Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Should i change my transmission fluid?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sean12321

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 0:13    Post subject: Should i change my transmission fluid? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Ive recently bought a 2009 Mitsubishi shogun 3.2 diesel auto with 99k miles. I believe is hasn't had a gearbox service before, should i have the gearbox oil and filter changed? Ive read online that changing the oil when its been left too long past its proper service date can cause problems, and your better off just leaving it. Is this correct?

Thank you
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 0:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes change it, no need to change the filter though as the oil flows back through them and flushes them out.

Do a basic check by pulling the transmission dipstick and wiping it onto a piece of white kitchen roll and it should be cherry red, if it is anything but cherry red then it needs replacing, if it going brown or is brown it is shot and needs replacing quickly and if it is black the brake bands are breaking up and it needs immediate replacement.

If you leave any oils standing for a period of time they absorb moisture which breaks them down. They are designed to work at specific temperatures which activates the dispersants and detergents and they bring any moisture into the sump, thee detergents then break them down and the temperature evaporates the water which has collected.

Incorrect ATF and leaving it to long can cause problems if left, use Millers Millermatic SP 3 WS or Millermatic SP 4 and it needs 2 X 5 litre containers to do a change, plenty on here about how to do it and any DIY mechanic can do it, my 4 year old grandson did mine last time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: