Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Ratchet straps 5 ton +

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Green Laning Tips and Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 15:29    Post subject: Ratchet straps 5 ton + Reply with quote

Just had a thought for emergency use and if stuck would a decent ie 5t+ ratchet strap help to recover vehicle  from  being stuck to an extent.I dont mean 4ft of mud Laughing but in general say on a lane attached to strop for example.Just thinking of an easy but safe way of recovery without going the winch route as would never get the use out of it to justify all the expense.What are your thoughts please,and be kind Laughing as t is an inquiry as considering this path(pun intended) Laughing
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 15:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

markymoan

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very usefull for pulling sideways if you are close to a tree or wall, you will only get a foot at a time but its enough to get something down to stop you sliding back.
I carry one but fancy a small turfor as you can carry on pulling rather than having to release.
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that,could you expand on the turfor one please Wink
minesapasty
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was banger racing, it was very rare for any of my cars to be able to move under their own steam when loading up at the end of a meet...... I used to carry one of these, which were quite cheap to buy and were able to pull any car that I was likely to race in.

They don't take up a lot of room either Wink  Very Happy
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm what weight limit are they Question in basic terms its just for emergency in case i need to pull truck out a little,so ideally 5t minimum
markymoan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 4 tonne one is less than £20
You have a pm  Wink
mark dale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used these little pullers  -  and broken them .....  although they can strain and pull a little bit, they aren't really designed for pulling stuck items  -  I think they are essentially a re-designed wire tightener ( used for tightening fencing wires etc)  and are only meant for rolling loads .....  eg,  they failed pulling a range rover up onto my car trailer, not enough pull,  and it broke pulling a fridge van up.

But, they will "help"  to put extra strain on, to assist with spinning wheels  Laughing   similarly  as will a Ratchet strap.

I also use a little 5000lb portable winch £50 jobbee that attaches to tow bar, trees etc, and is just connected by jump leads etc  ..  but again, these are only really helper winches ......  and, still struggle pulling a rolling 2 tonne load up ramps onto a car trailer

a Hi-lift Jack can be used as a winch  - will pull 3.5 tonne

a proper Tirfor is really good  - can be had 2nd hand  sometimes

In essence,  as our trucks are heavy, and we tend to get em stuck and proper stuck !! Confused     we need the proper kit to get them sorted, although other stuff can help,  but if you rely on it  ...  it can be dangerous ....

mark " likes pulling" dale
wilwil_uk

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 4ton strap has performed well everytime 5ton one can only be better with some proper D shackles  Laughing
dont get those poo elastic ones they break after so many times of use
wilwil_uk

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i didnt type poo. i typed s h i t x y!
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the decent shackles so just had a look at the tirfor and lots from 150-300+ Shocked might as well go for portable winch that attaches to tow ball,plus spending that amount i might as well spend a bit more and do it properly.The idea was something in case of emergency just to give a helping hand and as a decent 5t ratchet strap can be bought from £10+ new its cheaper and easier(may be not to use Laughing ).I will not be risking to much as it is for when i am on my tod so no silly deep mud ruts etc.
Heard mixed things on the high lifts and know they have to be decent ones(not £30 bay of e specials)plus can be dangerous and as i dont have the experience with them probably wont take the risk with them as yet.
One thought i had was a  heavy duty detachable tow ball fitted to front of truck and as you said Mark a portable winch that attaches.But after all the cost again a winch at front(permanently fixed)would work out same cost.Still i suppose it could attach to rear to get you out of the carp.
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
A 4 tonne one is less than £20
You have a pm  Wink

Just had a look Mark and found one starting at £40 but majority Shocked up to £500 Shocked  Shocked just want a cheap(ideally)safety measure for that one time(hopefully)as on away days and pay n plays there are always people more than happy to help out with their new winch set up Laughing just for use on lanes on my own.The link was broken so could not see the £20 one
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilwil_uk wrote:
my 4ton strap has performed well everytime 5ton one can only be better with some proper D shackles  Laughing
dont get those poo elastic ones they break after so many times of use

I have at mo a 7.5t strop and 2 x 3.5t shackles with 7t break point,just some kind of ratchet strap to help truck get moving a tad.Is yours a strop or ratchet strap Question
mark dale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

venn105 wrote:
Got the decent shackles so just had a look at the tirfor and lots from 150-300+ Shocked might as well go for portable winch that attaches to tow ball,plus spending that amount i might as well spend a bit more and do it properly.The idea was something in case of emergency just to give a helping hand and as a decent 5t ratchet strap can be bought from £10+ new its cheaper and easier(may be not to use Laughing ).I will not be risking to much as it is for when i am on my tod so no silly deep mud ruts etc.
Heard mixed things on the high lifts and know they have to be decent ones(not £30 bay of e specials)plus can be dangerous and as i dont have the experience with them probably wont take the risk with them as yet.
One thought i had was a  heavy duty detachable tow ball fitted to front of truck and as you said Mark a portable winch that attaches.But after all the cost again a winch at front(permanently fixed)would work out same cost.Still i suppose it could attach to rear to get you out of the carp.

You don't need to bother with the front tow ball attachment - the winch comes with a plate, which you can pretty much shackle  / strap to anything, but has a large hole in it which slots over a tow ball ...  of course you can double the pulling power with a snatch block, which makes it a lot more useable..  

But, for what i think your application is, a Hi-lift jack will probably give you much more versatility  -  lifting, winching, clamping -  they are slow for winching, and have the same drawbacks as a manual hand winch, in that to use it at the same time as driving, once the strain is off it, then it isn't doing anything, whereas a porta winch means you can winch and  drive at the same time .....   but then,  you need something to attach the winch to  - so you'll need a ground anchor , and how about some waffle boards for bridging gaps, and what about .......................   Laughing

mark " got 2 4x4's and a garage full of kit" dale
markymoan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those cheap hand winches would be perfect for his needs, he doesnt go off roading so at most its for that silly moment when you get stuck and wonder how  Laughing
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
I think those cheap hand winches would be perfect for his needs, he doesnt go off roading so at most its for that silly moment when you get stuck and wonder how  Laughing

Laughing  Laughing its for the odd lane on my tod when away with van Wink just being prepared thats all Laughing  and i have plenty of silly moments when i dont get stuck thank you mr moan Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Green Laning Tips and Techniques All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: