Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

ABS warning light and centrel diff light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billsutton

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 19:06    Post subject: ABS warning light and centrel diff light Reply with quote

hi hope to get some info we have just bought a shogun on a 2003 and the abs light and audio noise comes on intermittently and the display for the 4 wheel drive the middle diff light has flashed a couple of times any ideas ,should i be worried ?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 19:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it has a hydraulic brake booster and accumulator and there is a known fault with them, most were done under a recall so you need to contact Mitsubishi with your vehicle details and they will examine it and replace it for free if required as a warranty claim.

You can test it simply:

Start the engine and let it idle for a minute, pump the brake pedal about a dozen times quickly and if it sets it off most likely the booster and accumulator.
billsutton

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply assassin,the guy we bought the car from said the brake booster was changed on a recall ,the car has been in storage most of the year ,we drove the car last night and the abs warning came on ,we pull over turn off pump the pedal about 6 times keeping foot down on the brake pedal restart the normally keeps the abs going ,but last night just as we pulled up the hand brake it also seem to reset the abs too so a little confused maybe the brakes need changing or bleeding or will this be a waste of time
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, defective fluid could cause this issue.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic which means it absorbs water and as you apply the brakes any water in the fluid turns to steam which is a gas and compressible, the ABS modulator would treat this as a fault, so replace all the brake fluid.

With the engine stopped and ignition off.

Pump the brake pedal fully 40 times to de-pressurise it.

Open a front caliper bleed nipple and pump the pedal until the reservoir is nearly empty, fill with fresh brake fluid and keep pumping until the new fluid comes through. Repeat with the other side front caliper, this is the front brakes done.

Jack or raise the back of the vehicle and access the bleed nipples, start the engine and let it idle for a couple of minutes.
Open one bleed nipple and be careful as the fluid will be under pressure, do this in very short bursts so you don't empty the reservoir, and constantly check the brake fluid reservoir, bleed until clean fluid comes through and then repeat on the other rear caliper.
billsutton

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

big thanks for that, Smile  is there any way i can check to see if recall pump was done on line ie reg no. or do i take it to a mcc dealer ?
SteC73

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can go onto a dealers site and put your vin number and it will check it for you?
billsutton

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update, the ABS light and noise comes on occasionally still, not always on first turning on, twice now we have been driving along and it comes on, carry on driving and it goes off again, both times as my foot comes off the brake.

On the last MOT the handbrake is notes as being at its limit as an advisory, totally unrelated?

And the central diff flashing has only happened on motorway driving.

Mrs Sutton
billsutton

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

the car went in today had new pads all round and new discs at the back,new brake fluid as well as new oil and filters plus timing chain guide (top),touch wood the abs issue has gone ,got all the work done for £250 inclusive of parts Smile
elv

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

thumbright
billsutton

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it seems i was counting my chickens ,so the abs light and hand brake light are coming on intermittently,both come on together ,so any ideas ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: