Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Oil light comes on after a couple of minutes 4m40 1996

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goatherd99

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:19    Post subject: Oil light comes on after a couple of minutes 4m40 1996 Reply with quote

Hi All

Need urgent help.

Just taken out sump and resealed it.

Now after a couple of minutes the oil light comes on.... but if I switch the engine off and on again within 2 seconds,  the oil light immediately goes out.... like it's resetting somehow, then on again after a couple of minutes.
Crazy or what
There does not seem to be any change in the sound of the engine whilst light is on and I feel that there is oil pressure.

I live in the campo and I simply cannot afford to screw anything up or be without wheels....so very hesitant to drive to nearest town 17 kms away....

Any suggestions to brighten my day?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
Probably the sensor or the wiring/connector

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=163670&highlight=oil+sender
Goatherd99

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Emax
Thanks for your response.....

Well I have determined that I do have oil pressure by driving for 30kms...... slowly Smile
Here's the thing, I found that the connection to the pressure switch on the front of block had broken off completely... AAAH I thought that's the reason... NO, reconnected and just the same! Sad
So I am thinking that there maybe another switch somewhere and also the oil light with a wavy line under the oil can, is telling me that first there is pressure and second that the level is low.... which it isn't, but wondered if maybe I damaged the sensor in the sump when I was swearing and cussing for about 3/4 hour whilst trying to get the B thing back in position?
ALternatively, it was difficult getting the connection off the level sensor on the side of the sump, but when I reconnected it it appeared to snick back into position nicely...!
So now I am at a loss, I have my ITV here in Spain on Thursday, which it failed because of an oil leak, then a 4 hour drive on the following Monday .to airport and back.
They say it never rains but it pours and that's exactly what it is doing now AND  I don't have a garage!!
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

could easily still be the sensor. It just earths the wire, you could take it out and check  it. From memory it has a spring on it and you can see how it works and check it. The cheap ones do not seem to last long in my experience.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it low pressure light or low level light thats coming on?

And one job should not interfere with the other so it must be either a coincidence or you have filled with some very thin oil......
Goatherd99

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you hit the nail on the head..... when do we ever look at dash lights except when we have one come on whilst driving??

On the old Shogun they are not the brightest...

I realised an hour ago that it was the level light that was coming on.... at 77 year you loose a little nouse... Smile

BUT, how come the low pressure light did not come on when the cable was broken from the pressure switch??

Well I found out.... again not looking at ignition lights.... it did not come on at all, but in my mind it should come on ALL the time if cable was not connected.... that's definitely the wrong way round.

At least I know I have oil pressure and KNOW the level isn't low.... so that is re-assuring.. Smile So it must be the connection or I have damage the sensor... Sad

NOW, the other problem..... I get the  4WD front axle lights come on whilst driving intermittently.... and sometimes a bit of a whirring noise and sometimes like a scraping noise, seemed to start after I power washed the underside before my test last Friday. I did notice the little rubber gaiter on the small shaft was not on correctly, a bit sloppy, but all seemed greasy inside.

Any ideas?

I have to say that the old  Shogun has been absolutely brilliant... I have had it 12 years and I paid £1200 for it.
Got to be the best value ever..... I haven't even spent that much on it since I have had it in 95,000 miles.....and I still enjoy driving it!
2.25diesel

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goatherd99 wrote:
BUT, how come the low pressure light did not come on when the cable was broken from the pressure switch??

At least I know I have oil pressure and KNOW the level isn't low.... so that is re-assuring.. Smile So it must be the connection or I have damage the sensor...

The oil pressure light will not be on when the pressure switch cable is disconnected.

The pressure switch is in the "on" position with a completed circuit when there is no oil pressure. This means that the oil pressure warning light will be on when the vehicle electrics are powered on before starting the engine. If the oil light is not lit when the key is turned the "ON" position, that means that there is a fault with the pressure switch or the wiring.

When the engine is started, oil pressure causes the switch contacts to be pushed to the "off" position which means that the circuit will be broken and the light will go out.

I had the oil pressure switch wire break on my MK1. I knew immediately that there was a problem when the low oil pressure light did not show at all when I turned on the ignition.

As far as I know, it is designed that way so that the driver can see that the oil pressure sensor circuit and bulb are working when the engine is first started.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, failing oil pressure allows the pressure switch to make the circuit illuminating the dash warning lamp, remove the wire and the circuit can never be made so no light will come on  Smile

Now top up your oil level  Very Happy  Very Happy
Goatherd99

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, totally understand..... but as I said, it's the wrong way round....The light should be made to come on if the wire has become disconnected or there's no pressure, so unless you are one of those drivers that check your ignition lights EVERY time you start the engine, which I am certainly not, you would assume as there is no warning light that you have oil pressure. The same modern vehicles do. It's all in the wiring and whether it's a NC or NO oil switch.
robfinger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you van easily make it work that way exactly by wiring in a relay between the light and the switch,  or a transistor of you're more electronically inclined. Better use of one's efforts would be installing an actual pressure gauge IMHO.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goatherd99 wrote:
Yes, totally understand..... but as I said, it's the wrong way round....The light should be made to come on if the wire has become disconnected or there's no pressure, so unless you are one of those drivers that check your ignition lights EVERY time you start the engine, which I am certainly not, you would assume as there is no warning light that you have oil pressure. The same modern vehicles do. It's all in the wiring and whether it's a NC or NO oil switch.

I have a 2003 Mercedes CL55 that dont have an oil light (not fitted from factory) start engine and if no nasty noises are heard by the time iv reversed of my drive i have oil pressure  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: