eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Intermittent fault

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porridge_Wog

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 16:27    Post subject: Intermittent fault Reply with quote

Hi folks. Sorry for the duplicate post, but I probably posted in the wrong part of the forum to begin with...

I have a 2003 Shogun Sport K94W with a 4D56 engine and it has a weird intermittent fault. If I leave it idling for any  length of time then drive off, after a few miles it makes a bit of a pop, the rev counter drops to zero and it sounds like it is running on one cylinder. There is loads of smoke from the exhaust, a strong smell of diesel and it won't idle. If it turn it off and wait a few minutes then try to start it, it sometimes starts fine, other times it starts, revs a bit (to around 1500rpm) then dies. It will start again eventually. I can drive it for miles with no problem at all, then it will do this with no warning at all.

I spoke to a mechanic about it and he suggested EGR valve, so I took it off and cleaned it, which made no difference. I have now blanked the EGR at his suggestion and it is still the same.

The exhaust was blowing, so I have changed that, and the EGR is blanked. Filled it brim full of fuel and it was fine for 60 or 70 miles. Then it started pissing about again.

Today I drove it a mile and a half first thing this morning to take my dogs out for a walk. Fine all the way, on the way back it cut out after about a quarter of a mile. Trying to start it it would turn over fine, fire up, rev and die instantly. It did this for about 20 attempts to start it then fired up and ran fine. Out again after lunch, 2 miles along the road rev counter dropped to zero, the engine was still running but only just. Switched it off, struggled to get it to start, got it started and it ran for half a mile before dying again. Got it started, it ran fine for a few miles. Parked it up for an hour then drove home and it was fine. Done another 30 mile round trip in it and it has been fine.

I am thinking it might have something to do with engine temperature - once it is up to temperature it runs ok. But that could be my imagination.

Has anyone had a similar problem and have any handy hints as to what to do to sort it? Any advice much appreciated before I go setting the thing on fire....
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 16:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: