Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

2nd cracked 4m40 head in 12 months...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy Lander

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 13:35    Post subject: 2nd cracked 4m40 head in 12 months... Reply with quote

('97 Pajero 2.8td 4m40)

Hello Guys

I have just had confirmation from my local machine shop that the cylinder head I installed approximately 12 months ago is also cracked..

Brief history/list of parts replaced previously, approximately 12 months ago:
Aftermarket cylinder head (complete with camshaft etc)
Radiator
water pump
thermostat
viscous fan
expansion bottle
coolant
(All from Mitzybitz)

Fitted aftermarket digital temperature gauge and warning siren!

obviously don't want to fit another new head and it happen again..

It's been running well for the last 12 months, this time around happened two days after I replaced diesel pump seal and refitted pump, though was running fine after that... Until one eve on M3 heard loud sort of grinding noise and then instant overheated and cracked expansion bottle and now know the head!

I can't see how it's anything to do with that.. wondering if it could be worn injectors causing to much heat if spray pattern not right ... Clutching at straws at mo.. obviously something causing it to get too hot

Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 13:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.
I seem to remember over the  years that some heads are better than others. I have no idea if mitzybits heads are good bad or indifferent. From memory some of the heads that are available are the usual cheap chinese junk, There was long running argument  on here about cheap heads.

I do remember that v8rick on here recommended a supplier, he had fitted many heads with no problems from that supplier. If you use the  search facility above in red, you can search all the information,advice,disagreements, suppliers.
Andy Lander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your advice - will have a look at the past discussions!
Levans

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above, having myself experienced the grief that comes with unknowingly using Chinese parts in years past. What you describe sounds like more than just very bad luck.

Did your Mitzybitz head come with any kind of warranty? For something like that I'd expect so given how long they can (and should) last.
Andy Lander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bud

I am currently in discussion with Mitzybitz and awaiting them to get back to me with an offer of how we can come to an agreement in resolving the problem..

In theory I believe 12 months to be the warranty period but following recent discussions with them they won't admit or accept that it is due to a cheap manufactured head, but obviously having changed the majority of the cooling system as well at the same time their possible theory that it's due to a cooling system issue is unfounded.

Will update further once I hear back with their proposal how we are going to resolve it!..
Andy Lander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bud

I am currently in discussion with Mitzybitz and awaiting them to get back to me with an offer of how we can come to an agreement in resolving the problem..

In theory I believe 12 months to be the warranty period but following recent discussions with them they won't admit or accept that it is due to a cheap manufactured head, but obviously having changed the majority of the cooling system as well at the same time their possible theory that it's due to a cooling system issue is unfounded.

Will update further once I hear back with their proposal how we are going to resolve it!..
Andy Lander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 0:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a little confused and concerned regarding a text I received from the guy at Mitzybitz yesterday though as he is now saying they have found me a 2nd hand AMC head which they are going to get pressure tested and skimmed for me possibly... This concerns me in a few ways... Do I really want a 2nd hand head?? And why are they now going down this route if their usual replacement heads which apparently are manufactured in Taiwan are as good as they claim they are!?....
Levans

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMC as in this Spanish company?

https://www.amc.es/en/the-company/

I'm not familiar with them, but offering you one of their heads does seem to undermine their confidence in the quality of the Taiwan-made heads. I'd probably go for it if it's going to be skimmed and pressure tested though, as long as it's also warrantied. And I also wouldn't want to be paying a new price for a 2nd hand head.
Andy Lander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening all.. update on my dealings with Mitzybitz...

They have now changed their tune again and offered me a reconditioned 2nd hand head manufactured in Asia for £240 or a new head again manufactured in Asia for £480.….. (the same cost as I previously purchased one for..)

I have just sent a reply as follows;

Dear Paul Salford

Thank you for your quote

I am however confused and disappointed at this as following our recent conversations by telephone & WhatsApp text I believed you was going to offer me reimbursement or a discounted proposal offer on the new replacement cylinder head & associated parts that I now require having previously purchased these items from you in February 2021 that equate to over £800, and have proved to be defective and not fit for use 8 months later - October 2021.

I look forward to your response.

Best Regards

Andy Lander
Andy Lander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening all.. update on my dealings with Mitzybitz...

They have now changed their tune again and offered me a reconditioned 2nd hand head manufactured in Asia for £240 or a new head again manufactured in Asia for £480.….. (the same cost as I previously purchased one for..)

I have just sent a reply as follows;

Dear Paul Salford

Thank you for your quote

I am however confused and disappointed at this as following our recent conversations by telephone & WhatsApp text I believed you was going to offer me reimbursement or a discounted proposal offer on the new replacement cylinder head & associated parts that I now require having previously purchased these items from you in February 2021 that equate to over £800, and have proved to be defective and not fit for use 8 months later - October 2021.

I look forward to your response.

Best Regards

Andy Lander
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: