Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

GDI - 2021 UK Petrol grade switch to E10 95 octane

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 13:45    Post subject: GDI - 2021 UK Petrol grade switch to E10 95 octane Reply with quote

From September 2021 UK is switching from standard unleaded E5 (95 octane + 5% ethanol) to E10 (95 octane + 10% ethanol) which is incompatible with GDI engines pre 2007 according to
E10 Compatibility:
Quote:

Mitsubishi

E10 petrol is cleared for use in all models with petrol engines except those equipped with the GDI engine (gasoline direct injection) until 2007 models.

Recommendation is to switch to E97. Prolonged use of unleaded E10 could cause damage to seals and metal.

RAC says:
Quote:
In short, no. As many as 600,000 vehicles on our roads in 2020 aren't compatible with E10 - you can see if your car is compatible with the new fuel by visiting the official E10 online checker.

Drivers are advised to contact car manufacturers with any questions surrounding their specific vehicle. For example, Vauxhall says “E10 fuel can be used in all petrol-engine Vauxhall vehicles except models with the 2.2-litre direct-injection petrol engine (code Z22YH) used in Vectra, Signum and Zafira.”

As a rule, drivers of cars registered prior to 2002 are advised not to use E10 in their vehicle, as problems have been reported. And as of 2011, all new cars sold in the UK must be E10 compatible.

The RAC understands that if you put E10 fuel in an incompatible car it will still run, but seals, plastics and metals may be damaged over longer periods as a result of bioethanol's corrosive properties.

There have also been reports that E10 is a less stable fuel and that this can make it more difficult to start a vehicle that has not been driven for an extended period.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 13:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:36    Post subject: E10 replaced E5 at pumps from 1st September 2021 Reply with quote

UK fuel stations now only have E10 Unleaded. The V6 3.5 GDi engine seals, etc., are not compatible with the Ethane content of the fuel so we either have to use a higher octane/lower ethane mix, more expensive, alternative or an additive
Are there recommendations for a trusted additive (my bet is there may well be poor/fake products on the market to snare the unaware) ?
iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an example I looked at the Miller Oils EPS Ethanol Protection Fuel Treatment but even its Product Technical Data Sheet only specifically makes claims about anti-corrosion properties but avoids specific mention of protection of seals, for example.
Quote:
USER BENEFITS:
 Endorsed by the FHBVC to protect against the corrosion effects of ethanol in modern fuels.
 Combats the adverse effects of ethanol in fuel (up to E10).
 Prevents fuel system corrosion.
 Helps protect components.
 Carburettor anti-icing formula.
 Compatible with catalytic converters.
Heinz57nt

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 20:53    Post subject: GDI - 2021 UK Petrol grade switch to E10 95 octane Reply with quote

E5 petrol is supposed to be available for 5 years. Even during the fuel shortage this week I obtained a tank of top grade from local Shell garage.  I have to admit mixing with E10 a few times but needs must.
radiomike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:51    Post subject: Re: GDI - 2021 UK Petrol grade switch to E10 95 octane Reply with quote

Heinz57nt wrote:
E5 petrol is supposed to be available for 5 years. Even during the fuel shortage this week I obtained a tank of top grade from local Shell garage.  I have to admit mixing with E10 a few times but needs must.

IIRC the grey import mk2 GDIs had a different map to the UK ones and were supposed to be run on Super for best results.

I also found this from Mitsubishi New Zealand which contradicts the UK understanding:

https://www.mmnz.co.nz/about/environment/bio-fuels/
radiomike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 13:13    Post subject: Re: GDI - 2021 UK Petrol grade switch to E10 95 octane Reply with quote

radiomike wrote:
Heinz57nt wrote:

IIRC the grey import mk2 GDIs had a different map to the UK mk3 and were supposed to be run on Super for best results.

I also found this from Mitsubishi New Zealand which contradicts the UK understanding:

https://www.mmnz.co.nz/about/environment/bio-fuels/
iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have been clearer in my follow-ups that I was referring specifically to 95 RON unleaded.
radiomike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 23:58    Post subject: Re: E10 replaced E5 at pumps from 1st September 2021 Reply with quote

iam_TJ wrote:
UK fuel stations now only have E10 Unleaded. The V6 3.5 GDi engine seals, etc., are not compatible with the Ethane content of the fuel so we either have to use a higher octane/lower ethane mix, more expensive, alternative or an additive
Are there recommendations for a trusted additive (my bet is there may well be poor/fake products on the market to snare the unaware) ?

Puzzled by your use of Ethane, Ethane is a alkane gas while Ethanol is an alcohol liquid.
iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:06    Post subject: Re: E10 replaced E5 at pumps from 1st September 2021 Reply with quote

radiomike wrote:
Puzzled by your use of Ethane, Ethane is a alkane gas while Ethanol is an alcohol liquid.

Ah, the joys of predictive/destructive text input!
trispaj

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any feedback from the 3.0 & 3.5L V6 users on E10 yet?
ButtsBrow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advice appears fairly straightforward for the GDI engine DO NOT USE E10.

I have been caught out where only E10 is available, and it is probably the age of the vehicle, but the filler pipe and large hose to the fuel tank gave up in the last cold spell and started to leak. It is probably due to dirt tapped under the wheel arch trim. All now replaced this summer. I did wonder if the Ethanol which attracts water was enough to cause freezing and ice crystals which formed on the filler pipe / hose junction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: