Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Getting a paj starter motor off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Technical FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
denissimo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 18:09    Post subject: Getting a paj starter motor off Reply with quote

Hi
I was wondering if any of you could tell me how to get the starter motor off of a 2.5 swb paj.
I have looked and looked from above and below and can see no way of getting at it. I could take it to a garage to have a new motor fitted but in the back of my car is a brand new starter and I hate paying somebody else to do a job that I can normally do myself.
If you could tell me the removal sequence, it would be much apreciated as the haynes manual just tells you to remove the bolts and take it off, but not how.
Thanks in advance
Den
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 18:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Mudlark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tried doing this once before

Take off the neg battery terminal first

Ivor Green

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture is a real bonus so from it yuo can see two bolts or rather the reverse side of them , disconect the battery , then remove the Gearbox / transfer box splash shield , this will allow yuo to get a three feet long exstention bar with a 14 mm socket on the end now with the use of a lead light or similer go between the Gearbox cross member and the tunneling and run the exstention up towrds the 14 mm bolts a littl like playing a very long shot on a snooker table , a bit of a strugle but about the only way to reach the bolts , then remove the starter arfter 1st removing any electrical connections and then refit in the reverse order , about 45 minutes should see it through .
Mudlark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just set up the whole picture sequence here :

(As it says in Haynes fitting is the reverse of removal (or as some comedian put it "fitting is the reverse of removal with just the swear words in different places")

As Ivor says it's a easy and quickish job but don't expect 45mins for your first time though Laughing
BUTCH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2.5 LWB and to be honest I had no trouble removing the starter.
The key was removing the prop. Sounds bad but it is only 4 bolts and it moves out the way giving access to the starter from below. The LWB may be different to the SWB but i would think the layout will be the same.
denissimo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having eventually found this thread again. A big thankyou. Going to attempt it this morning.
denissimo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I would like to say a big thankyou to mudlark and Ivor Green for the pics and advice. I eventually plucked up the courage to do it today and it took just over an hour to take off and put the new one back on.
You were right, take off the propshaft at the front end and splash guard and you can just about get at the bolts using the long extension and universal joint. Just wished I had smaller hands Laughing Laughing
Its great to be mobile again!
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just ask, do you have to drop the prop then?
denissimo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, just the front end otherwise there is no room to turn the ratchet (or torque wrench if your posh).
more x 4
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudlark,that's brilliant. this one needs to be moved 8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Technical FAQ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: