Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

leaking fuel pump 2.8 diesel quick fix

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Top tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mitsu Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

So will adding dot4 sure up the pump seal then?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 22:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Mitsu Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and will it turn your diesel red? Embarassed ? Not ideal if it does.
Mitsu Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I added some dot4 into the diesel.  It does seem 'tighter' time will tell . . . . .
paulb1970

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 17:41    Post subject: Any news on the brake fluid quick fix for pump seal's ... Reply with quote

Afternoon all  Wink

I've got a leaking front seal on my p-reg 2.8 paj ...

I've got all the filter's and new front pump seal - but can't get it done for 3-5 days ...

Is there any news on the brake fluid quick fix from someone who has tried it ...

Has it cured your seal's or not  Question

As i might give it a quick go until ive got more time to sort my seal out and a few other odd's and end's that need's done ...

Cheer's  Wink
Eustace

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:01    Post subject: doughnut is a genius Reply with quote

I have a 2.5 Exceed and was mucking about with veg oil for a few months till my pump started leaking. After battling for a couple of days to patch it up, fixing a leak in one place then finding another, I read this post and thought I'd give it a shot. I never usually post on forums but I'm so impressed and astounded that I joined the owners club and registered on here to assure people it actually works!

The tank was almost empty so I chucked in 500ml of brake fluid and drove home. Left her standing with brake fluid in the system. After a couple of hours, I came out to check and the drips under the body had significantly slowed down - I'd say fuel which had leaked and collected in pockets on the engine etc.

I then went for a drive for an hour or so, putting £20 of Rothschild's diesel in the tank (Instead of veg oil).

This morning I came out and the bottom of the engine was clear - problem solved... IT WORKS!!

Well done doughnut!

I've been into tinkering with motorbikes all my life so it's quite a bit of trial and error for me with these diesel engines. Lovely big lumps aren't they?

Regarding the veg oil - I recon the viscosity is too heavy. The pump is sucking McDonnalds milkshake through a straw when it's been used to sucking sprite. Refining the oil is the way forward - I'm just getting the low down to start making bio diesel. Have a look at Graham Laming's website...

Far far cheaper than buying fuel from our gangster owners who have the monopoly : ) and no tax to pay either! whooo hoooo
big_yin

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the seals chaps ?
paulb1970

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well mine is running like a dream with new seal fitted  Very Happy
Richy85

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be worth putting some in every now and then as a preventative measure?
Walt

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richy85 wrote:
Would it be worth putting some in every now and then as a preventative measure?

Richy, if it ain't broke, don't fix it mate.  Wink
Chromedome

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
           Im watching!  thankfully i dont have a problim with any seals at the moment but i do have a problim with 22 mpg, if we can get 28mpg, on the strength of that alone, i reccon, Go For It, anyone got any ideas as to how this can get another 6mpg ?   Stephen.
Jim Pike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Been having cutting out issues for a while, so reading this thread decided to bang in some dot4. Drove Paj for around 25 miles and noticed it was a bit more responsive and quieter, pulled onto drive and let it tick over, WOW it ticks over with no hunting on the revs and no shaking revved up a couple of times and it settles back to around 800 rpm steady. I will add that mine is a 96 2.8 with eletronic pump that is prone to erratic idle.

Will try it again latter see it it is still OK or if it was just a fluke, If it helps mpg also I wouldn't mind 22 to the gallon let alone 28  I will get seal done when weather is warmer.
Let you know if any adverse effects.

Jim
Jim Pike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a *beep* to start this morning, turning over for a couple of minutes before any signs of firing.
Eventually started after about 4 minutes, then ticked over really smooth, normally rough tickover so rough that it almost cuts out.
so the dot4 has helped the running, but what about being much harder to start, well got my mate to check glow plugs which I had been suspecting of being on the way out, well in fact 3 were dead so replaced them all.
See what tomorrow morning brings. Oh happy days

Jim
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a problem the only real way to cure it is to replace the faulty part, anything else is just putting of the inevitable, and your prolly going to burn your starter motor out too  Surprised
Jim Pike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark3

You are of course bang on, didn't give athought to the starter motor. That problem should be sorted now with new glow plugs.
I do intend to do the front seal as and when funds allow,  I know that it will be critical by then but hopeful it will hold out.
The truck is fairly well looked after recently had 4 new tyres, discs and pads, exhaust  and other bits and pieces. The Paj keeps me broke but had her nearly 8 years now and can't see any change in the distant future unless the rot sets in (she is 17 years old end of this year).

Let you all know how it goes

Jim
coulchie1234

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

My truck has started to cut out after first morning start so i take it front seals are on way out, so i just went for it and added the brake fluid to the tank, will see how i get on over the next few mornings, i do agree best thing to do is get seal replaced but i just do not have the €600 i was quoted to fit new one, wil keep you guys informed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Top tips All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: