QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

import pajero io into UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> SVA / ESVA / Certificate of Conformity Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevec4rty

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:35    Post subject: import pajero io into UK Reply with quote

I am currently living in Cyprus and am the proud owner of a Pajero Io 2L petrol LWB RHD year 2000. this car was imported into Cyprus second hand from Japan and is full Japan spec.

I am going to be moving to the UK in Jul and I wish to take my beloved Pajero with me but I am a bit concerned about it requiring some major modifications to bring it up to UK Spec.

Can any one advise me on any modification required for it to be legal in the UK (If any).  I am pretty sure that the speedometer will have to be changed as it only reads Km and not Miles but apart from that I don't know.

Can any one help?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

skyline-stu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedo can stay KM, all you reallly need bar registering, is a rear fog light... think thats about it !!
stevec4rty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.   Smile
That sound as if it will not be too dificult or more to the point not too expencive, and I could probably do that my self.
paul_c2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its under 10 years AND RHD, it will need to have a full IVA (not basic) test done. This will involve proving things like seat belt anchorages are strong enough, crashworthiness. It might be that the Japanese equivalent tests are okay, if you can't find or get these, then you might be able to buy a model report for the car (£300-400). If not, then it will cost many thousands.

If it was over 10 years old or LHD, it would only need a Basic IVA - much easier to get.

Do a Google search for "IVA regulations" and look at the official stuff on it (some PDF files).
paul_c2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://online.businesslink.gov.uk/Transport_files/IVA_Information_Guide_V2.0_with_links_FINAL_Oct_09.pdf should help you out. You might be able to be eligible for Basic IVA if you can satisfy the requirements for "personal import":

Quote:
A vehicle is a personally imported vehicle if either the conditions in sub-paragraph (1) or those in subparagraph
(2) are satisfied ('A' being, in the following sub-paragraphs below, the applicant for Individual Approval). (1) The conditions in this sub-paragraph are satisfied if a) the vehicle has been imported by 'A' upon entry into the United Kingdom, (b) 'A' had, prior to the time the vehicle was imported, been normally resident in a country other than the United Kingdom for a continuous period of at least 12 months, (c) 'A' intends to become normally resident in the United Kingdom, (d) the vehicle has been in the possession of and used by 'A' in the country where 'A' was normally resident for a period of at least 6 months before its importation, and (e) the vehicle is intended for 'A's' personal or household use in the United Kingdom (2) The conditions in this sub-paragraph are satisfied if (
a) 'A' is a serving member of the Armed Forces and intends to import it into the United Kingdom within 12 months of the date of the application for Individual Approval; at the time of that application 'A' has been normally resident in a country other than the (b) United Kingdom for a continuous period of at least 12 months; and (c) paragraphs (c) to (e) of sub-paragraph (1) are satisfied. (3) Subject to sub-paragraphs (4) to (6), for the purposes of this paragraph, 'A' is to be treated as being normally resident in a country if a) 'A' usually lives in that country for a period of, or periods together amounting to, at least 185 days in a period of 12 months; and (b) that period, or those periods of residence occur because of 'A's' occupational and personal ties to that country. (4) Where 'A' has no occupational ties, sub-paragraph (3b) does not apply provided that 'A's' personal ties show close links with that country. (5) Where 'A' has occupational ties in one country and personal ties in a second country, 'A' is to be treated, for the purposes of this paragraph, as being normally resident in the second country if either; (a) 'A's' stay in the first country is in order to carry out a task of a definite duration, or (b) 'A' returns regularly to the second country. (6) But if 'A' is a United Kingdom citizen whose personal ties are in the United Kingdom and whose occupational ties are in the country other than the United Kingdom, 'A' is to be treated as normally resident in that other country if 'A' has lived there for a period of, or periods together amounting to, at least 185 days in the period of 12 months immediately preceding the date of entry into the United Kingdom. (7) In this paragraph, "serving member of the Armed Forces" means a person who is employed by Her Majesty's air forces, Her Majesty's military forces or Her Majesty's naval forces but who is not a serving member of any of the reserve forces.

(see page 51 Annex 2 in the guide)
chrispajero

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would wait until it's 10 years old before you register it. Very Happy
stevec4rty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your help in this matter.
I have had a good look at the logbook and the car seems to have been manufactured in Feb 2000 and therfor will be older than 10years when I move back to the UK, so that is one less hassel to worry about.
Phillip255

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask how you got on.  I've just imported a Pajero from Dubai more thn 10 years old, LHD and am still at stage 1 -
Daisy
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck - I'm sure it will be easier than getting one registered in France  Laughing
Flyin' High!

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may want to check the head lights too , as i guess you drive on the right side of road,so your lights should point up to the right , they need too point up too the left , as i found out i replaced a broken one and then failed the mot.
muddyricer

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it has already been registered in an EU state, you will just need the Cyprus documentation, a UK MoT certificate, and UK insurance in order to register it here.
chrispajero

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to wonder if that is all that is needed in the UK, why the french have to make everything so complicated. Aren't we all in the same european union Question  Laughing
andyjm
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrispajero wrote:
You have to wonder if that is all that is needed in the UK, why the french have to make everything so complicated. Aren't we all in the same european union Question  Laughing

you right you know why is that we have all different docs for vehicles even though were in the eu docs should be uniform ok some countries drive on different sides so headlights should be altered
but all in all it should and would be eaiser if each country in it were to have a database of vehicles registered on it (each vehicle given a unique i.d other than its plates) or chassis number alright some countries have different saftey laws for mots etc so why not make a one fits all test under the great eu banner  Rolling Eyes
to simple i guess
Daisy
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the point made with most people who have posted on the registering in France or wherever part of the forum is that they have a Pajero which does not immediately comply with European regs because it was initially registered in Japan, which is not in the EU.  In some ways I can understand that France, to take an example of an EU country, is not happy to simply take the word of UK when someone comes to register a previously registered in UK Japanese import. They do not drive on the same side of the road, and will want to see proof that the car complies with their interpretation of EU regs, which they do seem to take quite seriously.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> SVA / ESVA / Certificate of Conformity Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: