2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

disabling a.b.s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 18:14    Post subject: disabling a.b.s Reply with quote

is it possible to disable a.b.s by pulling the fuse,and if so which one,the 30 amp fuse to ecu,or 60 amp to abs.and would the brakes work ok just with out the anti lock function.
also,do the fuses need to be unscrewed from underneath,as they don't seem to want to pull out.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 18:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ih Very Happy

From my last foray into the wonderful world of ABS ,I seem to remember that ABS fusible link  is the 60 A yellow fuse by the battery, how it comes out i don't know . Yes the brakes are fine  without the ABS connected, same as a car without ABS infact Laughing

If the ABS light is on it won't work anyway

see you unlocked Laughing
emax
Richie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuse is bolted, just like your insurance company will, if you have a claim and they find you disabled the ABS.

tip:   blow the fuse and put it back  Shocked
icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem is weird,and only started happening yesterday,the abs light goes off like normal,but the abs pump kicks in under light braking,not always,just intermittently,it,s hardly done it at all today, wouldn't the light illuminate if there was a abs fault,got me thinking it might be the toothed rotor at the back of the disc having a few teeth of the toothed ring clogged up and fooling the abs to thinking the wheel has locked up?but wouldn't this cause the abs light to come on.going to power wash all the sensors this weekend and check wiring and multi plugs see if that cures the problem.cheers for the advice.
arumdevil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richie wrote:
just like your insurance company will, if you have a claim and they find you disabled the ABS.

seems that would be a bit of a knee-jerk reaction (although I know the underwriters are scum and will take any chance to get out of paying a claim). What about my friends Audi which has a switch on the dash to disable the ABS?
icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

well today ABS light came on,(and i thought the problem had gone away) and i noticed tonight when i switched the ignition off,that the pump was running constantly,pulled the bonnet and could feel the pump vibrating,so i pulled the multi plug apart and it stopped, couldn't leave it running all night.so does this point to pump fault,ecu,or wiring,as it was running with the key removed from the ignition.
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello IH  Very Happy

There is a power relay behind the radio, maybe that is at fault. Question

To be honest you are better off going into Bletchley Park mode Laughing  and retrieving the fault codes

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=95879&highlight=

see you multimetering Laughing
emax
icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers emax,the thing is,i like it better without the ABS,it's *beep* in the snow,and sometimes used to come on when braking over slippery manhole covers,i hate electrics  Laughing
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ih Very Happy

I think if you want to remove the ABS system  it is easy to do.  I think johnkyte Question  did a how to remove it.  I seem to remember you only need a T piece.  I was going down that trail could not repair mine.

I hate electrics more than you Laughing

See you manhole dodging Rolling Eyes
emax
bonzo1974

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 15:17    Post subject: Cheesed off with ABS fault Reply with quote

Have the same annoying fault as many others with the ABS coming on under normal conditions which makes the wagon less controlled under braking and makes a horrible juddering noise from the footwell etc. I tried cleaning the sensors and reluctor rings with a pressure washer, cleaning the various electrical connectors with switch cleaner, brake fluid is at max, brakes have been bled. I can't think of anything else to do to remove the fault so I have resorted to unplugging the ABS pump power connector so the brakes go back to non-ABS mode. The ABS light will be sadly on permanently until I can remove the bulb!

If anyone else has any other ideas I'd be happy to hear them unless it means replacing anything expensive - I am half Yorkshire and half Scottish!! Laughing
Spartan535

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the ABS light is on, it's now an MoT failure - and removing the bulb wont get round the issue as the ABS light has to come on at start up and then go off.

However, you could always wire it to something else like the engine management light or the AT warning light so it comes on and then goes off!!!   Wink
Richie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartan535 wrote:
If the ABS light is on, it's now an MoT failure - and removing the bulb wont get round the issue as the ABS light has to come on at start up and then go off.

However, you could always wire it to something else like the engine management light or the AT warning light so it comes on and then goes off!!!   Wink

Mines of the rear locker setting, on a shogun, it comes on with the key for 4 seconds, then out, just be good with some thin wires and solder.
bonzo1974

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartan535 wrote:

Which was exactly what my sneaky little brain was conjuring up!! Running a pos & neg wire from another light which comes on at ignition would certainly fool the MoT, will have to find a  way to disguise the ABS pump connector - prob just loosely connect with some plastic to insulate it or something or fit a hidden inline switch. Hope the Ministry of Transport aren't monitoring these forums... OOPS!

As many people agree, the ABS can constitute more of a hazard if it's not right compared to bypassing it, and on any muddy tracks it can be pretty useless really. Was it on this forum that someone mentioned that their Audi has  switch for the ABS so it can be isolated by the driver? How can that be allowed but this is apparently an MoT fail? Might have to register it in the Isle of Man where there is no MoT!!!

Many thanks for the replies, glad other people are on the same wavelength and confirm that there is no mechanical reason to bypass it, just the barking of the nanny state!!!
tony_gee

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:22    Post subject: Re: Cheesed off with ABS fault Reply with quote

bonzo1974 wrote:
Have the same annoying fault as many others with the ABS coming on under normal conditions which makes the wagon less controlled under braking and makes a horrible juddering noise from the footwell etc. I tried cleaning the sensors and reluctor rings with a pressure washer, cleaning the various electrical connectors with switch cleaner, brake fluid is at max, brakes have been bled. I can't think of anything else to do to remove the fault so I have resorted to unplugging the ABS pump power connector so the brakes go back to non-ABS mode. The ABS light will be sadly on permanently until I can remove the bulb!

If anyone else has any other ideas I'd be happy to hear them unless it means replacing anything expensive - I am half Yorkshire and half Scottish!! Laughing

Can you please show me where the connector is? I nearly fell down a cliff when my abs locked. Mine is a Gen 2. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: