QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Sound deadening

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:01    Post subject: Sound deadening Reply with quote

I've recently stripped out and replaced the interior of my Challenger in order to reduce the noise level. I'm very pleased with the outcome. It's very effective at reducing road and tyre noise, but the engine noise is still signifcant. So the next stage of the project will be to replace the existing bulkhead mat with something more effective. That will have to wait for next year now.

The interior stripped out:

Self-adhesive anti-vibration mats fitted: (these were also fitted to the door skins)

Very heavy vinyl sheet cut to shape and fitted:

Carpets refitted:

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:01    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - you have been busy!

That should make quite a difference.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logically, I am crazy to spend so much time and money on it. But it gives me a lot of satisfaction to be running old cars that still look good and run faultlessly.  I wasn't budgetting on the aircon issues though, as per my other post last night. Ouch!
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
it gives me a lot of satisfaction to be running old cars that still look good and run faultlessly.

Same here.

I assume you shampooed the carpets before putting them back in  Very Happy That is my job next summer (and I might just do the soundproofing now you've put the idea in my head!)

I'm still toying with the idea of putting new carpets in as mine are a bit faded, but otherwise in good condition. Trouble is that there is only one place that makes them ... in Australia and the shipping cost is more than the price of the carpets!
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
Simon_W wrote:
it gives me a lot of satisfaction to be running old cars that still look good and run faultlessly.

I assume you shampooed the carpets before putting them back in  Very Happy That is my job next summer (and I might just do the soundproofing now you've put the idea in my head!)

I'm still toying with the idea of putting new carpets in as mine are a bit faded, but otherwise in good condition. Trouble is that there is only one place that makes them ... in Australia and the shipping cost is more than the price of the carpets!

Of course I did!  Laughing  But I had to do them on the dining-room floor and Mrs W was far from chuffed. They were really filthy.   Come next summer I will rent a carpet cleaner and do them properly.

My carpets are also faded, and stained in patches, but I can live with that for the moment.  Wouldn't it be possible to cut new ones yourself using the existing ones as templates?
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:

My carpets are also faded, and stained in patches, but I can live with that for the moment.  Wouldn't it be possible to cut new ones yourself using the existing ones as templates?

Mine are not stained and I've got some grey made to measure mats which cover most of the fading.

Trouble is with cutting my own is that they are not steam moulded into shape so they won't look very "fitted"

The place in Australia steam moulds them and they say they fit like the originals - and you can get better quality pile from them than the originals.

LINK - about 250 AUD for the best quality but the shipping (air freight ) is nearly as much!
hutchy

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

can,t you take your old carpets to an auto upholstery place and get new ones made..... Confused

might be cheaper than buying from oz as shipping from there is the biggest wallet killer Exclamation
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's getting them steam moulded that is the problem - the company on Oz has the machinery to do it.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
It's getting them steam moulded that is the problem - the company on Oz has the machinery to do it.

If it's similar to the Challenger carpet, it would only need shaping in a few places.  Wouldn't it be possible to do it using a handheld steamer? Or by soaking it and allowing it to dry in situ with some polythene sheet underneath? It might also be easier if the transmission tunnel was done in a separate piece and the adjacent seams were bound with this kind of stuff:  Instant binding tape

For a man of your skills to consider getting shaped carpet from Oz seems a bit of a waste! It would probably get flattened in transit anyway! Laughing
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it will be next summer's job - too wet and cold this time of year.

I've re-carpeted quite a lot of cars - but they never seem to look as good as professionally made ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: