Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

leaking fuel pump 2.8 diesel quick fix

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Top tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gegs750k4

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

try washing all the side of the engine from top to bottom with the intercooler off.
let it dry and throw some talc at the engine.
start it up,
you will be able to see exactly where your leak is and where it's tracking to.
the brakefluid thing is primarily for the front fuel pump seal which allows the diesel to leak into the oil sump so wouldn't show on the outside.
as much as everyone is raving about brakefluid at the end of the day it's a bodge and one that can end badly. it means you put off sorting the job until it's really necessary and that's usually when it's too late.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 19:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

markopollo

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

gegs750k4 wrote:
try washing all the side of the engine from top to bottom with the intercooler off.
let it dry and throw some talc at the engine.
start it up,
you will be able to see exactly where your leak is and where it's tracking to.
the brakefluid thing is primarily for the front fuel pump seal which allows the diesel to leak into the oil sump so wouldn't show on the outside.
as much as everyone is raving about brakefluid at the end of the day it's a bodge and one that can end badly. it means you put off sorting the job until it's really necessary and that's usually when it's too late.

good idea although a bit messay LOL

Im sending it down to the old man to take a look tomorow hopefull he will sorce the leak.
Not mad keen on the 4dot idea think i whould rather get a new pump.
check out my new post http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129480&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
Thanks Mark
johndps

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering now.
Are we all on the same page here?
Reason I ask is that I have an issue on my 2.8 in that I believe the front pump seal needs replaced.
On reading doughnut's original post, doesn't say if the fix was effetive on a 2.5 or 2.8.
Usually, the 2.5 leaks externally leaving drips and the 2.8 doesn't.
The 2.8 symptoms are normally start up, runs, dies, hard to start, then fine all day.

Doughnut and others who have tried this - we talking about a 2.8?
snagz

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still wondering what made you think of brake fluid in the first place?
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said in his original post, he used to use it on CO2 paintball [I think] guns when the seals shrunk/got hard because of the CO2.
I am also interested on if it is still good.
Think Someone Prob Simon [time he got a job and stopped Fiddling] been messig again. Im sure there was more on this, certain I remember Doghnut posting he had done 18000 miles since he did it and was now considering it a permenant repair.
doughnut

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 0:29    Post subject: fuel pump quick fix Reply with quote

hi pajero is 2.8 tdi short wheelbase fuel pump leak was external( top seal ) all fuel connections were ok .
its been 6mths leak free since 500ml brake was introduced into fuel tank
no problems with front seal but i do check the engine oil regularly for signs of fuel contamination and vice versa, check the fuel for engine oil. vehicle has suffered no ill affects and is running well
if fuel pump had to come off might have considered scrapping it , as last pajero a 2.5 , i owned was a real dog first head gasket went. then starter motor then alternator ,waterpump , the point i am trying to make here is you can keep chucking money at em and something else just goes.
so if a cheap fix works dont knock it
johndps

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying that mate.
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doughnut. I had missunderstood though, I was thinking front seal, as I think were others.
I dont think I have a problem with mine, except every now and then [Maybe twice a week] I have a problem starting and clouds of grey/whitish smoke, and wondered if the ambient high temperature here was  causing slightly different symptoms.
I'm going to try the brake fluid as I cant see it doing any harm, but maybe some good  Confused  Shocked  Smile
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

REVOGEL wrote:
He said in his original post, he used to use it on CO2 paintball [I think] guns when the seals shrunk/got hard because of the CO2.
I am also interested on if it is still good.
Think Someone Prob Simon [time he got a job and stopped Fiddling] been messig again. Im sure there was more on this, certain I remember Doghnut posting he had done 18000 miles since he did it and was now considering it a permenant repair.

Quote-- certain I remember Doughnut posting he had done 18000 miles since he did it and was now considering it a permenant repair.

Thought the above was someone on here using K-seal.., not brake fluid  Rolling Eyes ?
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think your right Ken, Not K seal though but Steel seal. Senior moment there  Wink  Laughing  brain addled.
Walt

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

REVOGEL wrote:
Think your right Ken, Not K seal though but Steel seal. Senior moment there  Wink  Laughing  brain addled.

he actually said 30,000 miles in the space of 6 only  months!  Shocked  Shocked  Laughing
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walt wrote:
REVOGEL wrote:

he actually said 30,000 miles in the space of 6 only  months!  Shocked  Shocked  Laughing

He hadnt done the 30,00 when I posted [look at the date] that came later.
Wish I could afford the fuel to do that sort of mileage.
Jozsi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 21:16    Post subject: Re: leaking fuel pump 2.8 diesel quick fix Reply with quote

doughnut wrote:
hi to everyone
joined this site about 6 weeks ago as most members would have done, to gain info on their trucks
my problem was leaking fuel pump on start up, if left just 3-4 minutes ticking over a puddle the
size of a manhole would appear, the leak however would disappear  when engine was hot .
after visiting a few local garages ,same reply oooff  big job that .  ££££ss+£££sss
i thought to myself i wonder thinking back to the days of shooting co2 gas guns and how
the cold inert gas used to shrink the seals on the guns , and how  we used to solve the problem
was simple, brake fluid. a bead the size of a teardrop placed on a co2 gas cartridge would soften and rejuvinate
the seal

so heres what idone first i ran truck till fuel light came on then i put 500ml of brake fluid in fuel tank
followed by a fiver,s worth of diesel ran truck as usual, brake fluid burns when hot so no problems with smoking
or other running issues. just top up with fuel as normal when fuel light comes on.
six weeks later no fuel leak from pump ( this quick fix seams to have treated every seal in the pump)
i am now getting nearly 28mpg  enginge tick over is also alot smoother even when cold
this may seem a little unorthodox but my pajero is 17 yrs old  and doesn,t warrant £300+ repair bills
ps will keep everybody updated (every couple of months ) as to how quik fix is holding up

I have to try this brake fluid trick before disessembly the pump. Let me know if you have any new update concerning the effectivness of this solution. Idea

After 50 miles no fuel leak, two weeks later the pump is "dry".
I will inform you how long could this trick cover the sealing problem.  Wink
jimbnmth

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 15:41    Post subject: leaking fuel pump 2.8 diesel quick fix Reply with quote

just come across doughnuts brake fluid theory ,can see the logic and will try it on my top leak.will keep posted as to result.
wilwil_uk

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

will be nice to know if it will fix the 2.5 top leak problem, post back ur result mate
i know 2.5 will burn almost anything happily, so i dont think theres any ill effect even if it doesnt work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Top tips All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: