QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

rear door / tailgate lock jammed / ceased / won't open ...

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Technical FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trig

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 22:43    Post subject: rear door / tailgate lock jammed / ceased / won't open ... Reply with quote

My Pajero's central locking used to LOCK/UNLOCK all doors (4 door + tailgate).... till last week!!

Now central locking UNLOCKs all five doors but LOCKs only the four main doors leaving the tailgate unlocked!!

It is annoying having to go to the back of the car to manually lock the tailgate everytime I leave the car.

The question is: is this a mechanical fault or is it an electrical fault? or is it something else?

Any advice onto how to sort it out please Sad

tags : rear door lock stuck jammed ceased unlock wont will not open shut
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 22:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Steve H

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trig

Take the rear door trim panel off and spray WD40 liberally around the mechanism inside and outside. Work the handle a few times, internally and externally - should solve your problem!

Steve H

(words added by Stuey: You can also try just squirting WD40 inside the handle from the outside, through the gap where the handle mechanism shows. You can see the metal bits and a white piece of the handle which pushes down on the mechanism inside as you lift the handle. If you are lucky like me you could do it without getting your tools out Wink... trouble was, this was after I had removed bits of trim on the inside and didn't have the heart to cut the plastic shiled inside the doorskin, lol)
Ronald

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trig,
Had the same problem, took trim off and found that the little spring on the handle mechanism had worked itself loose, pushed it back in fully, bit of grease to ensure it was lubricated but did not slide off again and WD40 everywhere else.
Problem solved
Ronald Smile
Trig

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve & Ronald

Thanks. I will work on it next year Laughing ... that is tommorow. Now I realised how this problem may have happened. A couple of weeks ago, I had the wheel cover resprayed and the rear bumper fixed (it was dented). The chap who did the job told me that he adjusted also the tailgate handle as its freeplay was too much!! I actually went back to him for the above problem and he insisted it was an electrical problem... Apparantly it is not and it must be something he did when adjusting the handle Evil or Very Mad . Happy new year to you all.
Trig

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on my previous post.... THANKS guys... it worked Very Happy Very Happy
Ian 146

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 22:14    Post subject: Rear Door Stuck on Pajero Reply with quote

Hi my rear door handle went limp and couldnt shut the rear door, anyway pushed it too and locked it Great i thought!!!!
Oh no cant open it now anyone got any ideas please!!!

Cheers

Ian
Steve H

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian

Try looking here http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1149&highlight=rear+door

Hope this helps.

Steve H
Ian 146

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks will try that

Rolling Eyes
Neal M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 23:27    Post subject: Paj rear door Reply with quote

Hi Ian,will the back door not opening cause grief hitching that fine looking 'van of yours up? I know to hitch mine I have to because I fitted a Winterhoff anti pitch/snake coupling and it's a right *beep* what with the jockey arm and the handbrake lever etc not to mention the spare wheel on the back of the door. Sorry I can't help with your problem, hope you solve it soon! Cheers all the best!
Drewy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same trouble a couple of weeks ago, just after mine started cutting out due to fuel pump seal (so I was well chuffed).
No amount of locking/unlocking was get the rear door free. In the end I had to pull all of the trim off the inside of the door. I then managed to free the lock mech. Gave it a load of wd40 and reassembled. Vowed never to use the key lock on the rear again......It's central locking or nothing Wink

Drewy
Ronald

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us have had the same problem, check this thread aswell
http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1058
Ronald
Smile
Ian 146

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 5 mins of posting problem, someone replied and told me the fault and how to cure it, climbed in back off paj today and removed the door trim and managed to open the door, sprayed everything with wd 40 and its as good as new again.

I think it speaks for itself when you have a club like this where help is readily available by fellow enthusiasts .

THANKS

It is appreciated. Razz Razz Razz Wink Wink Wink
EvilEd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 17:55    Post subject: Ahhh, can't open rear door Reply with quote

Okay, Who's been there / Done this....

Missus unlocks the car this afternoon, boot handle is floppy and the back door is not unlocking properly (orange bar partially shows, then returns to grey as you lock!!!) cannot open from inside either!

I envisage several hours sitting in the boot trying to dismantle the rear door this evening.....

Any pointers gratefully recieved.

EvilEd Twisted Evil

Women and cars just don't mix do they!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,
Been there, done that.
You need to get the inner door panels off and this is possible with door closed, however you might get it to free by jiggling drivers door lock on a fast speedbump as I did.
Open the toolkit and remove the 4 screws that hold this in.
Remove the screw in that indicator thingy.
Pull panels off - they are attached with plastic pegs.
Under where the indicator thingy is you need to slit the plastic and spray teflon lube or similar on the spring loaded J shaped thing.
That should solve your problems.
Scott

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a common problem. At least your jammed shut!. I had to fix my own recently and because it had jammed with the door open and would not shut it needed fixed straight away before the freezing cold turned into freezing cold plus rain Sad .
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Technical FAQ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: