Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Intermittent ABS fault, 2003 Gen 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 16:34    Post subject: Intermittent ABS fault, 2003 Gen 3 Reply with quote

Since new year and getting the right (driver's) side stuck and buried in mud the ABS warning light has intermittently operated. Initially it was on almost constantly but after a thorough pressure wash of the hubs and ABS reluctors the warning light mostly stays off. Since the MOT is coming up in a few weeks I want to resolve it but it  has eluded me so far.

I found my report from 2002 when there was a failed sensor where I discovered how to read the fault codes using the ABS lamp (since my iCarSoft diagnostic tool cannot, for some reason, manage it). In that case I had to resort to a multimeter test of the ABS harness to determine which sensor had failed since the fault codes reported were confusing.

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=171882

What is weird is I note that back then the fault codes were the same as now: 11, 14, 15 (flashed in that order). Last time I recall I could not figure out how to erase the fault codes despite following the instructions in the workshop manual.

This time I figured out how to do it and the vehicle seems to accept it BUT the fault codes are still reported.

To erase the codes one should NOT have the ODB pins shorted to flash the fault codes. With vehicle ignition off hold down the brake pedal, turn ignition to On, release brake pedal within 3 seconds, then press it 10 times with the press-release cycle being less than 1 second. After that I see the ABS and Brake warning lights illuminate continuously for about 3 seconds and a loud buzzer sounds, then the lamps and buzzer goes off. Workshop manual 35B6 says the ABS lamp would illuminate for 1 second if erasure is complete.

Despite that if I re-read the fault codes the same sequence is flashed once more.

Since the codes are the same as last time and it seems like I've been unable to erase them I'm not sure if these relate to the current issue or not.

Is this procedure erasing the codes, is the buzzer meant to indicate they were erased, or is it indicating something else?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 16:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: