2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

WARNING 4M40 timing chains (chuff chuff)!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Technical FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smugfop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:57    Post subject: WARNING 4M40 timing chains (chuff chuff)! Reply with quote

Greetings for Delica land.

I just thought i should pop over to see our Pajero owning brethren....and sisteren (is that a word?) and give you an update on our issues with 4M40 timing chains.
Some of you may recal posts regarding timing chain "chuff chuff" noises at around 2500RPM.
I've done a quick search here and it seems that a few of you also have the same issue.
Just to confirm after lengthy investigations that early 4M40 motors, generally 1994 models had an issue with weak timing chains.
It doesn't seem to be common knowledge but Mitsi realised this issue many years ago an main dealers fixed the issue for free under warranty, in New Zealand and Japan anyway.
A few owners in Delica land have had their chains replaced and have found that this solves the chuff chuff issue, there are also reports of those who didn't replace them in time and faced hefty repair bills and one lucky members motor let loose while the dealers had it so they fixed it for free.

So a word of warning, if you have an early 4M40 motor and hear a chuff chuff noise, generally under load with the windows closed, get it to a garage and have it checked ASAP, they DO let go and it IS expensive.
After replacement you will also notice a increase in fuel economy and power, its not a cheap thing to replace but ignore it at your peril.

Just for illistration here is my chain.

Good luck and come by and see us some time, we may be discussing issues that involve you too.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

marc t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the dealers have a bulletin/service action etc on this as surely if it was done in some countries it should be done here?

Also is this noise when hot/cold etc as mine engine in general sounds noisy when cold but its not too bad when warm.
smugfop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not heard anything from the UK or elsewhere, but in New Zealand it is well known with the guys who have been with Mitsi for a while, the dealers i asked when pricing my chain knew straight away why i was enquiring and even indicated that they had special tools to do the job.
The noise is there at any temperature, mine started at 2000rpm under load and was more audible with the windows up, when you back off the throttle the noise stops until you hit the peddle again, it sounds like a steam train "chuff chuff chuff" with no increase of speed as the revs rise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Technical FAQ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: