Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

cat 1 alarms

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Technical FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
auquest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:34    Post subject: cat 1 alarms Reply with quote

I am due to pick up a 2.8 lwb exceed in the next few days, could any members reccomend a make of cat 1 alarm to fit, also the difference between cat 1 and cat 2. I have been viewing this excellent and very informative forum for for a few weeks, and it made my mind up to purchase an exceed.
thanks in advance.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

EvilEd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clifford is the most common alarm that I have seen. I've had no probs with them either.

As for the difference, I think it's the number of "Isolation points" (Number of wires it cuts when immobilised) and the distances and locations.

Somethink like a CAT2 means they have to dismantle half the Dash, CAT1 and they have to dismantle the whole thing Smile

I'm sure someone will give a more Techy answer
DorsetChris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Cat 1 consists of a Thatcham approved alarm and immobiliser. I think a Cat 2 is just one or the other.

I got a Cobra Cat 1 fitted for £310 (all in), including an extra cental locking motor so I could have remote CL. It's got a movement sensor and a 2 stage immobiliser so the car's not going anywhere.

The place I bought it from said a Clifford would be OTT for my needs. They reckon they're better suited to convertibles and high end sports cars.
Either way I'm chuffed. Hope this was helpful.
Steve H

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat 1 Laserline fitted to any car I've owned for the last 5 years.

No problems, false alarms etc.

Usually about £300 fitted, inc VAT.

Steve H
P3JRO
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you need a cat 1 for insurance or does it just reduce the premium?
sjhmail

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

auquest,

Cat 1 is alarm and immobiliser, Cat 2 is immobiliser only.

I've just had an Autowatch 172ri Cat 2 immobiliser fitted to my Pajero (insurance company requested min Cat 2), because it was the only Cat 2 model I could find with remote central locking fobs.

Cost me £170 fitted, including an extra locking motor in the drivers door required (as it's only an actuator switch fitted in the drivers door for key-only activation).

You may be lucky and have remote c/l on the model you're getting, but a lot of models just come with key-only c/l - no good if you've got an arm full of kids like me!
Allen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thatcham.org/resources/pdfs/compliance.pdf

full Thatcham info can be found through the above link and all I would add is that some insurance company's insist alarms are installed by a bone fide VSIB member ...a Vehicle Security Installation Board.....be very careful about this as one thing is guaranteed...when a claim is made, an insurer's first brief is to check that the insured (you) have complied with all of its requirements......
eldoublee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 20:35    Post subject: alarms Reply with quote

hi mate got a TOAD cat1 on mine it not only makes everything light up if someone can get in but also immobilises the vehicle if they start it and get it uptp 4mph then it just stops dead.
auquest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 23:28    Post subject: alarm Reply with quote

thanks for info guys really helpful info, looks like its got to be a cat 1 for insurance (and peace of mind).
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Technical FAQ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: