eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

air con refill advice from experts needed ... R24 or ICM49 ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Air Con / Heater issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gonzo

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 15:34    Post subject: air con refill advice from experts needed ... R24 or ICM49 ? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have the old R12 systrem (I think) and I want to get one of those "drop in" refills.

I have been recommended to get R24 as refill, but the guys I spoke to at the aircon refill place said that I would be better off going for a commerical ICM49 gas ( I think it was ICM or ISM or something like that), as the propane content of the ICM is less than the content in R24 and thus would be safer.

He mentioned that there is a slight over pressure difference to be dealt with, but it can be compensated for by filling less into the system

Has anybody got any comments/ help? I have never heard of the ICM gas.

Any help much appriciated, as I cant seem to find a fitter with R24 gas and the summer is getting hotter.

Thanks

Gonzo
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 15:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

more x 4
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm airconman,he'll tell you whats what Wink
monday

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a good chance you system uses the old R12. I hear its hard to get down there. Due to the scarcity of this gas, your guy is recommending putting in the more ozone friendly R135. Yes there is a pressure issue because the new gas works at a higher pressure. It’s not recommended to just switch from R12 to R135 (or was that R134??). some fittings WILL have to be replaced.

The compressor is another issue.
The shaft seal of the old R12 systems will not stand up to the higher pressure needed by the new gas. It will work, there is no doubt, but the gas will slowly leak out the shaft. Some say the compressor will blow up completely (not true). You can under fill the system to compensate for the pressure, but you wouldn’t be happy with the results.

Personally, I prefer to use the R12 (although not available anymore in some countries). It cools faster and can keep you cool even when driving high noon. I have a car that uses the new gas. Its ok, but just cant keep the cabin cool when the sun is up.
Sam-F

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do vehicle aircon & electronics for a living and would not use anything other then R24 for a drop in as it was developed as a replacement to R12
you may find some one in your area at http://www.instvac.co.uk/
gonzo

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

will see if I can get R24 then instead of this icm49

Thanks for the advice,

Gonzo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Air Con / Heater issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: