Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Air con needs TLC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big TONY
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 20:55    Post subject: Air con needs TLC Reply with quote

1996 Pajero 2.8td LWB Mk2 (V46W)
Air con not blowing cool. On examination two leaks are visible, in larger pipe at n/s chassis member at the joint at the front and on same pipe at rear at joint - visible signs of refrigerant. Appears to be no refrigerant in the receiver.
I’ve never worked on an air con system. Could it be that the seals are away at the joints? Is this fixable?
Condenser looks tired, would now be a good time to refurb whole system?
Realise that I do not have equipment to drain system and refill.  Expect this could be a labour-intensive job – costly.  Has anyone had someone emptying system, me doing work, and refilling once I’ve refurbed? Can anyone see a problem with this?
Can I still run car without cooling? Will the heater still blow hot?
Don’t care too much about being cool – just open window, like in the good old days. But the prospect of a cold car in winter… Argh…
Any advice gratefully accepted and appreciated.
[b]
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 20:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

2.25diesel

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

If means simply replacing a pipe, it shouldn't be too costly to repair. If the condenser is looking corroded, it may be worth replacing it at the same time. They aren't that expensive, new units can be bought for around £80. Some of the joints are sealed by o-rings. These can be easily changed, but a specific type of green refrigerant grade o-rings are needed.

If the system has been empty for a while, there may be leaks elsewhere. The AC service machines test the system for leaks using a vacuum before refilling. If no leaks are found, the machine will then run a cycle which will purge the system and pump in fresh refrigerant and compressor oil. They can also find slow leaks by adding dye into the system which will glow green under a UV light. It is also possible to add a sealant to the system which can seal some small leaks.

I am unsure if an AC repair company would allow you to replace the parts yourself. It would be best to ask them first if they would allow that. Has all the refrigerant gone, or is there still some pressure in the system? If it is all gone, you may be able to replace the parts yourself then book it in for re-gassing. It is illegal to vent the gas into the atmosphere, and it can also cause burns if it comes into contact with skin.

As far as I know, if your vehicle was built in 1996, it should use the common R134a gas which is the standard type. Older systems require a different gas which many places do not have the ability to fill.

Lack of use is a common cause of AC system problems. It is said that they should be used at least once a week to circulate the compressor oil. There could be other problems if it has been unused for a while.

The heater will still work as it is a separate system that uses hot coolant piped from the engine. It does not require a working AC system to work.
big TONY
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comprehensive reply - i appreciate it and hope  that others will benefit from it.
All the best, Tony:-)
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience I would not waste my time with anyone who uses a vacuum test service machine. Find some who actually does not rely on a machine to get the job done. The system needs to be checked with Nitrogen under pressure.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Emax, replace the components and have the system pressure tested, this will show any leaks and from memory thick fit were doing system recharges in which they pressure test first and if the system leaks they don't charge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: