Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Brakes is there a difference

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simonfathead

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:06    Post subject: Brakes is there a difference Reply with quote

Hi im looking for a complete abs pump and ive found 2 different sorts.
Mine has a round metal reservoir and the other has a black ballcock looking reservoir is there a difference between the 2. They are both for a 2004 shogun 3.2 did (mines a swb).
Im hoping its not the problem but im trying to get quotes for the unit.

I have bad brakes pedal almost goes to the floor, double pumping helps a great deal but if i apply a constant pressure on the pedal (engine running) the pedal sinks all the way to the floor.
Engine off, pump the brake till hard, start the engine the pedal stays in the same place no movment (read on here it should move an inch or so).
No leaks, reservoir stays full.
Today im changing the rear flexable hoses as been told they need to be changed.
So does anybody know the difference between the 2 units or have any advice?

Many Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

alienidea
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you pump the brake pedal with the engine off and then start the engine do you get a constant buzzer sound... low pressure warning...?
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i keep pumping the pedal yes i get an buzzer noise that goes off again after a while(engine running), i don't get it though when i pump the brake engine off and then start the car nothing just the buzzing from the abs pump
alienidea
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without seen it if the HBB motor is running constantlly with the engine on/running ..then it just isn,t holding pressure in the accumuclator.Which a common problem in mk3 .With a buzzer sounding and /or warning lights ..ABS/TCS etc .pulling code,s could be a good idea just to confrim as parts can be expensive.
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the pump cuts out after about 40 secs (after i had pumped the brakes about 40 times, engine off) and doesn't run very long when it does cut back in, there are no buzzers or warning lights on the dash. I have had the codes checked with a snapon obd tester( i Know its not a MUTT 2 tester but it seemed to work and it purged the abs as well), one error and that was EGR (which is blanked so could be why that error is up) . Not losing oil at all.
assassin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to do with the EGR as its basically a self contained unit; the buzzer sounds only for low pressure in the braking system, when it sounds you have the capability to do multiple stops before you lose braking pressure.

As said above, the most common cause of losing brake pressure is the accumulator which is in two halves seperated by a membrane, above the membrane is nitrogen gas which acts as a damper and when the bottom half fills with pressure this compresses the gas above the membrane so it acts as a damper and helps give the braking system pressure.

They did a recall on your model so contact Mitsubishi and check if this recall was done, if not then have it done as its free, did my old 02 under warranty and coming out of the dealers and applying my brakes nearly threw me through the windscreen.
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi yes i know the egr is seperate just saying that was the only error code i had. What im trying to find out is that there are 2 different types of abs pumps does it matter which one?
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

just checked the Recall at Mitsubishi Motors

https://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.uk

Nothing for my truck Crying or Very sad
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to make it clearer my abs pump looks like this note the reservoir

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-2006-Mitsubishi-Shogun-3-2-ABS-Pump-MN116391/324304530532?hash=item4b820e6c64:g:NaEAAOSwIPRfafbN

the other looks like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mitsubishi-Shogun-3-2-Did-2001-Abs-Pump-Module/333924318882?hash=item4dbf70bea2:g:4KkAAOSwebNgWeu1

the reservoirs are different does it make any difference?
alienidea
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

The silver one replaced the roundish black one ..i think there was a recall and most are now the silver cyl type ..From what you said the hbb is working  Shocked .plus no warning lights or the low pressure buzzer on constat.
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i think its the master cylinder on its way out, so just bought one (£168) so will be fitting when it arrives I can use mine as spares abs moter etc. Is they a seal kit you can buy for these as i may try to fix my old one up  and keep as a spare.
davidb59

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 21:04    Post subject: Brakes HBB unit Reply with quote

Hi all
Have had same problems in the past
As far as i am aware the tall silver /gold colour unit is for the Auto model
and the smaller round unit is for the manual model
Do not know if they can be swapped about
Regards
SteveW-DID

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes no difference,they are interchangable
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

update on my braking problems

Rear pipes corroded and exploded lucky not whilst driving - both sides replaced (upto fuel tank)
rear flexes replaced
master cylinder (abs pump) replaced

still the same

after numerious trips to 3 different garages i decided to look at the brakes myself
front brakes first, drivers side, completly siezed sliding bolt after an hour trying to get it out it eventually popped out, but the threads on both the bolt and caliper are shot so new caliper (now on order).
I did notice the brake disc is loose once i had removed the brake pressure and pads. But i cant remove the caliper holder as the 2 bolts are well seized but will try again once the new caliper arrives. I managed to clean up and grease the sliding bolts and refit there is enough thread to tighten up on, the disc then seemed ok once the brake pressure was reaplied.

But long story short seized caliped now brakes re soooooooooooo much better and no long pedal travel. RESULT!!!
Cars of the road till the new caliper arrives just to be sure
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: