QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

First shogun, need advice from the wise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DurhamArch

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 22:06    Post subject: First shogun, need advice from the wise Reply with quote

Hello guys n gals, I'm a newbie in need of knowledge.  I've just purchased my first shogun, a 56 plate 3.2 did 4work. Unfortunately it came with no service history whatsoever (price was right so couldn't turn it down) and having 106,000 miles on the clock I was wondering if there's anything in particular I should be getting checked out.
It's running smoothly at the minute on 16" bf Goodrich all terrains, previous owner had it serviced and had the box and diff oils changed along with molyslip additives, this work carried out at a non mitsubishi garage.
Is it worth taking it to mitsubishi for a bit of a medical or will I get charged an arm and two legs ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

P.s. I currently work for Autoglym so if anyone needs help on vehicle appearance I'm happy to oblige

Cheers in advance
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 22:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

hutchy

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live in shildon just down the rd so welcome to the club..mitsy will charge a fortune so if your handy with spanners just ask i,m only a short drive away so can assist in anyway Wink
main thing is to check the fuel pipe from the filler cap to the tank they tend to rot and let water in rear heater pipes but you may not have the rear heater on yours,more or less just the usual wear and tear items,,brakes and pipes check cooling system especially for winter but otherwise just look after it Wink

Last edited by hutchy on Sat Nov 16, 2013 22:39; edited 1 time in total
tflnemesis
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about non main dealer servicing, if its been done properly it won't make a difference.

I would double check all belts, check for any sign of rot beginning. Make sure cooling system is in top condition with right antifreeze/ water mix.

Other than that if there aren't any strange noises or its not behaving when being driven i wouldn't worry too much. Just keep an eye on consumables.

All of my experience has been with my 2.8 mk2, but i am sure someone who knows the 3.2 did will be along fairly soon to give you a heads up about any particular problems to look for.
DurhamArch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

hutchy wrote:
i live in shildon just down the rd so welcome to the club..mitsy will charge a fortune so if your handy with spanners just ask i,m only a short drive away so can assist in anyway Wink
main thing is to check the fuel pipe from the filler cap to the tank they tend to rot and let water in rear heater pipes but you may not have the rear heater on yours,more or less just the usual wear and tear items,,brakes and pipes check cooling system especially for winter but otherwise just look after it Wink

Good crack mate, thanks
DurhamArch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

tflnemesis wrote:
I wouldn't worry about non main dealer servicing, if its been done properly it won't make a difference.

I would double check all belts, check for any sign of rot beginning. Make sure cooling system is in top condition with right antifreeze/ water mix.

Other than that if there aren't any strange noises or its not behaving when being driven i wouldn't worry too much. Just keep an eye on consumables.

All of my experience has been with my 2.8 mk2, but i am sure someone who knows the 3.2 did will be along fairly soon to give you a heads up about any particular problems to look for.

Thanks mate
VIKI

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
First at all VERY WARM WELCOME to the club!
My advices are as follow;
1 check fuel filling pipe which goes under back wheel arch on driver side they have tendency to rust get rotten drop that rust to fuel which leads to injection fuel pump and then its big bucks to address that problem/pipe is under plastic cover/flap/
2 top cam chain adjuster/slider it have tendency to break off and sometimes it takes engine with him its not expensive part to bayed
3 from my personal experience only what they do on dealership garages is taking money so in my opinion its wasting money to go there for healthy check(in my example they miss failing injection pump but not back light bulb which was out)
4 unless seller was your friend don't thrust in that what he said my advice check oil level,ATF level and colour it should be redish,change fuel filter job easy to do but little messy
5 goes tru all 4x4 settings and check if they work properly lo,high,and permanent 4wd if they wasn't in use it could be problem with engaging them then you have orange bulb flashing on clocks in 4x4 section
6 check if in 4sets row holder you don't have water like it was in mine which have enough water for fish farm Wink
7 check sunroof for leaks/rust
8 as in point 4 don't trust seller check car underside,change oil+filter.
9 check battery and charging battery as winter is coming
10 check colling fluid as above winter is coming and you don't want wake up in the morning just to discover so in cooling system you have summer fluid proportion and it get freeze by low temps outside.
11 don't expect mitsu quoted 36MPG it never happen!!
12 most important enjoy your new tankish ride and feelings they are good vehicles it will take care for you if you take car for them

any other questions just use search button on the top or ask most serteinly somebody give advice.

and on the end again warm WELCOME to the club
BenKenobi

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup - and forget the additives - get that stuff out - it's all snake oil designed to separate you from your hard earned, the benefits are dubious - if they weren't the manufacturers would specify them.

Use a decent quality of oil in any location and the additives are simply unnecessary.

By default with all the cars / trucks I buy the first thing that I do is drain and flush every oil, fluid and replace all filters - then I KNOW it's been done to the appropriate standard.
johntwarden
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the club  occasion5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: