Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

3.5l 1997 GDI intake manifold question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpurchase

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:10    Post subject: 3.5l 1997 GDI intake manifold question Reply with quote

All, thanks for the great contributions on this site. You've already helped me diagnose issues on my GDI challenger (montero sport/shogun sport).

I do have a couple of questions that I'm struggling to find good information on. I've recently decoked the intake manifold and in doing so have created a vacuum leak on bushings that hold the shafts for the butterflies that sit inside the manifold (not throttle body). Extensive reading (although near impossible to find anything from Mitsy on this) seems to indicate these internal butterflies are SCV (Swirl Control Valves) that are purely there to reduce emissions. Although part of my confusion is whether they are Intake Manifold Runner Controls (IMRC) or purely for lower emissions. IMRC tends to kick in at 3000-3400 RPM with a noticable noice change from the engine and I don't notice this at all. The vacuum actuator is closing these butterflies at idle which tends to indicate they are purely there to increase air intake velocity at lower RPM.

So, with all that preamble my questions are;

1) does anyone know where to source these replacement bushings? The Mitsy ASA (computer based parts catalog) does not even acknowledge the existence of these butterflies.

2) Assuming I can't source new ones does anyone know a clever way to seal the vacuum leak around the bushings that would still permit movement of the shaft? (might be completely stupid idea but heavy duty grease?)

3) If none of the above are options, can I get away with sealing the leak and locking the butterflies in the open position? (my problem here is I just can't find any reference material as to the actions of these butterfly valves - ie when do they open vs close, what is there true purpose etc)

Hope some better and more knowledgeable brains than I can help out here.

Thanks from NZ!

Mike
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

ig88

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, My mechanic and I are working on these butterfly valves at the moment on a 6g74 GDI 1997 Pajero. If the assembly is similar to mine then you can take apart the spring loaded assembly connected to the vacuum pump , unscrew the butterfly valves using a small allen key and pull out the connecting rods along with the rubber bushings. You would have to source some of these somewhere and replace as Mitsubishi will not sell any of the parts of this separately. I was quoted £425 for the the full butterfly valve assembly from the dealership.

Cheers
Charlie
mpurchase

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Charlie - I've managed to dismantle the front of the rods and access the seal. They were hard and brittle. I've completed a temporary repair with plumbing tape and will be picking up some nitrile o-rings tomorrow. I'll let you know the outcome.

Fingers crossed between the de-coke and now fixing the vacuum leak I'll get back to stok fuel economy !
airaeuro

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrol model is very costly but it is smooth in compare of diesal engine, ThaNKS.
airaeuro

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrol model is very costly but it is smooth in compare of diesal engine, ThaNKS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: