eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Not bad for 22 years old...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:19    Post subject: Not bad for 22 years old... Reply with quote

My saved-from-the-crusher 1996 2.8 Challenger, which has just completed a 2,000 mile round trip to the Pyrenees and back. It was given to me as an old banger to take our dog to the woods in, and has now become a bit of an obsession!  Laughing

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

hutchy

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice motor and a nice save well done Simon... Wink
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:59    Post subject: Re: Not bad for 22 years old... Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
has now become a bit of an obsession!

I know that feeling!  Very Happy
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

hutchy wrote:
nice motor and a nice save well done Simon... Wink

Thanks Hutchy. I appreciate that.  Very Happy
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 14:09    Post subject: Re: Not bad for 22 years old... Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:

Most of my friends, family, and neighbours think I'm mad to put so much time into it. But I know if I start to ignore things that aren't quite right, the job list will grow to the point where I can't face doing any of it.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 16:45    Post subject: Re: Not bad for 22 years old... Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
peteinchad wrote:

Most of my friends, family, and neighbours think I'm mad to put so much time into it. But I know if I start to ignore things that aren't quite right, the job list will grow to the point where I can't face doing any of it.

My list gets longer when I start doing jobs. Do one job and find another two  Confused
hutchy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

well food for thought.. my paj is 21 years old i bought it back in 08 cost 2k i have probably spent the same amount or more keeping her right and on the road...my mates 2.8 is 26 years old and he has spent a few k on it in the last few years turbo cylinder head etc....i have just changed a clutch on a 2008 vw T5 bloke only bought it 2 month ago for 8k the clutch kit with offside stub axle and driveshaft as it to was knackered came in at £800 plus labour and that was in 2 month of his ownership,i don,t think these newer vehicles are built to any sort of standard other than a chuck away item like everything else compared to older vehicles like ours Wink
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swmbo has a new Nissan Juke (8 weeks old now).

She pays £200 a month on a lease which includes servicing - then gives it back to them after 3 years (or 4 - can't remember)

*beep* car - but no unexpected bills. In a way it does seem to make sense.
hutchy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lad down the road used to lease his don,t know which company but he had been with them a long time and then out of the blue when he took it in for service or swapped he was being charged for all sorts of things small scratches few marks on the seats etc so he got rid and bought a cheap runaround Wink
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
Swmbo has a new Nissan Juke (8 weeks old now).

She pays £200 a month on a lease which includes servicing - then gives it back to them after 3 years (or 4 - can't remember)

*beep* car - but no unexpected bills. In a way it does seem to make sense.

For some, it does make sense. Particularly for those who get a company car allowance so wouldn't own their own car anyway.  The downside to these leasing deals is that there's often a hefty up-front payment, which you never get back, plus as Hutchy says there's the risk of being hit with charges for what many people would consider is just fair wear and tear.

I guess most of us on here are part of the 'car culture' in one way or another. Young people today haven't bought into it, in fact they abhor it. Neither of my adult children own cars, and neither of my nephews even have driving licences.  I can understand it. Cars can take up a disproportionate amount of income and time. Same for dogs! I'm into both.  Laughing
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that with modern cars being so complex, young blokes don't get the experience of buying an old banger and doing it up. They don't seem to have the practical skills anyway.

Maybe they are put off driving as these days "driving" seems to mean sitting in traffic most of the time.
hutchy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem is today,s generation just want everything done for them including driving with these fancy systems that brake for yo to prevent collision.. headlights that turn with the steering the list is endless..true drivers know how to read the road looking for hazards and even basic knowledge like checking the oil changing a wheel,even though most cars don,t have a spare now a days just a daft bottle of glue *beep* and a small compressor which if you use the price of the stuff from the dealers is more than a new tyre... Exclamation
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

hutchy wrote:
problem is today,s generation just want everything done for them including driving with these fancy systems that brake for yo to prevent collision.. headlights that turn with the steering the list is endless..true drivers know how to read the road looking for hazards and even basic knowledge like checking the oil changing a wheel,even though most cars don,t have a spare now a days just a daft bottle of glue *beep* and a small compressor which if you use the price of the stuff from the dealers is more than a new tyre... Exclamation

Yep - the Juke has the glue and compressor. Not sure how hat would work if you damage a sidewall though.

The locking system is stupid. You leave the key in your pocket and press a button on the door handle to lock and unlock the car. But the key also has "lock" and " unlock" buttons. And it also has a physical key (only keyhole is for the airbags though) that pops out of it. So it seems that Nissan don't really trust their "smart key" if they have to give you a backup method.
hutchy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny talking about nissan the old guy opposite who has a mobility car has got one of those qashqui things as courtesy car while his is in and the electric handbrake is not working right on that takes 5 minutes before it will release and it decides when it should come back on or not  Laughing
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly the Juke has a normal handbrake - not electric or anything stupid.

It does switch the lights on and the wipers automatically though - something else to break in a few years
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: