eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Offroading in the Pyrenees into Spain

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Out and about
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roadrunner2110

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 19:59    Post subject: Offroading in the Pyrenees into Spain Reply with quote

Not for the first time but I'll be treating the Pajero to some rough rocky passes again probably for the last time before it goes to it's new owner. The Pyrenees is a haven for offroad trails which criss cross the French/Spanish border. I'll post my final ventures there in due course hopefully with photos. It won't be until late June and until after I have collected the Merc from the UK and returned here with it. I need to get this done before the 'great unwashed' decend on their annual vacation in their thousands to the south coast and thereby clog up all the roads. Hopefully the old Paj has it's pecker up for a last grunt up those mountains.  Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 19:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a great way of saying goodbye to the Paj. I hope you enjoy it and get some good pics. If you're taking a GPS, it would be good if you could also share the GPS tracks.  It might be a good place to spend a few days on our way out to Portugal later in the year.  Smile
Roadrunner2110

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
Sounds a great way of saying goodbye to the Paj. I hope you enjoy it and get some good pics. If you're taking a GPS, it would be good if you could also share the GPS tracks.  It might be a good place to spend a few days on our way out to Portugal later in the year.  Smile

Hi Simon, many thanks. I'll certainly post or pm you some pics and satnav coordinates of the areas covered. There are a plethora of offroad tracks in the mountains that we discovered 2 years ago in the D2. We'll probably end our venture with a week in Donostia San Sebastian and around which is a great place for a stopover before returning.

Hope you have a great time in Portugal, it's changed a tad over the years since I lived and worked there but a great place to live, awkward language though and some of the oldest rules and regulations in the world. I bought a place back then in Quinta dol Lago overlooking the lake but sold it some time ago, hmmm, wish I hadn't now  Rolling Eyes . I headed up the new steelworks development project in the north of Portugal at the time, the main contractor was da Silva, no doubt you've seen the name around.
Jutwit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the situation in France and Spain then regarding green laning? Is it the same as over here? As in not allowed any bloody where?
Roadrunner2110

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jutwit wrote:
What's the situation in France and Spain then regarding green laning? Is it the same as over here? As in not allowed any bloody where?

Hi Jutwit, the attitude here is very different and there's a very active laning community and many offroad clubs. Provided one doesn't create problems by straying onto private land and stick to the many published maps there's no issues. Everybody here follows there own pursuits without busy body interference. I believe there's no ramblers association to cause problems and local authorities tend to mind their own business. Many of the rural lanes are also farm tracks. In the mountains there thousands of miles of charted tracks to follow and some views to die for.
Jutwit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

good old blighty and their knee jerk reactions. what maps do they do out there? are they an ordanance survey type?
Roadrunner2110

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jutwit wrote:
good old blighty and their knee jerk reactions. what maps do they do out there? are they an ordanance survey type?

Hi Jutwit, IMO there is far too much 'control' in the UK by pressure groups, hence the green lanes are disappearing. Having said that France is a far larger country with a similar population to the UK and most here reside in towns/cities so the countryside is vast and wide open. This gives you a flavour of what you can expect here:

http://www.wikiloc.com/trails/offroading/france

https://www.google.fr/search?q=offroad+maps+in+france&oq=offroad+maps+in+france&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.10197j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Offroading here is for the many and not the few but it can be a tad dangerous during the winter hunting season (mid Sept to April) as they tend to shoot at anything that moves.

Take a peruse through the maps and different departments all of which can be plugged into a GPS for navigation which is cheating a bit  Wink

PS no silly mud pits or pay and play here, you don't want to break down up in the mountains as you could be there for days as no-one passes too often. A mobile, preferably GPS phone is ideal but any phone is almost essential. This place is 4x4 heaven and sections are very long anything from a few kilometres to hundreds of kilometres. Always carry your passport, car reg docs and licence and insurance as it's legally required here.
Roadrunner2110

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:

Hi Simon, we hit some amazing offroad trails in the mountains and around. Unfortunately I didn't keep a record of our GPS routes but have some memorable photos. This is a useful link for planning and storing GPS coordinates.

http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/upload.do
Simon_W

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks CJ. Yes, I know Wikiloc. It's a great resource. I will be using it to find some suitable trails in Portugal.

I hope that you will upload your pics of your trip. I'd really like to see them.
Jutwit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner2110 wrote:
Jutwit wrote:

Hi Jutwit, IMO there is far too much 'control' in the UK by pressure groups, hence the green lanes are disappearing. Having said that France is a far larger country with a similar population to the UK and most here reside in towns/cities so the countryside is vast and wide open. This gives you a flavour of what you can expect here:

https://www.google.fr/search?q=offroad+maps+in+france&oq=offroad+maps+in+france&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.10197j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Offroading here is for the many and not the few but it can be a tad dangerous during the winter hunting season (mid Sept to April) as they tend to shoot at anything that moves.

Take a peruse through the maps and different departments all of which can be plugged into a GPS for navigation which is cheating a bit  Wink

PS no silly mud pits or pay and play here, you don't want to break down up in the mountains as you could be there for days as no-one passes too often. A mobile, preferably GPS phone is ideal but any phone is almost essential. This place is 4x4 heaven and sections are very long anything from a few kilometres to hundreds of kilometres. Always carry your passport, car reg docs and licence and insurance as it's legally required here.

thanks roadrunner  Very Happy
Roadrunner2110

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jutwit wrote:
Roadrunner2110 wrote:
Jutwit wrote:

Hi Jutwit, I'm going on another France/Spain mountain trek late September after the Angouleme races. Down to the south by autoroute south of Toulouse in the Disco D2 then up to Andorra into the mountains and then via Pamplona and an overnighter onto Donastia San Sebastian where we'll stop off for a few more days and then onto Bilbao for a few days via the coastal route then we return via the autoroutes.

http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=7542566

I'll post how it goes and the highlights of the trek.
Jutwit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be fantastic
Roadrunner2110

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner2110 wrote:
Jutwit wrote:
Roadrunner2110 wrote:
Jutwit wrote:

Hi Jutwit, I'm going on another France/Spain mountain trek late September after the Angouleme races. Down to the south by autoroute south of Toulouse in the Disco D2 then up to Andorra into the mountains and then via Pamplona and an overnighter onto Donastia San Sebastian where we'll stop off for a few more days and then onto Bilbao for a few days via the coastal route then we return via the autoroutes.

http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=7542566

I'll post how it goes and the highlights of the trek.

A small modification to the route. Starting at Marseillan, Herault for a week and then through Perpignan into the mountains following the border as per the wikiloc plan then down into Pamplona and onto Donastia San Sebastian. Similar to the last route but modded at the starting point. The whole trip will no doubt take longer, about 3-4 weeks instead.  Very Happy
Jutwit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm officially dead jealous , have fun  Very Happy
Roadrunner2110

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sincerely hope our trip into the mountains is better than the Angouleme races last Sunday, it was total rubbish. Even with a pal racing we weren't allowed into the paddock, there were army and police everywhere, the security was mega and you had to pay to fart even. Had a good lunch though in Angouleme and watched some boring races afterwards  Rolling Eyes  and departed at 16.00 on Sunday afternoon and vowed never to bother attending again.  Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Out and about All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: