2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Fuel tank neck pipes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bradwell Boy

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:23    Post subject: Fuel tank neck pipes Reply with quote

Got a whining noise the other day which turned out to be the two pipes that run down the inner O/S/R wheel arch from what looks like the tank filler neck had rotted and were laying on the Tyre.
I have secured them out of the way and covered the open ends. I have since filled up with fuel and I got just the slightest damp patch around the inner wheel arch. I have no running issues.
Question is, what are these pipes for and where do they go?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:23    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

castanucci

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - these are breather pipes that allow air to escape from the fuel tank when you fill with fuel...and when the liquid expands and contracts in hot/cold weather.

I suggest that you get your fuel filler pipes and breathers replaced very soon...otherwise all kinds of garbage will be entering your fuel system.
Bradwell Boy

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have tried Milners but they do not stock the pipes for my vehicle. Anyone got a link to a site where I can get them from please.
Bradwell Boy

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch Just tried my local Mitsubishi dealer they want £263.98 + Vat
castanucci

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried Mitzy Bitz?

or eBay...search for "Fuel Filler Tank Neck Pipe for Mitsubishi Pajero/Shogun 3.2 DID MK IV 2006-2018"
Bradwell Boy

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

I have just emailed so will wait and see.
I did just phone Milners and they can supply so all is not lost hopefully.

There were several on Ebay but mostly Chinese so no one to talk to to ensure that they were correct. At least if I can get the part from a UK  site its easier to deal with.

Thanks again.
Bradwell Boy

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sorted. Just ordered them from Mitzy Bitz. £102 all in delivered.
Thanks for the help.
Only had the vehicle a couple of months so am getting used to it. Will get this sorted along with a transmision flush at the weekend or early next week.
Bradwell Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

New pipes fitted including the through the chasis pipes which were a bit of a chew.
Bradwell Boy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update, tank developed a leak a couple of weeks after I replaced the pipes. The leak was from the area where the securing straps hold the tank up. Obviously when I lowered the tank to get access to the "through chassis" pipes and refitted the tank, despite cleaning everything up, I must have got some crud stuck under the rear strap which chafed it through. It must have been close to leaking before I disturbed it as it never looked in the best condition.
Any way, new tank ordered and fitted. I also put extra neoprene on the securing straps to stop it happening with the new tank. made it a bit  awkward to get them back with the extra thickens of protection but hopefully worth the effort.
On the positive side, there was no crud or water inside my old tank when I drained it so hopefully don't need to worry about the horror stories on here with the fuel pumps getting wrecked by debris from the rotten fuel neck pipes letting mud and moisture in.
I did change the fuel filter after fitting the new pipes and cut the old filter up to check. It was clean but just had that niggle in the back of my mind.
Hopefully, new pipes and tank will see my days out with this vehicle.
assassin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repair your tank with Plastic Padding liquid metal as this is both fuel and oil resistant and is exactly like body filler and goes off in a couple of minutes in this weather.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: