Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

No TMC channel being received.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> ICE / Radio / Sat-Nav / Alarms / Key Fobs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Svccm

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 14:42    Post subject: No TMC channel being received. Reply with quote

Hi All
New to the group and hoping someone can help.
I have recently bought a 2015 shogun 3.2 with the W-12 head unit. The sat nav etc seems to work fine but although Dynamic Route Guidance is set it doesn’t work, I have checked the TMC section and it does nothing when you search for a TMC channel.
I have read the manual and googled lots of info. I have even been into the service mode on the head unit and when I’m in the TMC section no stations are being picked up? I’m sure all my settings are correct.
Is there a separate TMC receiving module which could be faulty if so, where etc.
Next step will be removing the unit. Any advice will be appreciated.
Svccm
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 14:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

When in service mode did you look at Network/Connect Line Check > TMC Antenna ?

From what you wrote I am guessing you were referring to TMC Sensitivity only.
iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing more research on this, if the MMCS head unit is MZ360390EX then there's a 3-pin TMC Antenna socket on the back-right beneath the cooling fan vents and a 3-pin TMC Output Distribution Connector rear bottom-left corner.

(locations when viewing unit from the front)

What I believe should be happening is the external radio antenna is dual use (audio and data channels) and connects to the ANT connector (1-pin regular FM coaxial) next to the TMC Output Distribution connector. The device then does filtering to separate out the TMC frequencies and feeds them OUT of the TMC Output Distribution connector which should have a loop-back connection to the TMC Antenna socket! So instead of 2 separate antenna feeds there is one shared.

It would be best to lift the MMCS unit and take clear photos of the back to record and share if needed, as well as checking the connectors.

Code:

Pin Connector       Purpose                   Connector      Purpose
1    TMC In         TMC Detect In      <-     TMC Out        TMC Detect Out
2    TMC In         TMC Ant Gnd        <>     TMC Out        Ant Gnd
3    TMC In         TMC Ant Signal In  <-     TMC Out        Ant Signal Out
Svccm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi iam_TJ
Thanks for your reply, your right I only checked the TMC sensitivity, I’ll see if I can find and check the line connectivity tomorrow. Regarding the antenna info you have provided, this seems to be the most likely cause and would explain the issue. I’ll remove the unit tomorrow and check the antenna connections you described.
Thanks again for your help, I’ll send an update tomorrow.
Svccm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi iam_TJ
The head unit is not the one you thought it’s Part no 8750A374, Serial No 47180262, H/W Version 2.03
Are you familiar with this model?.
iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not - I'm getting the information from researching the systems online. I'm hoping the models may be similar. E.g.:

Part No: 8750A238 = MZ360390EX  (the one I describe)
Part No: 8750A319 = MZ360408EX

Part no: 8750A374 (NR-242WM-13LND1) (MMCS W-12 8750A391)

So your unit does have a different connector set-up. There is no loopback circuit - separate radio and TMC antenna inputs according to the photo of the back of the unit here:

https://www.bildelsbasen.se/img/a/a/a/db09cc/path/mnt/newftp/122/bil/lgnr/2347419_2.jpg/mitsubishi_l200_2015_radio_cd_/_multimediapanel.jpg

TMC antenna in will be to the left side of the cooling fan vents.
Svccm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 17:14    Post subject: No TMC station Reply with quote

Hi Iam_TJ
Thanks for trying to help but it looks like I’ve been defeated. The antenna to left of fan is actually the GPS antenna. I’ve had the unit out, checked for any loose wiring or dry joints, everything looks fine.
There doesn’t appear to be any TMC input on the unit so I presume that the main aerial input is used and the TMC signal is detected within the electronics internally. Really strange that every other function on the unit works perfect ?
I’m now considering buying a modern aftermarket head unit, do you know of any recommended units for a 2015 SG4 Shogun?
Thanks again
Svccm
iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

So annoying when only a few service manuals are published and then only in countries and languages that legally enforce it.

I have one other suggestion - you've got the wrong software (or radio)! (this being a pun on Apple's "you're holding it wrong" )

TMC (Traffic Message Channel) encodes its data in an extremely compact form since the number of message bits in the data channel is small. Each message is 37 bits: 11 for the event description, and 16 for the index of the location (every road junction has a unique number), and the remainder for indicating other technical information.

I'm wondering if either the radio, or navigation software version:
    1) is not UK-native
    2) is not tuning to the correct (local) RDS TMC source
    3) navigation software (update) does not contain the ITIS [0] asymmetric cryptographic public key [1] to decrypt messages
    4) navigation software does not have the U.K. location look-up tables and therefore is unable to integrate TMC events

Of all of these, and considering what you've reported, I'd investigate (3) first by ensuring there is a genuine Mitsubishi UK Navigation software in use - even if as a test it has to be an older version.

[0] Integrated Transport Information Services Ltd (ITIS) renamed to INRIX Ltd in 2020; owned by ITIS Holdings plc.
[1] ITIS sells the cryptographic public key wholesale to car manufacturers, device-manufacturers, and software publishers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> ICE / Radio / Sat-Nav / Alarms / Key Fobs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: