eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Difference between left and right caliper?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mobydick

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:22    Post subject: Difference between left and right caliper? Reply with quote

Bought a new o/side caliper for back of my shogun. Fitted no problem, looking at it against n/side caliper it seems the same bar the bleed nipple being slightly higher. So.my question is could I rebuild my o/side caliper and fit to the n/side? The caliper seems symmetrical top and bottom all except the bleed nipple. Any ideas? Save me £100 on a new caliper.

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peacebank

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleed nipple will be too low when put on the other side than it was designer for, so you won't be able to bleed all the air out of the system.
Bradwell Boy

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you connect the hydraulic line up but do not bolt the caliper in position, you can hold it with the bleed nipple at the highest point, put a block of wood or similar between the pads and bleed as normal.
When you are happy its bled just bolt it in position. Job done.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bradwell Boy wrote:
If you connect the hydraulic line up but do not bolt the caliper in position, you can hold it with the bleed nipple at the highest point, put a block of wood or similar between the pads and bleed as normal.
When you are happy its bled just bolt it in position. Job done.

Yes you could but its a lot of p1ssing about when you can just fit the correct part  Very Happy
Bradwell Boy

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP was just asking if he could refurbish and fit. Agreed it would be great to just fit the correct one, but is it really a chore to bleed and then fit given the cost saving.
There is no safety issue here with imbalanced brakes etc which is what I read into the original question for reassurance.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bleed nipple not in the correct place could also be an MOT fail too....

its just a bodge and in my opinion a bad one and all just to save a few quid  Surprised
Bradwell Boy

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardly an MOT fail if it  isn't leaking. Don't see how its a bodge, but if you are a perfectionist then the N/S part would be the way to go.
If its bled and leak free under pressure, which is what the MOT tester will check,along with a road roller test for performance and imbalance, there is no issue.
That is in my opinion.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are an MOT fail and Mark is correct. It does come down to the quality of the tester though.
Bradwell Boy

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I stand corrected, thanks for that.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for reference.

Bleed nipples are located in their best position for bleeding brakes, and also for limiting damage such as impact damage on an off road vehicle.

It often comes down to the perception of the examiner and as this is a crucial safety component they have immense powers, they could deem it a safety related failure for fitting the wrong part, they could deem it not appripriate for the ABS system not to function correctly, or they could assume the brakes are not bled correctly.

Their assumptions are taken as fact, they record MOT data online now and they can quickly accessed by anyone, insurers use this as a tool to whip you with, if an MOT examiner posts any reason for failure they examine it.

In my case my Shogun was written off in 2019 after some dick drove into the side of me, they tried to devalue my vehicle by claiming the rear suspension was faulty as the rear shocks were leaking; a quick check showed it was reported in the MOT that the shockers had a light misting of oil, they did, but it was the rubber lube I sprayed onto all the rubber bushes and not faulty shocks. It may have implications in the future which are not to your advantage, I disputed their claims and the garage which the vehicle was stored at stated (confirmed by CCTV) than nobody had examined my vehicle, so how can an assessor state something they haven't seen.

Fortunately I am legally trained so hit them with an affidavit and both the insurer and assessor ended up paying out the shortfall, not everyone is mechanically and legally trained and could be found guilty of something based upon historic paperwork.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: