Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Gearbox auto 3.2 1999 pajero

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craigmassey51

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 23:00    Post subject: Gearbox auto 3.2 1999 pajero Reply with quote

It's been a long time since I have been on the forum so long in fact I couldn't log in.
I am after advice yesterday in a campground in the lakes someone pointed out I was losing oil, when I checked u thought it could be the gearbox As I was towing the van back today I thought I would call the AA last night. He came and couldn't find any leaks on the gear box but said my hydraulic fluid was leaking for the power steering, he topped up and left me some so I could stop and keep topping up if I needed to. When I went to hitch up I lost gears I could choose one but nothing there moved stick then it would engage then it wouldn't. I left it for five then tried again and all was good we hitched up we set off stopped and nothing needed topping up and she drove beautifully. I am curious if anyone has had this issue, was the shift selected down to the hydraulic. On top of that it doesn't seem to be leaking either.
Craig
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 23:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ATF did he leave, and did he follow the correct procedure for checking the level?

You have steel cooler pipes running from the side of the gearbox to the front of the vehicle to its transmission oil cooler, these pipes rust and get pin holes, they also leak on the rubber connecting pipes so a leak in these would be in the vicinity of the power steering and suggest this. AA and other breakdown services are generic services and are fine with Fords and Vauxhalls but not the foibles of the shogun.
Craigmassey51

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 21:03    Post subject: Oil and pipe Reply with quote

He give me the correct oil and my pipes replaced a few months ago when I had the gearbox oil changed.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it SP III spec or a generic fits many podels ATF.

Just because you changed the ATF and front pipes it doesn't mean there isn't a problem because they are connected with rubber pipes, if not correctly installed and aligned you can have the rubber pipes chafing and wearing thin, this allows small quantities of ATF to seep out over time and your level drops.
Craigmassey51

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks, getting looked at this weekend
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: