Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

4m41 Injector pump now rough running

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danV68swb

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 19:55    Post subject: 4m41 Injector pump now rough running Reply with quote

Hi all - looking for some expert assistance!

I have a 2001 3.2 SWB auto. The truck started surging revs on first starting then it would settle back but run a little rough. Smelt like it was running rich but no smoke.

Eventually it packed up all together one night and I got it recovered home.

Took some advice, had a poke about decided it needed an injector pump, convinced myself it was worth doing and got a recon pump (the cost of it physically hurt!).

I fitted the pump, realised it should appear a tooth out once installed (due to the helical gears) took it out and reinserted.

Forgot to remove the locking allen bolt on the pump gear, it collected some aluminium swarf but didnt seem to do it any damage.

It now starts ok (bit more turning over than it used to need) but its lumpy as school custard at idle. I have replaced the coolant temp sensor, the air intake sensor, the EGR was blanked off before I got it, also swapped the MAP sensor. I went through the re learn process for idle.

Still lumpy.

I found out there is some adjustment of the pump timing between the pump body and the casting that fits the pump to the front plate. The Mitsi manual says you need their MUT computer to go through this fine tuning of the timing. I have carried out high scientific testing of the pump position and it doesn't seem to make much difference to the lumpy engine.

Should add that I replaced the injectors too with new zexel ones.

Anyone any idea what else I should be looking at? Could I have stuffed the pump turning it over with the locking bolt still in?

Any suggestions very gratefully received!

Thanks in advance.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 19:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

AlexK -RSA

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:51    Post subject: Re: 4m41 Injector pump now rough running Reply with quote

@danV68swb

Hi Dan,

I also have a 3.2 SWB 2001 with a similar problem.

My problem started when I had a #3 diesel fuel line leak from the pump to the head.  The crack was in one of the bends so diesel was squirting all over.  I guess due to the vibration clamps/mounts that hold the pipes in place were not installed.  So I bought a good looking 2nd hand line and replaced it.  Car started fine and 5km into the repair i hear this clank and smoke.

Sh@t myself at first, got home and have been searching for the cause ever since.  I now also has a rough idle, bluish smoke and a pungent smell.  You can't breath within 5 minutes.

Discovered the post this morning by PeterMiller (captured to the bottom of my message)  Going to give this a bash in this coming week.

So far I have done the the following from various peoples advice, but none have yet solved the problem:  (* Number 6 is next on the list, but now need the budget)

1. Glow plugs - replaced with new ones
2. Serviced and tested the injectors
3. Serviced the turbo
4. Cleaned the inter-cooler and pipes
5. Drained the water&anti-freeze as someone suggested head gasket leak - started and ran with the same smoke although no water in the engine

6. *Diesel pump setting/overhaul/repair/test

Other than that the car drives (drove) well.  I have it for 4 yrs now, but been chasing the cause for over 6 months now.

Just some extra upgrades - I have an Iron Man suspension all round, very comfy ride and handles plenty better than the standard suspension.

Hope to help each other solve this problem.

Cheers

AlexK

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Credit for the instructions by words goes to PeterMiller"
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 13:57    Post subject: Fuel pump adjustment / recallibration

Quote:
After Speaking to Mickey, this is what I did:
Tools Required:
10mm socket / bar /ratchet
13mm combi spanner
Stubby screwdriver
Step 1: Remove Intercooler
Step 2: Locate Pump Adjust
At the back of the pump where the diesel line goes in, there's a banjo.
Just underneath this there's a 13mm nut. (This may be covered by a metal cap with a nipple looking end - take it off if it is. Mine wasn't covered - obviously not put on after the SVA). Uncrack this nut - there's an adjusting screw located inside this nut.
Step 3: Adjust Pump, NOTE: Based on my symptoms of no smoke, barely reaches 80mph, dies going uphill, poor mpg - I was advised to turn the adjuster screw in on and 1/4 of a flat inwards. A flat is not a whole turn but merely a single edge of the nut - ie. a hex nut, one turn is one side of the nut. Nip up the 13mm nut.
Step 4: Put intercooler on
Step 5: ** IMPORTANT** Reset spring in governor
Start up
Tick over for a few secs
Slowly rev to 2.8k / 3000rpm gradual build up & let off real slow. Then floor it! Over 3000rpm & let off a quick – ignore engine twang this is just the governor reseting - mine didn't make any noise.
JUST DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK - NEITHER MICKEY OR MYSELF ACCEPT ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY COCK UPS
I am filling up today to do some mpg tests over the weekend - will keep you posted (in this topic)
My mate adjusted his too - a bit too much and it smoked like a ba$*ard - simply adjust the screw outwards a flat at a time - REMEMBERING to adjust the governor spring."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: