Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Flashing Green Light and ABS Light

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lightningmcbean

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:29    Post subject: Flashing Green Light and ABS Light Reply with quote

Hey just bought a 2002 Shogun Sport, which after 5 days of ownership has a flashing green 4WD light.  Also the ABS light comes on intermittently!!! My questions....

Are these related or 2 separate issues?

Any obvious fixes?

Will I need to remortgage?

I have seen lots of info on the forums but would appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

Many Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

KEVINBUK

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this problem before and it is not an expensive job to fix you will be relieved to hear...

The problem is with the 2/4WD switch on top of the transfer box. The switch is faulty and the flashing lights are due to the switch not engaging/disengaging correctly, the switch has a connection back to the gearbox ECU which has a branch off to the ABS ECU...

if you look at the wiring diagram on the link from this flashing lights link you will see what I am describing. (the details are for the older Pajero but the principle regarding this switch are the same)

http://4wd.blogeasy.com/article.view.run?articleID=318776

Unfortunately it is not easy to get to the switch as its on top of the transmission so you need fingers like ET with the strength of Arnie otherwise the manual helpfully suggests you drop the transmission to gain access - yeah, right !

good luck..

K  Wink
tubbs

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

before you start ripping the cross member off try and get yourself on a gravel / slippy surface and get it into 4l on my shoggy you have to push the stick down and towards your leg. If it engages properly then drive it slowly forwards put it back into 2h and reverse it back and pull forwards again. Try this a few times. The problem with all the system's is if you don't use it you loose it !
Solenoids get sticky along with switches if never used. Mine did all kinds of doom and gloom things with the 4wd when i first bought it. I test drove it on a muddy field when i bought it and all seemed to be fine. Then the next time it all went tits. Firstly flashing 2wd lights then no indication of 4wd but you could tell it was engaged because it felt and sounded slightly different.
I just worked it and put it into low range put all the diff lockers on and off and kept driving it back and forth in a field SLOWLY IN LOW. Its been absolutely fine since and drops into 4h and 4l with no bother. The 4wd comes back off within a 30 or so yards now. It used to take a good while. So stick with it. It probably needs a good work out. You read through the forum and it looks like these motors are be set with all kinds of problems but they really reliable motors to be honest. Thats why we all love them !
So dont be glum chum ... if it starts working properly make sure you put it into 4h at least once a week.
tubbs

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

abs light is probably a  poo sensor.
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make you aware, it might be worth checking your owners manual - but I suspect that you cannot use 4H on solid surfaces (ie a road) on your Shogun Sport.

You'll see a lot of advice on here to change between 2H and 4H every week to keep the system nice and free - but this only applies to Pajeros, Shoguns and Monteros, which have full time Super Select 4WD. Most (if not all) of the Sports, Challengers and Pinins have a fixed centre diff when in 4WD mode, which relies on wheels being able to slip on mud/grass/snow/sand/gravel. If you put in in 4H or 4L when on tarmac, you'll wind up the centre diff and potentially damage it the first time you try to corner.

But I agree - try changing from 2H to 4H and back first to see if it'll disengage. But find somewhere soft and muddy to do it.
KEVINBUK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich r wrote:
Just to make you aware, it might be worth checking your owners manual - but I suspect that you cannot use 4H on solid surfaces (ie a road) on your Shogun Sport.

You'll see a lot of advice on here to change between 2H and 4H every week to keep the system nice and free - but this only applies to Pajeros, Shoguns and Monteros, which have full time Super Select 4WD. Most (if not all) of the Sports, Challengers and Pinins have a fixed centre diff when in 4WD mode, which relies on wheels being able to slip on mud/grass/snow/sand/gravel. If you put in in 4H or 4L when on tarmac, you'll wind up the centre diff and potentially damage it the first time you try to corner.

My 1996 2.8 Challenger has a Centre Diff Lock which is engaged after and separate from 4WD selection and is "Super Select" I drive in 4WD (4H - diff lock off) when roads are greasy and am happy to scoot along at 60 mph. I would not change between 2 and 4WD at speeds over 40 mph (I normally aim for around 30 mph).

Its only when you further shift to 4HLc (4WD with Diff lock on) that the speed needs to be very low and only used on very loose surfaces. The only remaining position is then 4LLc which is Low Ratio and Diff Lock on...

so:

2H = 2WD - normal dry road driving
4H = Full Time 4WD - greasy normal roads
4HLc = 4WD with Diff Lock - Rough snowy and slow terrain
4LLc = 4WD with Low Ratio and Diff Lock on - when you are in the brown and smelly stuff only.

If you dont have 4HLc and 4LLc on your transfer lever then as recommended above, check your manual.

hope that helps

K  Wink
rich r

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I said to check - some Challengers and Sports do have Super Select, but the majority don't. It's worth being sure what you have before following advice meant for Pajeros and causing damage.
KEVINBUK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed

I did a quick check-see at lunchtime and the 4WD indicator lights panel on mine says "Super-Select 4WD" so thats something to look out for...

K  Wink
lightningmcbean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys....
lightningmcbean

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, been up on tut moors and everything seems to function in 4WD exactly as it should!!  Must be the dodgy sensor!!!
dave18
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be lack of use, When i got our challenger and went into 4wd the light would flash and the ABS light came on, after several days of using both 4 and 2wd it stopped so guessing that its lack of use. I also found that turning the ign off and on again would sort the ABS flashing.
KEVINBUK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave18 wrote:
I also found that turning the ign off and on again would sort the ABS flashing.

yes,snicking it into and back out of 4WD used to work with mine too...

K
rich r

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the ABS system takes note of whether you're in 2WD or 4WD so it knows when a wheel is slipping. If the lever is set for 2WD and the box is still in 4WD (because it hasn't disengaged properly) then it probably gets confused and puts up the warning light.

Still - you have a workable solution, and an excuse to go in search of rough ground every couple of weeks to keep the 4WD system happy Smile
lightningmcbean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update time.....

Well the light went out for 2 days and then came back on flashing when I engaged reverse!!!  Have put it in and out of 4wd a couple of times and now it is constantly lit when in 2wd.  Think I may have to bite the bullet and use a mechanic!!!
lightningmcbean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashing again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: