Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

ATF Oil? Advice needed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harvomark
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 22:52    Post subject: ATF Oil? Advice needed. Reply with quote

Hi,

Changed my ATF oil the weekend, got ATF from local factors who gave me the oil suitable for the Paj. After looking on the web i have noticed the oil given was Comma AQF. Confused

Meets requirements of: Ford M2C 33F/G
Approved for use in Borg Warner automatic transmissions and torque converters.
Also suitable for Ford transmissions (including C.3. Bordeaux gear box) and certain hydraulic systems and power steering pumps requiring Ford type fluid.

Is this suitable for the Paj 2.8?

Any help would be appreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 22:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Baddoo
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would take it back and get it changed for Dexron II that is the specification required, if your looking at comma oils its the AQM automatic transmission fluid or even the Dexron III which is AQ3 will do just as well.
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Assassin who seems to know what he about, recons not Dextron III but Diaqueen III. What say you Question
Stevos

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend this stuff.

Oil
Wiltshire Pixie

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of discussion on the subject here:
http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=113588

Enjoy! Smile
harvomark
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies,

I have already changed it but at the time i didn't have a concern as the previous ATF i used exceeded Dexron II specifications but also was suitable for M2C 33G the ford specification. That was six months ago with no adverse effects, when i brought this ATF i questioned if it was suitable and he said it is the same specification of the previous oil, i checked and it was the same except it didn't mention Dexron II on this bottle. I only questioned when i came across the comma website.

Will it be suitable or cause damage Confused
harvomark
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone can offer advice before i drain & refill again.

Many Thanks Very Happy
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difinitive seems to be that Dextron III. is the lowest safe spec. Dextron II being only just acceptable. Even Assassin has confirmed this one. Wink  Very Happy
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a better link to it http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=113690&highlight=
harvomark
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies,

drained & refilled as a precaution, spoke to an auto technican today he felt that using M2C 33G in a dexron gearbox wouldn't do any harm as it was compatable with dexron IID but i am travelling to the south of France it would better to not take the risk.

Thanks  Very Happy
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 19:41    Post subject: Oils Reply with quote

This has been a contentious issue because as a professional engineer i found the same problem, this was because many ATF's claimed to be Dexron III, but my Shogun was rated for Dia Queen III, this confuses many as the Dexron specification is much lower, Dia Queen SP III is a much higher spec.

What vehicle is yours, and what is the original recommendation? if it is Dia Queen SP II of the older 2.5/2.8 pajero/Shogun then this is fine.

If it is the newer Shogun, the 3.2 DiD 1999 on then it requires the better Dia Queen SP III as this is the specification for this gearbox

Dia Queen SP III is backward compatible, basically it means Dia Queen SP III can be used in an earlier auto transmission designed for the earlier SP II specification oil. This was done to allow Mitsubishi dealers to use one ATF in current and older models and not have two types of ATF on their premises, this allows bulk manufacturing of one type of aTF for all vehicles, and reduces the risk of filling the transmissions of many models with the wrong fluid.

Basically, if your vehicle is the earlier type with a recommendation for Dia Queen SP II then the AQF is fine, if it is the later vehicle and designed for Dia Queen SP III then AQF is not suitable.

If you have any doubts then look at Opie oils website, they currently have Millers Millermatic ATF SP III on at £30 for 5 litres, mention you are a member of this club then it comes down to £26.99, obviously there is postage. This meets the specifications of both SP III and being backwards compatible, SP II.
This way you will have the right oil for your transmission, irrespective of what type or year your model is.
harvomark
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assasin,

Thanks for the reply,  Very Happy

My Paj is a 2.8TD 1995. the spec for this is dexronII or Mercon ATF(DII stamped on the plug). as per previous post i used an ATF which was specified for M2C 33G but was also compatable with Dexron IID six months ago, i have had many autos and beleive in changing the ATF every six months. This time i used a comma AQF as it was the same spec as the one used previously, even the guy behind the counter says it would be fine for the Paj. I drained and refilled but then i came across the comma website which when i put in my reg it came up with AQM meets dexron II specs. Speaking to an auto technican he felt that it would be fine to use M2C 33G in a dexron II spec auto box but would be an issue if it was the other way round due to the fricton characteristics. He said there may be a slight chance of harsh gear changes but unlikely with the Paj auto box.

To be honest due to the amount of travelling i will be doing i decided to change the oil to AQM, for the cost it seemed better to be safe then sorry Rolling Eyes

Again thanks for the info.
103BS

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 23:37    Post subject: ATF Reply with quote

Hello, brand new owner 2000 Shogun 2.8 TD
what ATF should i be using ? - there has been so much about this in the past i see but a quick confirmation of current thinking / availability would be appreciated
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark

Dexron was never recommended for these gearboxes and many have Dexron 2 stamped on the plug which was only to get you home or to a dealer where it would br drained and refilled with the correct Dia Queen SP II.

Dexron moved on and Dexron III nearly caught up with the Dia Queen SP II specifications and for light or non off road or towing use you would get away with it but for the price difference it would be sheer folly to use it when the correct SP II is available as it lasts moch longer and copes with the heat.

Dia Queen moved on and they introduced SP III and this was designed from the outset to be backwards compatible and from 2000 it was the standard for the MK 3 Shogun and being backwards compatible meant it could be used instead  of SP II and dealers dumped their stock of SP II and replaced it with SP III so the apprentice wouldn't put SP II into a MK 3 gearbox by mistake and trash it.

SP III moved on and became SP III + and them SP IIII and the SP IIII incorporated the PA specifications.

People see Dexron and Dia Queen are different but they see Dexron 3 and SP 3 and think they are the same, they aren't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: