Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

transmission

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatherum

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 13:28    Post subject: transmission Reply with quote

I'm hoping someone can give me advice on my 2002 swb shogun with 3.2 DI-D engine automatic.  I'm a very novice mechanic but am sick of paying garages £60hr labour costs so want to learn to do things myself.    When I put it in drive it hardly moves and makes a grinding noise then jumps out of gear.  I changed the transmission filter.  Was told it would take 9.3 litres of transmission oil  so I put that in but the oil is way above the mark on the dip stick ?  
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
A
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 13:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

froilad

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a sticky solenoid.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dis you use the correct method for checking the level?
gatherum

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the correct method ?
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run the vehicle up to temperature by driving it as this heats up the transmission.

leave the engine running and put the transmission selector into D for 30 seconds and hold on the footbrake, they select R and leave for 30 seconds with the footbrake on and then put it into N and leave the engine idling.
This primes all the hydraulic circuits.

With the engine idling and the transmission in N you pull the hot transmission dipstick and wipe, dip the transmission again and read the level, this gives you an accurate reading.

If it is low then add a little fluid at a time until it is to level, through the dipstick tube.

If you use white kitchen roll to wipe your dipstick you can check the colour of the ATF, if it is anything other than cherry red it is shot and needs replacing, BROWN means it is breaking down and BLACK means it is shot and the brake bands are delaminating and it needs instant replacement.
MonteRob

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

assassin wrote:
Run the vehicle up to temperature by driving it as this heats up the transmission.

leave the engine running and put the transmission selector into D for 30 seconds and hold on the footbrake, they select R and leave for 30 seconds with the footbrake on and then put it into N and leave the engine idling.
This primes all the hydraulic circuits.

With the engine idling and the transmission in N you pull the hot transmission dipstick and wipe, dip the transmission again and read the level, this gives you an accurate reading.

If it is low then add a little fluid at a time until it is to level, through the dipstick tube.

If you use white kitchen roll to wipe your dipstick you can check the colour of the ATF, if it is anything other than cherry red it is shot and needs replacing, BROWN means it is breaking down and BLACK means it is shot and the brake bands are delaminating and it needs instant replacement.

My buddy is looking to get this Shogun project after we finished installing the brake pads and kmc wheels on his Ford truck this week. It needs some TLC and trans issues. We'll that method.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: