QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Ratchet straps 5 ton +

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Green Laning Tips and Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markymoan

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me to, flat wet grass being one and I didnt want to dig holes as it was a park (Scout event)
Very  Embarassed
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 20:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

minesapasty
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
I think those cheap hand winches would be perfect for his needs, he doesnt go off roading so at most its for that silly moment when you get stuck and wonder how  Laughing

I've used mine for lifting engines in and out, when an engine hoist wasn't available, pulling a wreck onto a trailer, pulling a rolling chassis onto a trailer, they are a good tool........ when used sensibly. Obviously trying to pull a 2 1/2 ton truck with a tin-tent on the back or when stuck upto the axles in thick mud is beyond their scope, but they can be used for so many things, and as said, they can be bought cheaply, a great tool to have in your toolkit.
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

minesapasty wrote:
markymoan wrote:
I think those cheap hand winches would be perfect for his needs, he doesnt go off roading so at most its for that silly moment when you get stuck and wonder how  Laughing

I've used mine for lifting engines in and out, when an engine hoist wasn't available, pulling a wreck onto a trailer, pulling a rolling chassis onto a trailer, they are a good tool........ when used sensibly. Obviously trying to pull a 2 1/2 ton truck with a tin-tent on the back or when stuck upto the axles in thick mud is beyond their scope, but they can be used for so many things, and as said, they can be bought cheaply, a great tool to have in your toolkit.

Thats what i was thinking if i get a 5ton or more it will come in handy and can just leave in boot
gegs750k4

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

venn105 wrote:
minesapasty wrote:
markymoan wrote:

Thats what i was thinking if i get a 5ton or more it will come in handy and can just leave in boot

theres a reason they are so cheap ya know. they are c.rap. the place i used to work for were service agents for and importers of em, they are a pulling machine, not a lifting machine. if you get one then first job is change the wire. the original ones are garbage. the rachet and pawl mechanism are made of chocolate and the link plates and pins bend and shear for fun. if they were better made they would be great but they are made out east in prisons (so we got told).
rather than use one of them i have used a 3t pull lift in the past, a damn site safer and less chance of taking your hand off.
markymoan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most winches aint 5 tonne so why that number?
A 10,000lb winch is 4.5 tonnes and I wouldnt like to be next to it if it let go  Shocked
You just aint going to get 11,000lb of pull from a ratchet or a hi-lift, if you want 5 tonnes then its a winch bumper and a 12,000lb winch just to be sure.
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that one for me Mark,5t ratchet strap i am on about not winch and not to be used as one,just to use to help get out of any slight issues that i could find my self in.To move truck a metre or so,not for recovery out of 2ft of mud,if i was looking at winches then prob a 12,000lb one just to be on the safe side although a 9,000lb would be sufficient.As you said in earlier post handy to pull truck away from trees for example that all
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this just for example
http://www.4x4recovery.com/Ratchet-Straps/5-ton-6-metre-long-ratchet-strap/prod_11.html?review=write
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
Most winches aint 5 tonne so why that number?
A 10,000lb winch is 4.5 tonnes and I wouldnt like to be next to it if it let go  Shocked
You just aint going to get 11,000lb of pull from a ratchet or a hi-lift, if you want 5 tonnes then its a winch bumper and a 12,000lb winch just to be sure.

Neither would i ,but again i would not get into a situation on my own that would require a 12,000lb winch(as i dont have one).I would be with others and carry a strop with me to be pulled out in that kind of environment.
gegs750k4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

you would need 2 ratchet straps used as a pair or the first time you release the ratchet to get another grab the car will roll back to where it started. i'v loaded a scissor lift onto a tilt trailer doing this when the wheels were slipping and it really is hard work. you will end up with your arms cramping afterwards and not being able to drive for a while Rolling Eyes .

oh and you will only get about 6" of movement before you have to release the ratchet...
markymoan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be lucky to get 1/2 tonne pull on a ratchet strap unless you use a crowbar to lever it, like I said, handy tool (very handy) but not good for recovery.
The 5 tonne is the strap rating not its pull  Wink
gegs750k4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had 2t pulling uphill onto a trailer with one. i was in agony afterwards, couldn't drive the car and for about 3 hrs afterwards my arms were shaking. they are a cra.p idea for recovery use.
markymoan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use them to stop things sliding sideways and hitting stuff, you can pull a 4x4 sideways on slippy stuff and throw stuff down to stop it sliding back, also good for pulling backwards when you cant reverse and just need those few inches  Laughing
markymoan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and you can pull a boeing 747 with a ratchet strap, I'm on about actual pull not what you pull.
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing thats all i need,cheers chaps,so its no good then Wink just a thought i had but obviously a carp one Laughing
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
I use them to stop things sliding sideways and hitting stuff, you can pull a 4x4 sideways on slippy stuff and throw stuff down to stop it sliding back, also good for pulling backwards when you cant reverse and just need those few inches  Laughing

For what they cost as said are useful so will get one just in case but not use for recovery Wink ...............for more than a few inches Wink  Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Green Laning Tips and Techniques All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: