eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Limit Steering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nberga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 15:33    Post subject: Limit Steering Reply with quote

Hi,

Is there any way to limit the steering angles for the Pajero??
I've just put on 33'' tyres on original wheels, they work perfect, they are inside the body since we have that kind of problem here in Portugal, but they rub the steering rack on full steering angle, if we could limit just a little bit the steering angle would be perfect.

It's just a small amount so no worries on the steering.

The Pajero it's the long version 96 2.5TD

Cheers.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 15:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

robfinger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the front side of your lower control arms, right inboard of the ball joints - there should be a rather long hex-shaped stud protruding thru a hole in the arm (one per arm), those are the stops for your steering knuckles. They are a fixed length but if you made them longer somehow (creative use of welder comes to mind) they'll do exactly what you're after. However keep in mind two things - first these steering stops thread directly into the ball joints' mounting flanges so if you're gonna weld on them you're best off removing them from the vehicle first, and then second as you go over bumps with your steering at full lock and knuckles firmly against said stops this will cause some scary noises and eventually it'll wear either the stops or the knuckles or maybe even both. My own Pajero (98 wide body but same chassis as yours from what I gather) has that exact wearing issue going on right now,  I recently installed Lemforder-brand lower ball joints and their stops are longer than factory ones.

There are also another set of steering stops, those live on the back side of the crossmember that runs more or less between your steering box and the idler arm, basically look right in the corner behind the crossmember and under the frame rails and you'll see them. Those are adjustable, if you bring them out some they will limit the turning angles of the pitman and idler arms and by extension the knuckles and wheels. But then the force of hitting something with the tires while at full steering lock will get transmitted directly to the idler and pitman arms and also the steering box, I personally would rather deal with scary sounds from extended knuckle stops then give the steering linkage and box some heavy beating.
robfinger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing, I'm running 16x8 wheels with the ET-12 offset, factory wheels offset is +10 of I recall right, so the centerline of my wheels and tires is sitting solid 20mm further out from factory and my tires are still right at the edges of the wheel arches. Might want to consider this as possible option down the road.
nberga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

robfinger wrote:
Look on the front side of your lower control arms, right inboard of the ball joints - there should be a rather long hex-shaped stud protruding thru a hole in the arm (one per arm), those are the stops for your steering knuckles. They are a fixed length but if you made them longer somehow (creative use of welder comes to mind) they'll do exactly what you're after. However keep in mind two things - first these steering stops thread directly into the ball joints' mounting flanges so if you're gonna weld on them you're best off removing them from the vehicle first, and then second as you go over bumps with your steering at full lock and knuckles firmly against said stops this will cause some scary noises and eventually it'll wear either the stops or the knuckles or maybe even both. My own Pajero (98 wide body but same chassis as yours from what I gather) has that exact wearing issue going on right now,  I recently installed Lemforder-brand lower ball joints and their stops are longer than factory ones.

There are also another set of steering stops, those live on the back side of the crossmember that runs more or less between your steering box and the idler arm, basically look right in the corner behind the crossmember and under the frame rails and you'll see them. Those are adjustable, if you bring them out some they will limit the turning angles of the pitman and idler arms and by extension the knuckles and wheels. But then the force of hitting something with the tires while at full steering lock will get transmitted directly to the idler and pitman arms and also the steering box, I personally would rather deal with scary sounds from extended knuckle stops then give the steering linkage and box some heavy beating.

Robfinger,

It worked like a charm!!!
Thanks!!!
robfinger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, glad I was able to help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: