QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Diesel leak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennisrobinson53

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 17:04    Post subject: Diesel leak Reply with quote

I have just noticed a few drops of oil on the driveway.
I thought at first it was engine oil..I have now looked underneath and there is a small drip of diesel from around the rear of the car.
I replaced the corroded filler/breather pipes a couple of years ago so should not be from them.
Has anyone else experienced a diesel leak from this area?
Car is booked in to have the problem properly diagnosed but cannot get this done for a couple of weeks.
Might help if this is a known problem then we know where to start looking.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 17:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Perry T

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to pull off the cover and check all the joints as there are quite a few near and below the filling neck. If they are all sound then clean all the lines and wait for the leak to appear. Leave the cover off so easier to see. Is the drip in the centre or rear
dennisrobinson53

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know yet as I cannot get the car up on the ramps for at least 10 days yet. appears to be only on the offside and little more than an occasional drip although the chassis is "wet"
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely a holed fuel tank which is badly corroded on the bottom offside corner around the filler pipes, or at the filler pipes, or underneath the tank if it is clogged up with dirt between the guard and tank.

Remove the guard and replacing every alternative fixing with nuts and bolts to hold the tank and remove the remaining fixings to remove the tank guard.

Examine it carefully and if it is rusted, thin, ir pin holed then follow this procedure. Get some Plastic Padding Leak Fix, this is like car body filler but goes off quickly, if the tank itself is leaking then drain the fuel using the drain bung, clean the tank in the affected area using an angle grinder with wire brush fitted  in and around the area of the leak, back to clean metal, clean the surface of the exposed metal with a cleaner such as alcohol (IPA) or cellulose thinners and let it evaporate, scour the area with coarse emery or similar and work in multiple directions to scratch the tank to form a good key, clean again.

Mix a small anount of Leak Fix and apply to the fuel tank using a thin coat, leave for an hour (longer in cold weather) and mix another small amount, spread this over the first coat and further out over the exposed metal, leave and apply a third thin coat and leave overnight to fully cure.

Once cured you can sand with coarse paper to remove any imperfections and its fixed, while you are there you clean the rest of the tank and paint the tank and your repair, allow to dry and filter your removed diesel before putting back into the tank.

Only use Plastic Pading leak Fix and nothing else as Leak Fix is fuel proof, many other fixes are not despite claiming they are.

Did my MK 3 in 2009 and its still running about with this fix and hasn't leaked since.
dennisrobinson53

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a 200 mile run, tank low and leak getting worse
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your tank is getting thin and gone porous, follow the above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: