap.[ I get new alloys & tyres, new trim , a complete intercooler etc + the V5MT1 G/box ]
My Pajero doesn't have any Free Wheeling Hubs of any kind, but the parts vehicle has the vacuum engage front diff assembly.
Is this a major to swap over [ or am I asking for trouble with the electrics here ]
or should I just fit some Auto hubs from a Mk I Pajero [ or harden up and get manual hubs ]
This Pajero is gonna be a "Highway Queen" used for towing my race car, so the hubs will be dis engaged 90% [ make that 99% ] of the time.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

haylands
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Welcome to the club.... don't think anyone here will have done this as we don't get the "basic" one here....

Can't see it would be too hard if you have all the bits, just a case of swapping everything over....

Why not use all the good bits from the cheap one and put them on the one you have just bought...??

Pete
kerrynzl

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome Pete.
Making one good Pajero out of the pair is exactly my plan. Right now my Pajero looks like a "United Nations Special" [ no rear wiper, vinyl floor, vinyl seats, manual windows, no free wheeling etc ]
In a way it's what I want as a "Tow Hack" which usually becomes a road registered rubbish tin.
But I get a lot of good bits from the donor vehicle. Big Wheels, Big Flares , Front Nerf bar, a real nice interior, a full intercooler including brackets but most importantly the Iron Case gearbox and everything that goes with it [ there are a lot of differences ]
I would prefer to fit external free wheeling hubs because later I want to fit some 4.625 diffs that I got for $25.00 each.
New Zealand has a 90kph [ 54mph] speed limit when towing, by using 4.625 ratio I can tow in 4th gear at 2700rpm and not break the fragile fifth gear.
Has anybody on this forum swapped an Alloy Case box for an Iron Case before [ I would like to figure out how to do the wiring for the 4X4 an Diff Centre lock up on the instrument panel.
haylands
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerrynzl wrote:
Thanks for the welcome Pete.
Making one good Pajero out of the pair is exactly my plan. Right now my Pajero looks like a "United Nations Special" [ no rear wiper, vinyl floor, vinyl seats, manual windows, no free wheeling etc ]
In a way it's what I want as a "Tow Hack" which usually becomes a road registered rubbish tin.
But I get a lot of good bits from the donor vehicle. Big Wheels, Big Flares , Front Nerf bar, a real nice interior, a full intercooler including brackets but most importantly the Iron Case gearbox and everything that goes with it [ there are a lot of differences ]
I would prefer to fit external free wheeling hubs because later I want to fit some 4.625 diffs that I got for $25.00 each.
New Zealand has a 90kph [ 54mph] speed limit when towing, by using 4.625 ratio I can tow in 4th gear at 2700rpm and not break the fragile fifth gear.
Has anybody on this forum swapped an Alloy Case box for an Iron Case before [ I would like to figure out how to do the wiring for the 4X4 an Diff Centre lock up on the instrument panel.

Hi

Can't help really, but you can buy mine if you like it's already got the V5MT1 box, auto hubs and 4.625:1 ratio diffs, running 32" tyres and will easily pull 70mph in 4th gear without being anywhere near the redline..... Very Happy

Shipping might cost a bit though Shocked

Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: