eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

what bushes to look for as front end rattles and knocks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awant_uk

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 23:25    Post subject: what bushes to look for as front end rattles and knocks Reply with quote

the shogun is starting to get really bad as any lumps or slight bumps on the road at any speed rattle and bang and shudder through the car and steering wheel.. it feels awful. I havent the money to start putting it into workshops and quite enjoy the task of diy...

but knowledge is where i struggle a little..

am i best to change all bushes and rubbers in the steering and suspension or is there a best way of finding which parts are failing or what best to do please.
I know that i have to get wheel alignment and tracking checked properly as the steering wheel is off centre...

any advice would be great. thank you.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 23:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

BenKenobi

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

May not enjoy DIY quite so much if you start stripping Shogun suspension  - especially with a really cold spell forecast Wink

Seriously though you need to jack the front lifting one wheel at a time and then see if you can identify any discernable play by rocking the road wheel top and bottom, front and rear - not spinning the wheel but pushing it in and pulling it out. Watch the bushes in the lower and upper wishbones / front hub assembly ball joints etc as you jack up the car - see if they move much - the wishbone should pivot but it should not move in or out, up or down in the region of the bush. You should not be able to generate any knocks or clunks by hand - if you feel any then it's time to go to work finding out where the cluck etc is from - this will probably require a second pair of hands to do the rocking while you do the looking. (and keep the hell from 'under' the car while it is on a jack !!)

The concern here is that you say the steering wheel isn't aligned - this is warning one so either the tracking has been done incorrectly previously or the steering wheel / column joints removed and incorrectly replaced. Has the car always been like this or has it gradually got worse? - if the latter I'd advise you to find the cause before continuing to drive.

How does the car sit? is it horizontal or higher at the rear than the front, lower at one side than the other etc etc, how does it steer? is there any free play when turning the wheel? how secure is the wheel can you generate a knock by moving the wheel around?

Could be collapsed bushes, broken springs, duff damper, worn ball joints - any one of a whole shed load of things.
fest
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

standard ones that fail first are the front lower shock bushes ...

while under there get a grease gun and give the ball joints and

steering linkages a drink of the slippy stuff  Wink
BenKenobi

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no 'grease' points on factory standard 3.2 joints, I believe some aftermarket ones do come with them though, there are none on mine, the steering rack is a direct connect to the hub units so none of the intricacies of the Mk2 steering.
Davie5316

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front lower ball joints are a common fail and they squeak and knock like he'll.  About  £30 each, I fitted blue print ones which seem good quality. As stated above most are sealed units, I think Milners do a ball joint with grease nipple? After that I change or check upper front ball joints £25 each. ( these are easy to change)

Also check the anti roll bar bushes, another easy fix.
fest
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

never read the sub-title lol did not know it was a 3.2 ... same old

trouble for me must read things twice ... Laughing  Laughing
awant_uk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.. thanks guys.. i`ve owned the car since august... but have had a few other jobs to do before i get to this stage...
I`ll have to get it into the garage and on axle stands and see what i can see and hear moving. i know the nsf lowerwishbone has been replaced in july.. with a genuine mitsi part... but need to investigate further.
awant_uk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenKenobi wrote:
May not enjoy DIY quite so much if you start stripping Shogun suspension  - especially with a really cold spell forecast Wink

Seriously though you need to jack the front lifting one wheel at a time and then see if you can identify any discernable play by rocking the road wheel top and bottom, front and rear - not spinning the wheel but pushing it in and pulling it out. Watch the bushes in the lower and upper wishbones / front hub assembly ball joints etc as you jack up the car - see if they move much - the wishbone should pivot but it should not move in or out, up or down in the region of the bush. You should not be able to generate any knocks or clunks by hand - if you feel any then it's time to go to work finding out where the cluck etc is from - this will probably require a second pair of hands to do the rocking while you do the looking. (and keep the hell from 'under' the car while it is on a jack !!)

The concern here is that you say the steering wheel isn't aligned - this is warning one so either the tracking has been done incorrectly previously or the steering wheel / column joints removed and incorrectly replaced. Has the car always been like this or has it gradually got worse? - if the latter I'd advise you to find the cause before continuing to drive.

How does the car sit? is it horizontal or higher at the rear than the front, lower at one side than the other etc etc, how does it steer? is there any free play when turning the wheel? how secure is the wheel can you generate a knock by moving the wheel around?

Could be collapsed bushes, broken springs, duff damper, worn ball joints - any one of a whole shed load of things.

I will try all the things u suggest... but having put brand new pads and discs on last weekend i have checked visually for broken springs or leaking dampers etc. I`m hoping that the tracking has been done and just not lined up correctly.. just so many things to look for but will keep searching and trying your suggestions. many thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: