Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

V6 sport tidy up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MG cup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:24    Post subject: V6 sport tidy up Reply with quote

Copied from another forum so some of it might not make sense.

Well I got my Sport about 6 months ago now from a friend that needed something smaller and I needed something to tow my hobbies (track and race car)

The car had circa 3k spent on it in the previous 12-16 months so it was a no brainier for the money, despite me not being keen on the styling I soon changed that and have grown to like the sports. It's no concourse car but it's solid and was well looked after, the last owner had just fitted new shocks all round, spark plugs, coil packs, disks and pads and an engine oil change.

The night I picked it up. (The 20" wheels are eh... different)

I got it home and started on a little tidy up, the new wheels went on (7" modulars with 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer At3's) and was looking good but not sitting right and some rubbing in the arches.

A little excessive on the wheel weights.... ahwell at least there is no vibrations.

The car had been used as a dog carrier from time to time so I set about a full deep clean.

While everything was out I fitted a 2" Xpajun lift kit, sitting nice now. I also fully machine polished the paint to bring it back a little.

I then ordered and fitted new plates all round (and backing plates) clear indicators to rid of the nasty orange, tinted wind deflectors to renew the weathered clear ones that were on and a new bash guard and plug holder for the tow bar.

Getting there.

Tow bar removed and painted, bash plate and single plug holder fitted. Wiring tidied and tested and caravan plug hidden away.

The almost finished article. Leather cleaned and conditioned and a new mat set fitted.

One of the nice things that came with the 4x4 is a double din digital tv/sat nav head unit and a full power flow stainless exhaust.

I contacted Thule and managed to get a key for the roof rack so that has since been removed so I can get a snowboard rack fitted come winter time.

I'm happy with the car despite the low mpg I'm getting on tow, wasn't expecting miracles being an auto but I hope to improve that a little with the box oil and filter change.

Things to do:-

Replacing the timing belt and water pump.
Rear cam seals.
Full service inc engine, g/box, diff oils and filters.
New aerial as it has broken up inside. Common problem???
Fit my new decal set.
Potentially tint the rear windows but I'm undecided.

It's my first 4x4 but it's been brilliant so far. If you could recommend any other common faults or things to check out or keep an eye on that would be great.

Some pics of my other toys too.

Track car

In action

And my labour of love that I'm going racing with in the Scottish Saloons 2014  Very Happy  (in too many pieces just now)

Last edited by MG cup on Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:32; edited 1 time in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

MG cup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having owned this now for getting on 7 months and not having any receipts for the timing belt being done it was starting to bother me every time I was out (it turned out the belt itself had been changed true to my friends word but not the water pump which is a potential knackered engine if that goes as well)

Last week I researched the job and got together all the parts and tools needed.

Yesterday everything had arrived so I set about doing the job and doing it right, I got the right timing tools, belt, idler, eccentric tensioner, hydraulic tensioner, water pump and thermostat.

Started like this.

Removed this.

To be left with this.

All the new parts fitted, engine timed and ready to be built back up.

Filled the cooling system with water to flush through the system once more and was back where I was 7 hours before albeit with a safer engine (I hope). All the aux belts were done a few months ago so no need for them.

Today I set about doing the service, engine oil and filter, gearbox oil and filter (10 litres of FFS) oil for the rear LSD and coolant.

First I dropped the coolant after a flush through with clean water from the day before, topped up the coolant and brought up to temp and bled.

I then dropped all the other fluids and refilled, the gearbox service is done in two stages (stupid idea) as the the torque converter holds half the oil so I dropped 5 litres then refilled 5 litres for today, I'll run it for a while to mix through then drop the box cradle, sump pan, filter and replace that, then replace the other 5 litres and in theory I should have new oil or a lot cleaner than what was in there. I also gave the car a full check over including brakes, greased all applicable points and done the tyre pressures.

I still have to replace the rear cam seals when I return from my trip (common fault) which is just two 'o' rings on the rear of the head, should be easy enough except for access and I also got a full new set of aero wipers. That should see me through the winter and a few trips up the hills.

I hope you like. Future plans are a new set of front speakers, new gubbins for the electric aerial and a reverse camera to aid hooking up the trailer.
johntwarden
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic write up and pictures well done  congrats
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a lot,great write up and pics,fantastic work,looks a minter Cool  Cool  Cool
MG cup

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments.

Its a nice for an 02 plate but it still has some marks, the interiors really do stand up well though. Its on 108,000 and barely looks sat in.

Has anyone had there chassis waxoiled or the likes, I would like to get this done but don't fancy the job laying on my back, any ideas on prices at a garage or the best product to use?
liam1

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks really good loving the updates, couple of questions do the side repeaters just pop out and how hard was it to fit the lift kit many thanks lee.
V12 rick

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen this  Wink like a lot  Laughing
Nice felling that you have when all the engine and fluids have been done Laughing  correctly  Wink
MG cup

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

liam1 wrote:
looks really good loving the updates, couple of questions do the side repeaters just pop out and how hard was it to fit the lift kit many thanks lee.

Thanks Liam, yeah the repeaters just pop out by putting a blunt instrument in behind them to pop the clips, refer to your new repeater for the fixing clips.

The lift kit was simple, real simple. I googled how to do it and a guide turned up from on here but the pictures were limited.

I just set about doing it and as long as all your bolts are free then it will be simple. The only things that need doing other than replacing the obvious spacers and bolts is to stretch the chassis to cab brake line coil, remove the brake pipe clips from the front wheel wells and slightly adjust the piping, remove the lower piece on the fan cowl and I had to remove cable ties from the wiring loom where it passes from the chassis to the cab near the fuel tank.

None of those steps are hard in anyway for a novice, I was quite worried about doing it from reading other lift kit guides but it was simple, no modified bumper brackets, lengthened gearsticks, new brake lines etc etc. Take care with two people, one jacking to fit the spacers and the other keeping an eye on all brake lines, pipes and wiring between the chassis and cab.

Anything over a 2" lift will need a lot more things adjusting for the gearstick, brake lines and looms.
MG cup

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE!!

After nearly two years of ownership the daily/tow car has finally let me down just last week. Not the end of the world but a potentially expensive fault.... the fuel pump pick up/sender pipes had corroded through and began to give a small drip of fuel, after investigating and trying to patch up what was there it turned from bad to worse and I had a massive leak so I had to repair it.

I contacted Mitsubishi who wanted £550 for the part alone :dizzy: and £880 to fit so I had to hatch a plan after coming up with blanks when looking for a 2nd hand good condition part. I soon figured out that the diesel version used the same pick up (externally anyway) and I thought I could graft on the exterior (to the tank) pipework so that I would end up with one good one from the two. Anyway I went ahead and ordered that as it was only £75.

The part arrived and I thought I was onto a winner, just expecting too cut of the old pipes and have the new braised on... well that didn't happen.....

I set about removing the tank and despite two rounded nuts it was easy for what is now a 13 year old car, I was quite impressed. With the tank out I removed the pick up and was to be proven wrong and the design didn't quite match up like I thought... anyway i'll explain as I go.

I had to do something with what I had so I sourced some fuel hose that suited the feed and return pipe diameters and decided to ni**er rig what I had as I need the car going for the weekend and Mitsubishi wasn't getting any of my hard earned. I started by hacking off the exterior lines with a hack saw.

I then cut the pipes internally to the sender.

Pulled out the old faithful cone drill and set to remove what was left.

I was left two holes in the sender cover which I could now pass the fuel hose through after I had bored them to the right size where the hose was tight enough for a seal but loose enough to pass through.

I had to bend the return line slightly to allow the fitment of the fuel hose and jubilee clamp.

I then fitted the fuel hose and clamped it on. And volią I have a working pick up assembly... not pretty but at the cost of £9.78 I couldn't care haha.

I then refitted everything into the tank and tomorrow I will install the tank and for her up once again... I hope!!

So after 2 years of ownership, it's been a great daily giving no bother at all and has flown through both MOT's, however with an ever closing house purchase I will be parting ways shortly to make way for a new daily I picked up recently for less than the cost of 90% of 172's. A fully loaded 2.0 tdi S-line Avant with the multitronic box, paddle shift, sat nav, Bose sound system, genuine tow bar etc etc.... I'm really happy I found this one. So if anybody is looking for a new tow car/off roader than just get in contact, Its had all the main serviceable items seen to in my ownership and had circa 3k spent on others prior to me getting it. All around a great car really, I am doing a lot more miles than I did when I bought it so needs must I guess.

hutchy

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i did my fuel pick up on my gdi i got aeroquip fittings along with there weld on threads...cut the fuel pipes off the pick up unit but left 3mm in height so the aeroquip threads lined up correct then brazed them on so now my fuel pipes screw onto the pickup.....but whilst i was at at i chenged the tank pump over to a walbro one Wink
MG cup

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's an all round better solution Hutchy..... if I wasn't tight on time I was going to braise on the correct fuel lines but I use all the Aeroquip fittings and braided lines on my racecar but it's a little over kill for my needs on this one.

I'm guessing yours is a little more tuned than mine given the uprated pump.
hutchy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really as the fuel regulator keeps it all in check but it does start and run a lot better...and as my gdi has 2 regulators i don,t really want to mess around with them incase of damaging the high pressure pump....but the sock on the pump has a lot finer mesh on it than the standard one so it will help keeping the *beep* out Wink
MG cup

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I noticed mine had a regulator just beside the tank today when I was poking about. You say it improved starting, I have noticed mine is lazy to start but I just put it down to being a trait of the engine/fuel system. You found a sharper start with the uprated pump though yeah?
hutchy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine does start a lot better and better throttle response....but my car is 18 year old so maybe the pump was tired,after all it used all the time the car is Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: